SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

11 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Dilworth is a beautiful area but it is a vast region of single family homes that back right up to the downtown of a major city. And it will never go away aside from the Morehead corridor because it's obviously old and a major part of Charlotte. I think South End feels constrained because of the sheer size of Dilworth right next door. I wish I could pick it up and move it just like a mile further from Uptown.

It doesn't help Wilmore is squeezing in from the other side too but it's more likely to give in to development. and you're right South end looks like a constrained hourglass of development right now

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tito_m9 said:

It doesn't help Wilmore is squeezing in from the other side too but it's more likely to give in to development. and you're right South end looks like a constrained hourglass of development right now

I've always thought upper South End looks like a scalpel, due to the curve of South Tryon on the west side; but I don't think "the Scalpel" is catchy enough for a neighborhood moniker. With all of the eventual development west of Tryon south of Tremont, it'll soon be spread out though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan2 said:

Livability? More like artificially high prices forced by protecting a single housing type so the existing rich and mostly white residents don't have to have too many neighbors while still getting the benefit of living close to the city. Sorry this type of thinking will only further harm charlotte. The perception that livability is attached to a car centric single family housing is flawed and doesn't promote equity, growth, transportation and climate goals. 

Hey!!! I resemble that remark! 

Though I am curious;  who is setting the goals?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

The shape of South End is a huge reason the light rail needs to have MUCH higher frequencies to be used for regular errands and getting around the neighborhood, as opposed to just commuting. Too many South End residents have to jump in their car to go from one end of South End to the other because the neighborhood takes nearly 40 minutes to walk from the Gold District to the southern end near Suffolk Punch/Harris Teeter area. The light rail should be able to compete with driving if running errands along the light rail could be done in ~10 minutes each way (a few minutes of waiting + a 2 - 5 minute ride on the train). Instead, it is too tempting to use your car when you have a 20 minute wait at the station. 

This is such a small portion of trips that I can't see it ever happening. Even in a theoretical world where we are running 5 minute headways, there might be 2 intra-South End trips a year where it could make sense for me to hop on the train. Maybe I'm missing a common use case, but in my experience, these things just don't happen much in Charlotte. It's way, way easier to just drive around, and will continue to be. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, DMann said:

If the bulk of the ridership is from the CTC to 485 vs CTC to UNC Charlotte perhaps an additional train or 2 can be added to manage short hops on the South line run from 485 to 7th st market and change tracks and go back.  All depends on ridership.

I’d like to see an express train from 485 to the CTC.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I think Charlotte should get a "Second" Line.... Maybe say a "Green Line" that only travels between Arrowood & Old Concord Road. Everything in the middle gets 7-10 minute frequencies and further out stations get 14-20 minute frequencies. I don't know the logistics of that (where the turnbacks are - too lazy to google view where they could be, etc.) but I mean. It would be great  if it could logistically work IMO.

I like this idea a lot. Many of us have agreed before that the Blue (and Silver) lines are too long, almost reaching commuter rail lengths rather than inner-city rapid transit. Your "Green Line" would be a true rapid transit through the urban core, while the Blue Line could act as basically a commuter rail from the outlying areas, maybe basically an express train that can skip stops in order to connect to Uptown quicker. I wonder if that would even open the door to 3-car express commuter trains, since there would be less stations to upgrade to 3-car capacity.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

That is a smaller site than the ones across the street and at 110 East. Does it include Ruth's Hair Salon at 212 Park? Ruth's Salon been there 50 or more years.

dont think your hair salon or the one you speak of it apart of the transaction.  It looks like just the corner and surface lot surrounding them. 

• Thanks 2

On 8/13/2022 at 11:15 AM, atlrvr said:

I guess technically a highrise, the OmShersa Hotel on Hawkins next to Krispy Kreme just had it's land use plans approved.

14 stories

170'

306 hotel rooms

Rooftop bar/patio

Ground floor retail space (not sure if restaurant)

No idea on brand.

Typically, how long between land use approval and vertical construction? Lol