The "New" Memphis Brooks Museum of Art

James Owen

56 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

It's probably a good thing they don't have trees, so people can actually see the cobblestones. Some landscaping would be nice, to break up the monotony of stones. I don't agree with the parking.

What do you not agree with?  I don’t even know if there will be parking there anymore or not. 

22 hours ago, MDC26 said:

What do you not agree with?  I don’t even know if there will be parking there anymore or not. 

Won't parking contribute to the wear and tear of the cobblestones? This isn't a parking lot, and since people will be visiting the fountains, it may look tacky to see cars parked on the cobblestones. People need to envision what it was once like in the past being that it is an integral part of our history. If there needs to be parking, park near the Tennessee Welcome Center, etc.

4 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Won't parking contribute to the wear and tear of the cobblestones? This isn't a parking lot, and since people will be visiting the fountains, it may look tacky to see cars parked on the cobblestones. People need to envision what it was once like in the past being that it is an integral part of our history. If there needs to be parking, park near the Tennessee Welcome Center, etc.

I don’t know. The cobblestones probably hold up better than asphalt. It’s a massive area with nothing on it.  I doubt there will be hundreds of people frolicking along it at any time.  In its hey day it probably wasn’t  pretty - it would have been filled with cotton bales, other parcels, lumber, carts, and mules. I do hope they break it up and put out some planters with nice landscaping. I’m fine either way regarding parking. I’m sure the local riverboat company would prefer parking on it.