SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

4 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

KJ, I found some pics of what SouthEnd looked like in 1996. I took these screenshots from a Youtube video but can't seem to find it now. It's amazing how much the area has changed. WFAE had a story on the transformation of SouthEnd. https://www.wfae.org/local-news/2013-06-10/the-surprising-story-of-charlottes-south-end

Screenshot (164).png

I remember having dinner with my basketball team at 8-10 years old at this time or a couple years later at Spaghetti Warehouse. There wasn't much else around that area besides the original Bojangles. Usually went to it on the way to Hornets games. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2021 at 1:52 PM, kermit said:

Lowes opened up in late 2008. I remember this because Monty Ritchie of Conformity Corp was a contributor here and he generously gave a bunch of UPers a tour just before things were finished. I remember atlrvr greeting a UPer who worked at Wachovia with the question “so, hows the new CEO?” shortly after Ken Thompson was fired. 

I also remember that Conformity Corp got super squeezed by changes to mortgage underwriting requirements following the crash in 2008. The changes suddenly meant that there was too much commercial space in Southborough for federally backed mortgages to be written for the residential sales. Despite the bad timing, this was a truly remarkable and transformative project, and it is still used as a case study in MBA classes today.

It really is. Blew my mind the first time I visited. I remember when you could still see the Lowes frontage from the light rail and would think it was a tiny Lowes for years and years going to the Panthers' games (I'm originally from Charlotte, but lived in Hickory and Boone for most of my childhood) When I finally went I recall it was entirely accidental. I cut through the neighborhood around the back and assumed I had made a mistake due to the residential units, upon entering the parking lot I was taken aback by the fact the corner building was used for storage (and now tool rental) and that in fact a full size, suburban size, Lowes stood there lurking in plain sight. The roof parking was a great touch and is totally underutilized in similar projects IMO. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

These Morehead Street Towers are flying up quickly.  Didn’t realize they were already vertical, foundation work must’ve gone by without a snag.

Are both Buildings to be 26 Stories?

B4DFF286-66AE-4D22-8FA1-702CF5DAC6F7.jpeg

The Overlook tower is 26 stories and probably my future favorite high rise in Charlotte. The Enclave is 8 stories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

These aren't those. Those are due to break ground in Q1. These are the Senior Living 12-14 stories and the apartment tower next to it, which is like 16. The Overlook/Enclave are going up next to these, so we will eventually have 4 tower cranes right next to each other here. 

Thanks for the clarity.   Morehead will be busy indeed.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 1:26 PM, j-man said:

I think that  Southend deserves a hotel facing or at least right off the light rail. Like not separated by the street. It would be so convenient for the guests to be literally steps away from the light rail and it would do well in regards to parking for sporting events Uptown. And like said above, there is only one hotel currently in SouthEnd. 

There really should be. The second tower on the Lowe's site was going to be a hotel, I do not think it is now.