SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

28 minutes ago, DMann said:

If you try to run from the homeless or less fortunate of our brethren you will need to buy a place in a gated community.  I have lived downtown since 1999 and have experienced homeless on the streets.  It is not as huge problem as many think.  Many on the streets have mental issues and that is sad that they cannot get, or in some cases accept, the help they need.  

You hit nail  on the head here. We have worked first hand to provide shelter for our “citizens without housing” for over a decade and can testify firsthand that many of these citizens are quite content to remain in their current situation, and refuse any and all attempts at shelter provision. Case in point, the gentleman under the bus stop at BofA Corporate, 100 N. Tryon has no interest in moving from his current bus stop shelter.  He will accept food, and funds, but refuses to move. And yes there are mental issues and it’s very sad. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

Light rail opened in 2004?  Since then.

2007, but yes. However it has gone through the roof in the past 5 years or less. Most of the first developments post light rail were of the Texas Donut variety, the Arlington being the notable exception. Even the newer stick built structures are of a higher standard than in the past. A few examples are the apartments where The Union is located, and Camden Southline, and my brother's piss stained building, MAA 1225 (formerly 1225 S. Church.) Recently the density and growth is insane, and knowing someone who lives near the Carolina Foods plant, there is MUCH more room for growth. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I don't remember any of that level of seediness (sure, more vagrancy behind industrial uses along South Blvd south of Tremont).  I moved into the neighborhood in 2004, and everything north of East Blvd was very clean, and similar to today.  East Blvd itself has always been nice, going back to at least the mid-90's.  In fact, a Whole Foods before they opened at South Park, the first site they considered in Charlotte was at East/Kenilworth, where the apartment building is now.

Worthington and Tremont, were still a mixed-bag then (2004), and a significant discount to the North side of East.   I wouldn't call it urban pioneers, but there were a lot of DIYer's fixing up those bungalows, next to lots of either long time residents in dilapidated houses and rental houses that sort of took whatever tenants they could get.

McDonald and Magnolia were JUST seeing the first couple of tear downs (probably started 2005).  Before that, it was all working class bungalows with quite a few drug houses.  Ideal Way was considered an ironic name, given no one would have thought anything about it was Ideal.  Kirkwood (next to the Food Lion) was uniformly called Crackwood.

All that said, even back in the mid-90's South Blvd was more a mix of light industrial, and some restaurants and retail.   Atherton Mill has been a thing since  early-mid-90's, with "South End Brewery" before micro brews were on every street corner.  (Edit:  Should have given a shout of to Dilworth Brewing Co which I think actually opened in the late 1980's where Bakersfield is today, as the OG microbrew house)

The biggest change to "lower South End" though was Lowe's and the condos wrapping it back in 2005.  It eliminated a lot of businesses where the vagrants did hang out in the back, and kicked-off the rapid change of residential character of Magnolia and south of there.

That's my brief history, but would say Tarhoosier's description is probably at least 1980's.

My limited memory of the 1980's in Dilworth were limited to Charlotte Symphony play at the bandshell in the lake at Freedom Park (and obligatory climb on both the locomotive and Army tank beforehand) and Charlotte O's AA baseball team, where Olmstead Park is today.....happy moments, but at that age I would have thought a streetwalker was just someone dressed up "fancy".

Interesting account, however I have to contest that the Lowe's was built that early on, I can't recall exactly, but I believe it was built post light rail for sure. 

@Conformity can tell us for sure since he developed the condos.  I was on the DCDA board, I believe  starting in Jan 2006, and the vote on whether to support it or not was month a few months prior.

Looking back at UP, there was a thread on it.  Looks like clearing those industrial buildings (and I think car battery store) didn't actually happen until 2Q06, so we'll split the difference on timing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nakers2 said:

Interesting account, however I have to contest that the Lowe's was built that early on, I can't recall exactly, but I believe it was built post light rail for sure. 

Lowes opened up in late 2008. I remember this because Monty Ritchie of Conformity Corp was a contributor here and he generously gave a bunch of UPers a tour just before things were finished. I remember atlrvr greeting a UPer who worked at Wachovia with the question “so, hows the new CEO?” shortly after Ken Thompson was fired. 

I also remember that Conformity Corp got super squeezed by changes to mortgage underwriting requirements following the crash in 2008. The changes suddenly meant that there was too much commercial space in Southborough for federally backed mortgages to be written for the residential sales. Despite the bad timing, this was a truly remarkable and transformative project, and it is still used as a case study in MBA classes today.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, stw52 said:

Charlotte does deserve its own museum for this stuff.

https://charlottemuseum.org/exhibits/: You may enjoy the "Charlotte Neighborhoods" exhibit and the "Charlotte: Signs of Home" exhibit. 

Also check out: https://www.museumofthenewsouth.org/exhibits/

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

I think @Mgelbachhas a story he can tell how far Southend has come from his fathers business that was located there.  I will let him tell it.  I had fond memories of going to the Spaghetti Warehouse in the design center where Superica was back in the early 1990s and that area was majorly sketchy thank goodness I parked in the lot where the Lowes tower is today and rushed into the doors.  My grandma worked in the Nebel Mill where Superica was back in the 1950s.  

• Like 1

thanks that looks like my old white Isuzu Trooper in the parking lot LOL  I called it the Refrigerator.  

Hey at least no parking worries back in the day! on parking congestion around Prices soon to be home to its own 30 story apartment tower. 

Check out the tower Southern Land did in Philly I will take one like that on the Trolleys End pub site 

Southern Land Company | MULTI-FAMILY  top left on Sanson 

• Like 3

On 11/16/2021 at 7:33 PM, Blue_Devil said:

Lets use this thread to discuss everything going up in SouthEnd larger than a Texas Donut.

1. Southern Land tower at Tyber Creek pub site  30 stories

2. Unnamed 20+ story tower next to Southern Land site

3. Just announced Stiles and Catalyst tower at Price Chicken Coop site 30 stories

4.  Greystar's 24 story Ascent Southend at the Walgreens site (+ eventual 2nd tower once Walgreens moves).

5. Cousins will have a high rise on W Tremont/Doggett residential of some height but high rise nonetheless  (Possibly 2 highrise towers 20+)

6. Portman's 22 story apartment high rise on Sycamore brewery site 

7. Stiles 110 East  23 stories (Eventual second apartment tower)  

8. CenterSouth by Fallon, 12 stories

9. Unannounced highrise behind railyard

10. Unannounced Cousins project at Slate/Brickyard/Hot Taco site (700,000+ square ft)

11. 20+ story office project next to Suffolk Punch

12. Enterprise Rental redevelopment (rumored to be 500ft +, and 2 towers)

13. Midnight Dinner/Uptown Cab redevelopment (3 towers, with one being 600ft +)

14. Lowe's tower phase 2 (originally to be a West Elm hotel, now possibly Apartments)

15. LoSo Towers at Scaleybark.  (2 towers)

16. Morehead 200 block tower (developer who built Jenga tower in Austin)

So - Curious to know which of any of these proposed Towers needed Rezonings or if the New TOD Blanket Zonings (And possibly the New UDO) preclude these from needing Rezoning?   Has the City under Taiwo Jayeoba leadership turned on the Development Spigot Full Blast with the new rules?

4 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

So - Curious to know which of any of these proposed Towers needed Rezonings or if the New TOD Blanket Zonings (And possibly the New UDO) preclude these from needing Rezoning?   Has the City under Taiwo Jayeoba leadership turned on the Development Spigot Full Blast with the new rules?

I think all of the new towers are within 1/4 mile of a station, so the parcels are already TOD (and have been since 2006).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, kermit said:

I think all of the new towers are within 1/4 mile of a station, so the parcels are already TOD (and have been since 2006).

Damn it’ll be nice to not have City Council political input into these projects but rather the professional city staffers.  I saw something yesterday about some pushback from City Council and/or Meck Commissioners concerning the Med School Innovation District assistance which seems to be counter-intuitive.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 2