SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

.  Portman apartment tower   24 stories 

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

So lets review (and I need the review) what high rises are  under construction over 10 floors in Southend  Gold District right now?  Not proposed but under construction:

1. 110 east  23 stories 

2.  Portman apartment tower   24 stories 

3. Greystar apartment tower on S Blvd.   24 stories 

4. Campbells Greenhouse apartment tower     12 stories 

5.  Apartment tower on W Morehead and S Mint  Aspen Heights 12 stories 

am I missing any under construction high rises over 10 floors?

In 2023 it is going to be the year of what gets started and is under construction not proposed.  Most everything will get built eventually but I am looking for dirt turning permits and crane base planted.   I know we should have several more starts this year including Queensbridge but given the financing market now it is getting harder and harder.  

of course 3 Morehead apartments towers all next to each other 

Incredible! I thought the Aspen Heights property was 17 stories tho? Did they downsize?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ClassicColtrane said:

Incredible! I thought the Aspen Heights property was 17 stories tho? Did they downsize?

they are I think this article I saw mentioned 12 but you are right I did not think that sounded right. 

19 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Not Gold District but in Southend, the building that'll be next to Suffolk Punch.  Financed and a go in Q1 per this post

hopefully that will be underway as well.

that is why I saying we need to be watchful what gets under construction this year as I think many of these proposals out there won't get started this year.  

• Like 3

On 2/1/2023 at 9:16 AM, theronhobbs said:

I could fully see them going the route of Sharon United Methodist Church, now SouthPark Church.

I hope they will. It's such an ugly building that its loss won't be a problem, and replacing it with anything along South Boulevard will be an aesthetic improvement. 

I just hope their plans do something with a little more individuality and style than Sharon... I've long thought what they should do is allow South Boulevard to be developed to full UDO density and height allowance, and re-orient the church, specifically the sanctuary building, to the current "back side." (Side note, I will be annoyingly insistent that the city should rename that disconnected vestige of South Caldwell "Cleveland" when it's eventually connected to Cleveland Street.)

I would orient the new sanctuary directly opposite the NW end of Templeton (a nice coincidence of name), creating a dramatic architectural statement and focus for that residential street and its neighborhood. Ideally they'd hire a really superior architect with the money they'd realize from whatever deal they make and not put up some ho hum, run of the mill structure, but whether modern or traditional, something noticeable, remarkable (in a good way). 

Perhaps more importantly, it would both figuratively and materially better integrate it within the neighborhood, making it a more walkable and accessible destination, while at the same time improving the South Boulevard corridor. Win-Win (IMO).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CLT Development said:

its only 0.3 acres, I'll go out on a limb and make a prediction. It will be a Wells Fargo Branch, their branch down the street will be replaced by a high rise by Sterling Bay.

Fuel was once the best pizza in Charlotte, a city with very few options. Unfortunately they serve that same exact slice and these days our tastes have changed to something a little better and they've never changed things up. I haven't stepped foot in that Fuel Pizza since I was a teenager, and I'm now 38.

I randomly stopped by that Fuel Pizza last week. I hadn't been there in years. I had wondered why the place looked so.... empty. The inside was stripped of all decorations and non-essentials. The pizza tastes the same as always.

• Like 2

^Well before the building boom started in Southend/Dilworth, and there was limited options compared to today, Fuel was one of our staples for late night or post hangover pizza. Agreed, it never changed. Sometimes there's nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Moved to Charlotte in late 2018 from NYC.  Checked out Fuel for some quick slices one night with friends visiting me in my new town.  Maybe it was an off-night, but the pizza was awful.  Or maybe we weren’t drunk.  At any rate, I’m excited to see this corner improved with new and perhaps even more pedestrian-accessible construction at this relatively high-profile corner. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I love Fuel Pizza - but the Plaza location for nostalgia. Drunken nights and fuel pizza is spectacular. 

Speaking of nostalgia, the old service station is probably very historical.... Besides the fact that a lot of scenes from "Shallow Hal" were shot there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Besides the fact that a lot of scenes from "Shallow Hal" were shot there.

pretty sure that was the old Trade St Fuel location (on the ground floor of the old Travelodge). There were interior shots showing the Trade street sidewalk from inside and when they left they walked in front of the Federal Courthouse.

I had always thought the only reason the Dilworth Fuel lasted as long as it did was because no one wanted to remediate the old gas station site. Tarhoosier's story from back in the day makes me wonder if there is more in the dirt than just old rusty gas tanks. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2