SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

Charlotte absolutely needs more of this kind of thing with its historic structures. If memory serves, in Seattle this was essentially required by design review in certain zones. I'd think it's pretty rare that you'll find a developer who wants to do this on their own free will, so the city's zoning or development process will have to require it. I think you could specify that every building with a historic designation must be saved, and I think that would help.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

DC has a huge construction boom going on for quite some time (beating out Seattle in the crane count a couple years ago). One thing done in DC that I want SouthEnd to emulate is saving facades and older structures even when rag tag.

Saw this project announced and it reminded me of SouthEnd and some of the structures currently being torn down:

BEFORE

spacer.png

spacer.png

AFTER (Renderings):

spacer.png

spacer.png

Are there structures in SE being torn down of this significance? I haven’t seen them.

Just now, Durhamite said:

Are there structures in SE being torn down of this significance? I haven’t seen them.

I meant size wise….

Question is - do you introduce a restrictive regulatory framework because you think the scale of historic structure loss is impactful enough to warrant one?

Personally, I simply don't see it.  Private developers have saved and reused Atherton Mill, Design Center, Krispy Kreme HQ and testing kitchen, and a bunch of random 1-story warehouses that meant nothing really but have been done up nicely with Skiptown in one and the new Puttery in another.  Pins Mechanical was also a reuse.  The new food hall fronting Tryon at Dunavant is also going to be reused.  Also, the new "Quarter" district over in Wilmore is all preserved buildings and reuse.  Developers are saving Savona Mill here on the westside.  Tons of reuse with the Lower Tuck development.  

Sure some go, but Charlotte private developers have done a great job preserving and creatively reusing, as far as I'm concerned.  In fact, they're doing enough of it where I'd push back on introducing new regulatory restrictions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

Question is - do you introduce a restrictive regulatory framework because you think the scale of historic structure loss is impactful enough to warrant one?

Personally, I simply don't see it.  Private developers have saved and reused Atherton Mill, Design Center, Krispy Kreme HQ and testing kitchen, and a bunch of random 1-story warehouses that meant nothing really but have been done up nicely with Skiptown in one and the new Puttery in another.  Pins Mechanical was also a reuse.  The new food hall fronting Tryon at Dunavant is also going to be reused.  Also, the new "Quarter" district over in Wilmore is all preserved buildings and reuse.  Developers are saving Savona Mill here on the westside.  Tons of reuse with the Lower Tuck development.  

Sure some go, but Charlotte private developers have done a great job preserving and creatively reusing, as far as I'm concerned.  In fact, they're doing enough of it where I'd push back on introducing new regulatory restrictions.

I think the distinction is adaptive reuse vs. knocking down a historic building to build a new development. Nobody is going to knock down an old warehouse/factory to then build a new warehouse-like space, but almost every developer will knock down a warehouse to build a tower. That's what we have to worry about right now in Charlotte.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

I'm more of a carrot rather than stick sort of person. Incentivize saving existing buildings and facades where appropriate. I think integrating in the existing Boulevard Films building into the new project would have been an interesting design challenge with the potential for good outcomes. The materials and detail on this building are better than 75% of the schlock that's gone up in the past five years in South End. That said, I do think we should have PUNITIVE (stick) approaches for really crummy (done as cheaply and without any regard for the design environment) development. EIFS, unscreened parking decks, acres of parking lots in front of buildings and not connecting to pedestrian infrastructure should all be fined into oblivion.

17 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Private developers have saved and reused Atherton Mill,

The apartments they put into this development are pretty awful and the engagement of the businesses with the street along with the parking deck is pretty bad too. This could have been done so much better and yet, schlock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidclt said:

I'm more of a carrot rather than stick sort of person. Incentivize saving existing buildings and facades where appropriate. I think integrating in the existing Boulevard Films building into the new project would have been an interesting design challenge with the potential for good outcomes. The materials and detail on this building are better than 75% of the schlock that's gone up in the past five years in South End. That said, I do think we should have PUNITIVE (stick) approaches for really crummy (done as cheaply and without any regard for the design environment) development. EIFS, unscreened parking decks, acres of parking lots in front of buildings and not connecting to pedestrian infrastructure should all be fined into oblivion.

The apartments they put into this development are pretty awful and the engagement of the businesses with the street along with the parking deck is pretty bad too. This could have been done so much better and yet, schlock.

I agree, I’m more carrot than stick as well.

Also know cities evolve at different paces and represent various risk premia when trying to secure funding.  Some of us wish we looked more like DC, while someone in Birmingham or Richmond wishes they were more like Charlotte.  We point to some building in DC that exposes all of our “supposed failings,” and meanwhile someone in St Louis struggles to hold on to Centene because of how hot Charlotte is.

Personally, I’m more focused on pedestrian orientation and access as well as sustainable development (that is, carbon minimization).  The aesthetics of incorporating 1 and 2 story former warehouse, brick block buildings in south end likely involve lots of difference of opinion/dispersion in preferences.
I just don’t think there’s a lot of consensus on the richness of South End’s historical building stock, which is likely why there’s not been tons of impassioned pleas for legislated preservation.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Next week is going to a big week in this thread and several new threads will sprout.  #Southend #Rising (a lot) 

Love this new brick Ascent Southend tower. 

Will next week bring news of new projects that we have not heard of, or will it be renderings of (or some other news about) potential buildings that have already been discussed? 

• Haha 1