SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The project will include 400,000 square feet of office space, ground-floor retail and other amenities, including a rooftop terrace

Does anyone have an estimation of how tall this building could be based on these stats? I didn't see the floor-count anywhere in the articles in the Observer or on Axios.

3 hours ago, ScottCLT said:

Does anyone have an estimation of how tall this building could be based on these stats? I didn't see the floor-count anywhere in the articles in the Observer or on Axios.

I believe there is a height ordinance in this part of Southend, so my guess is the 21-26 story range. 

The height ordinance is interestingly partly why they are building most new high rises in this area as opposed to the parcels closest to uptown. If you can’t build higher for the foreseeable future it is a safe investment to build now, as opposed to a Lowes tech style building at the cabaret site which will only increase in value. I am okay with it because it will concentrate development in one place meaning that when the northern parts of south end start to rise we will already have a dense pocket of high rises along Hawkins. I believe this will further break south end up into “sub neighborhoods” as the Hawkins corridor becomes a well realized distinct district while north of Hawkins becomes an extension of uptown. 

10 hours ago, ScottCLT said:

Depending on the floor plate sizes, this building (400K SF) could be anywhere from 300’ to 350’ tall.  Podium style parking deck could also affect the building height.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

After the South Ends highrise boom ends, which other neighborhoods do you think will see their own highrise boom?

Its only beginning, lets not talk about it ending. But Ballantyne is already planned for more highrise density. UC would be good and I would like to see Pineville. Both UC and Pineville have good  transport access and available land.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

Woah. Woah.

These are all set to happen and/or under construction already?

I had no idea it was this much, holy cow. That is going to be seriously impressive. Is there a list of approved/under construction high-rises maintained on this forum somewhere?

I think the silhouettes with letters are more likely than not to happen in this cycle.  The ones with question marks are, well, questionable.

7 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I think the silhouettes with letters are more likely than not to happen in this cycle.  The ones with question marks are, well, questionable.

So there are 15 that will probably be built this cycle, with another 5 that are questionable. I do believe there are a few not shown on the map.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

That image really illustrates part of the reason why North Tryon is having trouble getting some momentum. 

Exactly - SouthEnd is just hot right now and commanding a lot of investment & attention.  The immediate vicinity of the planned med-school will see near-term Highrise activity (School itself & Northwood @ Metropolitan) late this year as well.

Someone mentioned UC & Pineville prior - but I just don’t see any major progress on true Highrise investment there bc 1, too much available land in UC and 2, Pineville is too close to Ballantyne Reimagined which is going to attract any & all planned highrises to itself for the foreseeable future in the same way SouthEnd is doing that from the 4 Uptown Wards (except LU).  

• Like 2