SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

Wow, just wow. The transformation of this small subsection of south end with these two towers and the tall Portman apartment building 1 block away  is just going to be amazing. That undeveloped corner of the block at Hawkins and Tremont between these two developments, between the old Zepplin site and Krispy Kreme going to stick out like a sore thumb.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

218aef151caa9012cda7e919912dc227.jpg

Hard to see here, but this is the site right next to pins mechanical and common market in SouthEnd. It was just warehouses a few weeks ago, now it’s cleared and they seem to be doing foundation work. This is going to be the site of two 250+ foot towers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh, and without barely a word about this two (2) high-rise project?  I love it - it’s gotta be that TOD by-right stuff that’s allowed this to happen so discreetly…

• Like 3

On 11/16/2021 at 9:56 PM, DownEast said:

Pair of 20+ towers on Gas fired Products land, Doggett St. Mentioned by Prodev some pages back. 

Is there any further news on what will be built on the Gas-Fired Products site? I work at 1927 S. Tryon, right across the street and have seen the demolition of the GFP building...just wondering what is coming.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TheRealClayton said:

I believe they are planning on announcing around February/March when its closer to breaking ground. Per public filing it's a joint partnership between Cousins and AvalonBay, with both Office and Residential. The stats mentioned previously are pretty accurate buildings around 21=25 floors total, including 7 floors of parking. And as @KJHburglikes to mention "Cousins doesn't build spec."

They are already doing site work. Tore down everything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjwilli said:

Permits submitted today for the land next to Suffolk Punch. Looks to include 64k of retail space according to the permit in the 19 story building. Looks like it grew a few floors from the announcement over the summer: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/development/article252151358.html 

#SouthEndRising

Project Description:

2905 Griffith
The proposed project is a 1.47± acres mixed use development located on Griffith Street. The site fronts the CATS LYNX Blue Line and the Charlotte Rail Trail. It will consist of a 19-story tower that includes 374,974 GSF of office and retail space, as well as 797 spaces of structured parking. Additionally, the project will include rail trail improvements and a paseo connecting Griffith St to the Rail Trail and New Bern Station.

had to look up "paseo."  Initially thought it was a typo.

path or walkway for strolling.

20 minutes ago, buildleft said:

How many thousands of parking spaces are we going to build in South End before we get more serious about TOD parking maximums (especially <1000 ft from the Blue Line)? All of this (free) structured parking seems incredibly short sighted. Abysmal value capture of existing transportation infrastructure is a serious problem 

Two words can illustrate the shortsightedness of these decisions: "Traffic Generation!"

• Like 4

Charlotte already changed the TOD zoning ordinance in 2019 to eliminate "parking minimums" and implement "parking maximums." Unless I'm way off on the site being discussed, this is TOD-UC (Urban Center), which has the most stringent parking maximum currently in the code. There's no way to know what their calculations actually are without seeing the permit documents, but based on the description it seems like they may be a little under 2 parking spaces for every 1000 square feet of office space. 

797 spaces right at the door of New Bern Station is crazy, I don't disagree, but the silver lining is that is a MAJOR improvement over what it could have been. 375,000 square feet is a gargantuan office building that could easily accommodate well north of 1250 people. 

image.thumb.png.5b7e2e9c7f7d8155bf6010bb6f12519c.png

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, buildleft said:

How many thousands of parking spaces are we going to build in South End before we get more serious about TOD parking maximums (especially <1000 ft from the Blue Line)? All of this (free) structured parking seems incredibly short sighted. Abysmal value capture of existing transportation infrastructure is a serious problem 

Lowe's Global Technology Center is also right at a light Rail stop, roughly the same sized building or perhaps even a bit smaller than this planned building, and it included a 940-space garage.  So that's a 20% drop in parking requirements in the span of a couple years, so I see this as progress - perhaps even substantial progress.  Take courage!

My hope is that in the future, with single-rider car usage on the decline, buildings like this will have capacity to support nearby office buildings which will eventually be built without garages, but may need some spaces for their shrinking share of car-reliant occupants by way of shared-parking arrangements.

Also, for weekends, perhaps the city can work something out with these buildings to use their garage spaces for large Uptown events.  That way, suburbanites can drive to these garages adjacent to light rail stations, and then use the light-rail from South End into Uptown to visit massive, regionally-oriented assembly spaces like Pro Sports venues, or like an Aquarium at some point.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3/1000 sf is significant and would allow for >1100 spaces. Parking maximums are typically used to actively discourage+decrease parking that would otherwise be built. Our parking maximums are high enough to where they don't make any difference whatsoever, and that needs to change

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davidclt said:

The City of Charlotte should allow for no more surface parking lots and require all parking to be buried beneath buildings. Yes, I know it would increase the costs and in Charlotte we're hyper focused on saving developers money but . . . it's fascinating (anathema) to me that in the shadow of East/West light rail station, they built (were ALLOWED to build) 940 spaces.

It's not just a Charlotte thing...do places like Austin, Dallas, and a host of other places require parking to be buried?

I know in 2019, Austin proposed legislation to eliminate parking minimums, but I'm not even clear on whether they've instituted maximums at all.

10 hours ago, RANYC said:

It's not just a Charlotte thing...do places like Austin, Dallas, and a host of other places require parking to be buried?

I know in 2019, Austin proposed legislation to eliminate parking minimums, but I'm not even clear on whether they've instituted maximums at all.

No parking is not required to be buried in any major Texas city I can tell you that.  Or Atlanta, Or Nashville or any other city I can think of in the southeast. 

• Like 3