SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

Seemingly some activity at 1601 S Blvd, a half-acre lot across 3 parcels and the current home of Sandwich Max and Beijing Chinese. The project is called South and E Park and is owned by Newton Properties.

This property was not on my radar, anyone know of any plans here? Hoping for something significant

https://aca-prod.accela.com/CHARLOTTE/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=22LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00044&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE&IsToShowInspection=

825403281_ScreenShot2022-02-14at6_17_43PM.thumb.png.eaa930c81f380398bf8869a64cad3775.png

• Like 3

The Newtons also own the Miller Business  (former A&P) at Park Avenue at the Light Rail line. I occasionally used the Beijing restaurant because it was close and there were never more than a few people there, sometime I alone. I went by last week at dinner time and was saying this very thing as I looked in the window while passing and there was no one. Both those businesses seemed to be placeholder operations. Enough rent to cover minimum landlord expenses until market conditions provided an exit. Newton also owns 1605 and 1609 South so a decent size property.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, atlrvr said:

I honestly feel like this building adds more to the streetscape than The Polk Building (unpopular opinion alert).   Mostly because they actually have foot traffic, and the setbacks are nice, and the brick has a nice texture.

Oh man, I agree.  I always thought it looked nice and both Beijing and the sandwich shop seem to be moderately busy whenever I'm passing by with lots of foot traffic. Hopefully whatever happens here will have equally as good street/pedestrian interaction.

15 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Beijing has changed owners twice in the last 10 years.  It's solid, but not spectacular.  Driving 2x as far, I'm not going to find 2x better ;)

It's moderately busy.  Most of the business is take out.  I would miss it.

I honestly feel like this building adds more to the streetscape than The Polk Building (unpopular opinion alert).   Mostly because they actually have foot traffic, and the setbacks are nice, and the brick has a nice texture.

Beijing is decent and feels like it would be at home in a bigger city and for my American Chinese fix, their General Tso's is awesome. Feels retro. Looking at it across the street and squinting, I can almost imagine I'm in a larger city. I wish we had a real Chinese Dim Sum here.

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Look for a high rise hotel with some office space to go up right next to the world headquarters of Krispy Kreme on Hawkins by Om Shera.  Across from Portman's Line tower. 

and I do believe Southend is woefully under developed in hotels and I think that will change in the next few years. 

Oh yeah the little studios next the Line has a new gravel parking lot I noticed.  

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

Thanks so much Kburg for your insight and info!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 6:53 AM, Reverie39 said:

It was definitely striking to me when I looked at one point and found very few hotels in South End. Given the easy Blue Line access I would’ve thought some hotels would show up. 

I caught the bus to the Blue Line from the airport once. I was curious how long it would take.. My wife and daughter were going to meet me uptown. It literally took me an hour to get to the Woodlawn Station. That, after a lot of puzzled looks at the airport as to how I could reach The Blue Line via city bus.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TCLT said:

Why take a bus from the airport to Woodlawn (or a blue line station in general) if you’re trying to get uptown? They have the Sprinter bus service to CTC: https://charlottenc.gov/cats/bus/routes/Pages/airport-connector.aspx.

Because, as I mentioned, I was curious. I should've said I was curious how long it would take to get to The South End. I would've tried the express and then caught the rail down, but since my wife and kid were already uptown waiting I didn't do that.  My point was, if you're looking to stay at a hotel in The South End because of the light rail, I'm not sure there's an easy way, other than actual hotel shuttles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beige-a-vu said:

Does anyone know if that little two story outcrop at the bottom right (carson and tryon) is the current enterprise building being reused? Seems like the same location and size of that building.

I believe that is the Midnight Diner, and the new tower pictured would be built where the Enterprise building currently is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, j-man said:

Haven’t seen this rendering here yet so here ya go. 

F1E04A6E-AFA5-4197-88AA-06305B6FB580.jpeg

This looks so good. I wonder if we can expect some high-rises in between here and 277 one day too (on the north side of Morehead, between Church and the Blue Line). The skyline will be a little disconnected until then. From what I see right now (Google Maps) there's a few lots there occupied by parking lots and low-rises, and a 277 ramp onto College that seems entirely unnecessary given the presence of an identical ramp onto South like two blocks away lol. Maybe all those can be developed further.

Edited by Reverie39
  • Like 2