SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

Speaking of Duke, they just mowed down every tree along South Blvd in front of Lowe's. They left all the main trunks and just took off all limbs. I don't know if with the type of trees they are they'll come back or if it's step one to removing them all together. It looks awful though. 

48 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Speaking of Duke, they just mowed down every tree along South Blvd in front of Lowe's. They left all the main trunks and just took off all limbs. I don't know if with the type of trees they are they'll come back or if it's step one to removing them all together. It looks awful though. 

Are those crepe myrtles, and are they pruning?

Crape myrtles bloom on new growth, so prune them in early spring before they break dormancy. Although some gardeners prune their crape myrtles in the fall, I do not recommend doing this. Fall pruning not only creates an unattractive look for winter but also removes the current year’s growth as a buffer against any potential winter damage. Good pruning while crape myrtles are young will mean less maintenance when the trees are older. (https://www.finegardening.com/project-guides/pruning/pruning-crape-myrtles, 12/23/2021, Jane Carson, Fine Gardening Issue 108)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, atlrvr said:

The 25 story apartment tower by Greystar at the site of Rosemont (next to Walgreens) on South Blvd at Kingston received final land use plan approvals and grading permit, so expect to see movement soon on demolition there.

The building height is 253' to the roof (another 3-4' of parapet above that).

Full brick for the full height of the facade, which I'm pretty excited about.   

10k sq ft of retail in this apartment building alone.

My gosh, how many cranes are we gearing up for in 2022.  Will we exceed 2019 levels in 2022 alone?  Come to think of it, there really wasn't much crane-worthy residential in 2019, and 2022 crane usage looks to be driven by mostly residential.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, RANYC said:

My gosh, how many cranes are we gearing up for in 2022.  Will we exceed 2019 levels in 2022 alone?  Come to think of it, there really wasn't much crane-worthy residential in 2019, and 2022 cranes usage looks to be driven by mostly residential.

Just read an article about the major projects that are for sure starting next year and if they all do then there will be a lot of cranes. Excited for this, and yes the Strawn Cottages development is scheduled to start next year as well. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, j-man said:

Just read an article about the major projects that are for sure starting next year and if they all do then there will be a lot of cranes. Excited for this, and yes the Strawn Cottages development is scheduled to start next year as well. 

This is the Fallon Co project, anchored by the Centre South office bldg?  

Do you have inside knowledge that strawn cottages will start, or is that based on a recent media update?

A little bird told me that Boston-based Fallon Co was disappointed by the interest level in the office component, Centre South.  That was some time ago, however, and perhaps things have changed.

3 minutes ago, RANYC said:

This is the Fallon Co project, anchored by the Centre South office bldg?  

Do you have inside knowledge that strawn cottages will start, or is that based on a recent media update?

A little bird told me that Boston-based Fallon Co was disappointed by the interest level in the office component, Centre South.  That was some time ago, however, and perhaps things have changed.

I just read from an article on Axios that stated that it is set to start. That is most likely the most recent update. 

Just now, j-man said:

I just read from an article on Axios that stated that it is set to start. That is most likely the most recent update. 

I know they are working on the Fire Station next to it, but I saw some people in reflector vests on the back end of the site, toward the neighbor, doing some sort of surveying. Wish I had snapped a picture. I wonder if they just don't start the apartments first. 

22 minutes ago, j-man said:

Here is the article here. 

https://charlotte.axios.com/281444/most-anticipated-charlotte-developments-breaking-ground-in-2022/

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2021 at 4:31 PM, Blue_Devil said:

Construction fencing up for 110 East

2aace64b805cdefd45df1d8bf25de631.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Received a call back from Charlotte's Urban Forestry Division regarding these trees at 110 East.  The rep left me a voicemail as I wasn't at my phone at the time, but from what I gathered, the developer is paying into a CDOT tree mitigation fund, and is chopping down the trees because of plans to install a new treescape.

Take down mature, carbon-ingesting, shade-providing, street trees in a drought, because I suppose the developer wants to replace with a tree-scape more befitting an urban high-rise, with saplings that won't steal the show from this new podium.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

I have a question, if anyone can help....a few pages back, it was mentioned there is a  15 story resi  building planned "behind" Railyard - Cousins project, I believe. Is that going on the land already cleared and with construction fencing facing S. Church across from Seoul food or is that yet another project and the 15 story project is going to be facing Winnifred and will replace that block-long 1 story set of buildings directly behind Railyard?  If these are two separate projects, what exactly is going up directly across from Seoul food. Just curious...thx guys. 

20 minutes ago, metropolitan said:

I have a question, if anyone can help....a few pages back, it was mentioned there is a  15 story resi  building planned "behind" Railyard - Cousins project, I believe. Is that going on the land already cleared and with construction fencing facing S. Church across from Seoul food or is that yet another project and the 15 story project is going to be facing Winnifred and will replace that block-long 1 story set of buildings directly behind Railyard?  If these are two separate projects, what exactly is going up directly across from Seoul food. Just curious...thx guys. 

2 separate projects

The one under construction already and across from Seoul at corner of S. Church and W. Bland will be Haven South End, 304 units to deliver in mid-2023.  Delivered by Haven Communities.  A very large and mature Magnolia tree was lost in grading.:tw_cry:

Project behind Railyards I know less about, but do know they're separate.

Edited by RANYC
  • Sad 1

2 different projects, neither Cousins.

The 15 story apartment (and I believe 6 story office build) is replacing the long 1 story building that extends down to Summit.  

I think there was a rendering on here for the project at Church and Bland.  I believe it's 6 story apartments.  Well, it's definitely apartments, just trying to remember the height.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, metropolitan said:

17 story apartment building by Delray Ventures I dont think is starting very soon but it is planned there (according to my list of 61 buildings proposed)  Yes this tower is where that long one story building on Winnifred is located.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, atlrvr said:

I think there was a rendering on here for the project at Church and Bland.  I believe it's 6 story apartments.  Well, it's definitely apartments, just trying to remember the height.

Here is this one.  It's called Haven South End.

Haven-South-End_Charlotte-1.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The 13 story Hawk apartment tower sold for soaring price.

""Ram Realty Advisors has sold its 13-story upscale apartment tower in South End for $48.5 million. It marks Ram's third Charlotte property purchased by AvalonBay Communities Inc. this year.  Florida-based Ram sold the Hawk to the Virginia real estate investment firm on Dec. 15 for roughly $683,000 per unit, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records. At the time of the sale, the Hawk was about 92% occupied.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/12/27/avalon-bay-picks-up-south-end-hawk-apartments.html

My gosh, those unit prices are insane