• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

""A luxury residential tower that will dramatically change the Durham skyline is officially topping out with a goal of opening to residents early next year.

The Novus is a 27-story tower on the site of the former South Bank building across Main Street from Bull McCabe's Irish Pub. The development is a partnership between Austin Lawrence Partners and Global Holdings, the international real estate development and investment firm led by Chairman and Founder Eyal Ofer.  

Zach Prager, director of investments, said the developers will spend most of 2024 closing up the building as it aims to allow residents to move-in in 2025.""

Durham high-rise with million-dollar condos tops out - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

does anyone know the exact height in feet of this tower?  will it be the new tallest in Durham or still 2nd to the University Tower in the suburbs? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

""A luxury residential tower that will dramatically change the Durham skyline is officially topping out with a goal of opening to residents early next year.

The Novus is a 27-story tower on the site of the former South Bank building across Main Street from Bull McCabe's Irish Pub. The development is a partnership between Austin Lawrence Partners and Global Holdings, the international real estate development and investment firm led by Chairman and Founder Eyal Ofer.  

Zach Prager, director of investments, said the developers will spend most of 2024 closing up the building as it aims to allow residents to move-in in 2025.""

Durham high-rise with million-dollar condos tops out - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

does anyone know the exact height in feet of this tower?  will it be the new tallest in Durham or still 2nd to the University Tower in the suburbs? 

The Novus and One City Center tie for the 2nd tallest towers in Durham.  Both buildings are 27-story residential towers located in downtown Durham.  The Novus and One City Center are each 300 ft./91 m. tall.

University Tower remains the tallest building in the city of Durham.  It is 17-stories high and situated along the Bus. 15/501 bypass southwest of downtown Durham.  University Tower is 356 ft./108.5 m. tall.

Links:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novus_(Durham)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_City_Center_(Durham)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_North_Carolina

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been curious how the University Tower came to be built where it is.  Such a random place for a 300+ footer.  My assumption was that downtown Durham was such a ghost town in the '80s that even office space was pushed out to the suburbs.  But I've never been able to find out for sure why.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 7:35 PM, nicholas said:

I've always been curious how the University Tower came to be built where it is.  Such a random place for a 300+ footer.  My assumption was that downtown Durham was such a ghost town in the '80s that even office space was pushed out to the suburbs.  But I've never been able to find out for sure why.

it is  what you just said.  Downtown Durham in the 1980s was in the dumps closed factories, abandoned buildings etc.  Now it is the booming heart of the city and county.  I remember downtown Durham in the 1980s and it was not a nice place.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, nicholas said:

It was originally meant to be part of 2 or 3 towers. But only 1 was ever built. I had made post on another forum of high rises that never came to be in Durham. But I can no longer find the source for my post. I think it was from Open Durham's site but don't see mention of the additional towers there anymore. I just see mentions on reddit.  Its tough to find info on some of these out there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...