SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

A delay of the sake of nothing is not a restriction. Idk what it is, but it’s nothing but something that cost both a developer and society at large negatively for nothing gained.

Also considering the fact that this project isn’t very tall, isn’t adding more parking, AND helps preserve the facade of this building as to preserve the original structures architecture at ground and incorporating a nice low or mid? Rise on top with good design and materials. On the other hand I’ve seen historic buildings that have been bulldozed and delaying the development didn’t stop that from happening. I think this is a good project that satisfies the blocks aesthetic and architecture while adding on top a nice building and improving the old to add more natural light, but overall the same feel and material. Not many projects do this “add-on” to the nice-looking older one story buildings in Charlotte. This project I believe includes retail which that side of Worthington Ave. (across from Lowes Tech) would benefit from a pedestrian perspective as well as the alley way. I see a skew of positives versus negatives compared to other projects in similar circumstances. Well…at least other projects like such in Charlotte.
  • Like 4

So there are 2 different commissions.  Historic Districts (for projects planned within certain neighborhood boundaries) and Historic Landmarks which are for changes/additions/demolitions to certain properties that are not in Historic Districts but have been designated as having historical value.

Both the Leeper store and Nebel Mill (Design Center) projects are under the Historic Landmarks commission.  They have a separate website and agenda links.

• Like 2

As a follow up on the Leeper store.  The building sits within the future South Blvd widening project.  Any project that requires a land-use review wouldn't be approved by Charlotte DOT, so there is no way the property could have been incorporated into a new project.  Basically, reuse of existing building works until the city is ready to do the South Blvd project, then they would take it my eminent domain and demo it.  They (City) prefer to have the required setbacks established for them, and have private developers accomplish it through property development.  This is why South Blvd new projects are all really far back from the street.
https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/SouthBlvdSouthTryonStudy.aspx
There is a link to a .pdf on the page above. Page 17 shows what South Blvd us supposed to eventually look like at the Leeper (Atherton Mill across the street) section, so quite a lot of land setback is required.
Don't shoot the messenger please!
Edit: The .pdf is not the administrative controlling document.  It is the streetscape vision, to show what street cross sections will eventually be like.  The controlling document is the South End Area Plan, which established the transportation right of ways for South Blvd.  That plan exists online as well, but I don't think is as informative visually.

That is true that the Leeper Store cannot stay in its current location because of the widening project. However, there may be an alternative to demolishing the building, which is why I mentioned the HDC website - I think there might be plans to save the structure by moving it.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, DJ8hep said:

That is true that the Leeper Store cannot stay in its current location because of the widening project. However, there may be an alternative to demolishing the building, which is why I mentioned the HDC website - I think there might be plans to save the structure by moving it.

http://landmarkscommission.org/

I believe that is true (looking for alternative location).  The above site has agenda and meeting minutes for Landmark properties.  Leeper building is not currently in an Historic District, but is designated landmark.

• Like 1

http://landmarkscommission.org/
I believe that is true (looking for alternative location).  The above site has agenda and meeting minutes for Landmark properties.  Leeper building is not currently in an Historic District, but is designated landmark.

Definitely, and since it is a designated historic landmark I think that in the next couple of months the HDC will have a project involving the Leeper Building.
  • Like 2

Just now, Reverie39 said:

I have not been to South End in ages. How is it faring in terms of pedestrians? Are there lots walking around, and at what times of day? Would be great if it started becoming a heavily walked place, Charlotte is certainly big enough to have neighborhoods like that now.

The times that I’ve been there recently, I was struck by the extensive pedestrian activity.  It’s very lively.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ClassicColtrane said:

Ok, so I'm a super novice when it comes to looking up permits and such filed with the city, but does anyone know what's happening at 130 W Bland (right behind the McLaren dealership)? Saw something filed with the city for this address.

image.thumb.png.0c0f2ae73c93a436c2bd0bc9f2332f7a.png

Looks like an upfit led by ARGOs. Permit shows "Re-use of an existing building including utility services and facade improvements."

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 3:44 PM, KJHburg said:

supposedly in the next few weeks from what I read 

I refuse to get excited about South End's appeal or tout its appeal to my outside visitors until there's some walkable, eclectically store-fronted corridor in the neighborhood that gives the 'hood a sense of centrality like in the pic below (btw, if something close to this already exists somewhere in South End, please let me know)...

Camden Road converted to Camden Commons might go a long way toward achieving this.

image.png

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I refuse to get excited about South End's appeal or tout its appeal to my outside visitors until there's some walkable, eclectically store-fronted corridor in the neighborhood that gives the 'hood a sense of centrality like in the pic below (btw, if something close to this already exists somewhere in South End, please let me know)...

Camden Road converted to Camden Commons might go a long way toward achieving this.

image.png

That looks really nice.  Where is that?