SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

It’s interesting because smaller cities in the NE that no one really thinks about have gorgeous urban cores.  New Haven, Syracuse, Albany, Portland, Maine, Providence, etc. have stunning old buildings and a lot of potential to be vibrant.  I think that newer Sunbelt cities can learn from these older places.

That being said, SouthEnd is very vibrant.  When I eventually move back to Charlotte, that’s one of the areas that I’d like to live in.

Here’s a random example in Syracuse.

image.jpeg.c5c05be20781099a80bf6f0e32a59fd4.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

I disagree to an extent, most of us southerners/sunbelt natives have visited, lived or spent significant time up norf.  Most of our cities are being built during a different era so it is virtually impossible to replicate that style, basically, it ain’t gonna happen.  Myself,  having  spent significant time in the Northwest, if anything, we should take note of Portland and Seattle.  Now that of type “new urbanism”  is possible for pockets of sunbelt cities, which in my opinion, is just as good if not better than the quaint old Northern or New England urban architecture. 

That’s a good point too.  

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, Durhamite said:

I disagree to an extent, most of us southerners/sunbelt natives have visited, lived or spent significant time up norf.  Most of our cities are being built during a different era so it is virtually impossible to replicate that style, basically, it ain’t gonna happen.  Myself,  having  spent significant time in the Northwest, if anything, we should take note of Portland, Ore and Seattle.  Now that type of  “new urbanism”  is possible for pockets of sunbelt cities, which in my opinion, is just as good if not better than the quaint old Northern or New England urban architecture. 

Unfortunately, Portland is changing toward the sprawl model now.  I live up here now, (In The Gorge), and were it not for The Gorge being a protected area it would look like California with houses built on the canyon walls. There are a lot of developers lobbying the small areas of Hood River, White Salmon and Stevenson to do just that. Camas and Vancouver are taking off.  If you travel #99 southwest from Portland you can see it happening. It's now being developed all the way down to Mc Minnville., Looks just like parts of Charlotte but with a few more hills. All this while downtown Portland converts the food truck rows to skyscrapers.  There're still pockets left of the Portland we all love, but it's changing. Sadly.

28 minutes ago, kermit said:

Walking home today it looks like they are turning the Lowes tower into a giant movie screen. Equipment was being loaded onto roof of Barcelona and a huge generator was brought in and put in the alley.

8D1912A3-73DD-49DF-94DA-366E019B89AD.jpeg

43DC1F36-4DD2-4274-8F74-CA7A4D63A063.jpeg

Interesting and very cool!  Is there some type of event in the area soon?

On 10/17/2022 at 4:48 PM, SentioVenia said:

A Lowe's tech employee told me they were doing the grand opening this week.

Turned out to just be an ad on the building.

It was moderately cool, they used all of the muntins (between the windows) for the videos, but still just an ad. Somewhere between lighted billboards on the Ginza and beside the interstate in Cabarrus county.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2022 at 3:38 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

I love pics that include SouthEnd because it always has such eye-catching structural density. 

Good view indeed. 

From the air, south end looks vital/high-energy, with density to rival any international city.  On the ground, however, it’s not quite there.  Very quickly off the rail trail, density becomes quite patchy.  

• Thanks 2

From the air, south end looks vital/high-energy, with density to rival any international city.  On the ground, however, it’s not quite there.  Very quickly off the rail trail, density becomes quite patchy.  

To be expected from a developing neighborhood from mainly industrial area.
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, RANYC said:

Dilworth is a beautiful area but it is a vast region of single family homes that back right up to the downtown of a major city. And it will never go away aside from the Morehead corridor because it's obviously old and a major part of Charlotte. I think South End feels constrained because of the sheer size of Dilworth right next door. I wish I could pick it up and move it just like a mile further from Uptown.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1