Eastside Developments

westsider28

4 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

If this eyesore of a building is demolished and an attractive storage facility is constructed (i.e. John B White Blvd where the Camelot Cinema once stood) this would be a huge improvement.  BTW, that building was a Bi Lo supermarket that was constructed in the 70's.

Nah, storage facilities are worthless.  And it would lock in that land use for years/decades.  Why are we seeing worse land-use now than in the 70s?  Your example is another step backwards from a business that contributed to community vitality, entertainment, and amenities to one that doesn't.  An abandoned building at least has the possibility of something better. 

I don't subscribe to the "we must get rid of eyesores at any cost" mentality.  That's how we've lost so much history.  Not saying this particular building is historic, but the site deserves so much more than being a repository for people's crap.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 1:10 PM, westsider28 said:

Nah, storage facilities are worthless.  And it would lock in that land use for years/decades.  Why are we seeing worse land-use now than in the 70s?  Your example is another step backwards from a business that contributed to community vitality, entertainment, and amenities to one that doesn't.  An abandoned building at least has the possibility of something better. 

I don't subscribe to the "we must get rid of eyesores at any cost" mentality.  That's how we've lost so much history.  Not saying this particular building is historic, but the site deserves so much more than being a repository for people's crap.

100% correct.

Not that I want even more residential development in my backyard, but I'd rather see that site turned into a pocket neighborhood, a shoping plaza, a community park.... anything but yet another storage facility. 

Edited by Spartanburg Dude

Converse Mill Lofts now has a website, with history of the mill, list of amenities, and a projected Summer-2023 opening.

Also in the Town of Cowpens, the old Cowpens Cotton Mill site (4.5 acres) is now for-sale ($449k).  It still contains some remnants of the mill, like the building's tower and the water tank.

Edited by westsider28

On 11/29/2022 at 8:49 AM, roads-scholar said:

If this eyesore of a building is demolished and an attractive storage facility is constructed (i.e. John B White Blvd where the Camelot Cinema once stood) this would be a huge improvement.  BTW, that building was a Bi Lo supermarket that was constructed in the 70's.

Would love to see an example of a storage facility that is attractive haha. But seriously, literally anything would be better than that eyesore.

On 11/29/2022 at 1:10 PM, westsider28 said:

To be fair, the US is over-retailed which is why we have so many vacant storefronts and Spartanburg was also growing east until I-26 was complete so there was a good reason to build a store there at one time. Somewhat ironically, if trends keep going the way they are over the next 10-20 years we may need a grocery store at that location.

• 4 weeks later...

A new Gourmet coffee and tea bar is coming to Weber Square. It will be in STE 100 (far corner of the strip part of the center). There will be unique coffee creations, tea and some breakfast / lunch options. 

Renovations on the center have been slow to start, but there's been some movement. Hopefully soon the eye sore will be no more and a nice neighborhood shopping center will be in its place. 

I'll have more details that I can share soon. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

A new Gourmet coffee and tea bar is coming to Weber Square. It will be in STE 100 (far corner of the strip part of the center). There will be unique coffee creations, tea and some breakfast / lunch options. 

Renovations on the center have been slow to start, but there's been some movement. Hopefully soon the eye sore will be no more and a nice neighborhood shopping center will be in its place. 

I'll have more details that I can share soon. 

Looking forward to it! Let me know if you want a bit of promo for it on FB.

• Like 1

There appears that a coffee shop is also coming to LeBarone/Viking Plaza, with a possible drive thru as well as a new street that would connect to Home Depot/SHS. I've seen coffee shops near schools do well - gives the kids a place to walk to and wait for their parents while doing homework and the like. Plus, drive thru after dropping off kids makes a LOT of sense! Developers may also add a chain store between that plaza and Home Depot. They are looking for suggestions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Santi said:

There appears that a coffee shop is also coming to LeBarone/Viking Plaza, with a possible drive thru as well as a new street that would connect to Home Depot/SHS. I've seen coffee shops near schools do well - gives the kids a place to walk to and wait for their parents while doing homework and the like. Plus, drive thru after dropping off kids makes a LOT of sense! Developers may also add a chain store between that plaza and Home Depot. They are looking for suggestions.

Hope that new street happens.  That would be very helpful for connectivity.

Coffee shop is a slam dunk, but I doubt students would make the 1/2-mile walk (everyone drives these days).  Soliciting community suggestions seems a bit amateur-ish (and suggests they're a long way from construction). The only chain store that would be remotely exciting to me would be Trader Joe's.

Apologies for the double post, but I saw in today's Planning Commission agenda that a site plan has been approved for Tommy's Express Car Wash at 2595 East Main (former bowling alley).  This appears to be a national chain, and looking at their other locations, it probably won't take up the whole lot (which would likely leave space for something else, as well).

Let me state again my utter disdain for the onslaught of car washes lately.  This makes at least 4 planned/underway within City limits alone, plus all the existing ones.  IDK how this many are sustainable.  Personally, I use a car wash maybe twice a year...

6 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Coffee shop is a slam dunk, but I doubt students would make the 1/2-mile walk (everyone drives these days).  Soliciting community suggestions seems a bit amateur-ish (and suggests they're a long way from construction). The only chain store that would be remotely exciting to me would be Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's seems to be out, as they prefer to be near highways with heavy traffic. Hence, that site would be out.

20 hours ago, westsider28 said:

The possible big retailer/restaurant would be a Phase II project, so that aspect is farther out than what is already happening with the existing building.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Apologies for the double post, but I saw in today's Planning Commission agenda that a site plan has been approved for Tommy's Express Car Wash at 2595 East Main (former bowling alley).  This appears to be a national chain, and looking at their other locations, it probably won't take up the whole lot (which would likely leave space for something else, as well).

Let me state again my utter disdain for the onslaught of car washes lately.  This makes at least 4 planned/underway within City limits alone, plus all the existing ones.  IDK how this many are sustainable.  Personally, I use a car wash maybe twice a year...

You were not wrong! It looks like they will use the chunk closer to E. Main Street. Here are some of the relevant site plan sections:

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 14.01.52.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 14.01.24.png

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Santi said:

I've heard that Circle K is still an option. A rumor, BUT! It would make sense for a gas station to still go into that building area, especially with the car wash combo up front. 

That wouldn't surprise me.  So depressing that the Eastside seems to be following the Westside down the path of car-dominated hellscape.

22 hours ago, westsider28 said:

That wouldn't surprise me.  So depressing that the Eastside seems to be following the Westside down the path of car-dominated hellscape.

From a post I did once about the QT coming across Ingles:

"LET'S REVIEW what's PLANNED/COMING:

▪️PLAINVIEW TRACT
- 57 new townhomes
- Same area, between Plainview Dr. and Plainview Dr. Ext.
▪️EAST MAIN TOWNES
- 30 new townhomes
- Between Foster's Garden Center & Ingles
▪️EAST MAIN MEADOWS
- 52 townhomes near the Daniel Morgan Technology Center
▪️ELLISON DEVELOPMENT
- 166 townhomes, 203 patio homes, 242 cottages coming
- A bit further down Main Street
▪️BRIARWOOD RESERVE
- 107 single family residential homes
- Intersection of Zion Hill Road & Sloan Groves Rd
▪️BERKLEY
- 138 townhomes and 316 single family homes
- Cannons Campground Road
▪️HALLBROOK TOWNES
- 445 townhomes
- Floyd Road, practically behind Berkley.

So - 1,756 NEW RESIDENTIAL UNITS, right there."

Am I forgetting anything?

That IS going to be a lot of cars. Perhaps the car washes will be fine/merited after all. 

Also - tried to make it a bit better where the car wash will go. It will use up mostly the East Main Street / Webber Road, yet also cut into the parking lot access. 

Would the remaining parking be enough for the Star Lanes to be used as a retailer? Or if demolished, a shopping strip? I can't unsee a gas station there, but just wondering through the different options.

1460342421_ScreenShot2023-01-21at13_22_30.png

Edited by NotNotSanti

At County Council's Monday meeting, they will vote on certifying the old shopping center at Fernwood-Glendale and Clifton-Glendale as an abandoned building site.  This will provide tax credits for redevelopment.  The document says the estimated rehabilitation cost is $2M, and interestingly, there will be no new construction on the property.  So I guess they're renovating the existing building?  The 720 Group LLC (owner) is registered to RMR Development, which does self-storage facilities (as was mentioned before about this site). 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Saw in UBJ's CRE transactions article that W Square has leased spots to Burrito Hub (known), Hidden Bean (hinted at by @Spartanburg DudeI believe), and Thai Basil.

I love the Burrito Hub's birria tacos and chips with salsa as well as Hidden Bean's cold brew (admittedly it's been awhile since I stopped by both of them).  As a fan of Thai food, I can't wait to also visit Thai Basil for drunken noodles and green curry as well!!

Edited by SpartanBorn&Raised
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 8:37 PM, SpartanBorn&Raised said:

I love the Burrito Hub's birria tacos and chips with salsa as well as Hidden Bean's cold brew (admittedly it's been awhile since I stopped by both of them).  As a fan of Thai food, I can't wait to also visit Thai Basil for drunken noodles and green curry as well!!

Indeed.... We've grabbed a spot at W Square for a new coffee concept. But it won't be Hidden Bean (though it'll be a similar menu and same beans). The Shop will be called Milltown Coffee Co.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brief article on W Square.  It mentions a new (to me at least) tenant: The Beerded Cork Taproom — taproom designed to be a family and pet friendly gathering space.  Also looks like work has begun on upfitting the existing building(s).  The announced tenants are really solid to be somewhat of a community hangout spot, it's just a bummer the place isn't really walkable to/from anywhere.

Edit: H-J article with additional details

Edited by westsider28
Added article
  • Like 1