SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

27 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

In terms of residential high rises you have these:

1. Southern Land tower at Trolleys End pub site  30 stories

2. Just announced Stiles and Catalyst tower at Price Chicken Coop site 30 stories

3.  Greystar's 24 story Ascent Southend at the Walgreens site

Cousins will have a high rise on W Tremont residential of some height but high rise nonetheless 

Portman's 22 story apartment high rise on Sycamore brewery site 

Not counting the office towers which deserve their own threads because of tenant news etc like Stiles 110 East  23 stories ,  CenterSouth by Fallon, and future announcements on the Enterprise rental car site which was having some soil testing done recently.  

There is also a 20+ story tower proposed right next to the Southern Lands tower

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Urban Cowboy said:

That’s my concern, too. But the free market is determining the current development areas. And the momentum is in SouthEnd. 

North Tryon and first ward are slow to move forward because of Levine (as you mentioned), public money and interest, and place-making projects that seem to take longer to get off the ground. North Tryon is also home to, and in close proximity to, several non-profits that provide services to our homeless community. Doesn’t bother me personally, but I have to imagine the noticeable numbers of homeless people on the north end of Tryon does stifle growth or at minimum, desirability to live and work in that specific area. 

The homeless are why I would never choose to live along the north tryin corridor. I know it sounds callous but they are insufferable and make spending time in those areas  miserable. It would be more tolerable if there was a significant cost difference to live there, but it still has a premium price.

12 minutes ago, Niner National said:

The homeless are why I would never choose to live along the north tryin corridor. I know it sounds callous but they are insufferable and make spending time in those areas  miserable. It would be more tolerable if there was a significant cost difference to live there, but it still has a premium price.

Growth can be self fulfilling as well. If North Tryon had the Levine land developed, it might have solved some of the homeless issues in the immediate area. SouthEnd had homeless and drug issues (still does) but as the area has grown, it has pushed a lot of that out. I suspect we will hear 20 more towers in SouthEnd over the next year +. Still so much usable and developable land. 

If you try to run from the homeless or less fortunate of our brethren you will need to buy a place in a gated community.  I have lived downtown since 1999 and have experienced homeless on the streets.  It is not as huge problem as many think.  Many on the streets have mental issues and that is sad that they cannot get, or in some cases accept, the help they need.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Second thought: Has the internet eliminated streetwalkers? Only in the most drug ridden areas would I assume to find such transactions, while in the 70's and later it was a feature occasionally found in Dilworth and other close ring neighborhoods

Can’t speak to that directly, but one of the first business types killed off by the internet was adult bookstores and theaters. The elimination of those gutted traditional red light districts which made cities considerably more “family friendly”. I would imagine that the streetwalkers got gentrified out of their normal haunts in this process.

• Like 4