SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

9 hours ago, go_vertical said:

Do sales figures like what we have seen recently move the needle much in regards to the developers plans for further projects?  Like, when a tower sells for a healthy profit does that typically push them to get their next project out of the ground with more urgency? 

It gives them working capital for sure to start another tower but it still has to make sense.   As for RAM which sold the Hawk they will probably use the profits to seed and start another project.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

That small shopping building was originally Twin Oaks Center. Now the No Oaks but the memory lingers due to the imagination and artistry shown here.

ah, thanks for that background!  I'd like to know who's doing this kind of art locally.  A massive oak on my block just got taken down by the city because it was "diseased" and "in bad shape."  Close to the base, the trunk was a about 7 feet in diameter.  Would love to have seen it live on in this way, and would have given our block some street art to boot!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

ah, thanks for that background!  I'd like to know who's doing this kind of art locally.  A massive oak on my block just got taken down by the city because it was "diseased" and "in bad shape."  Close to the base, the trunk was a about 7 feet in diameter.  Would love to have seen it live on in this way, and would have given our block some street art to boot!

The city is supposed to come by and plant a new tree. It took about 6 months in front of my house recently.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RANYC said:

can you weigh in on the tree you want?  what did they plant in your case?

I don't think so, they told me they select based on species that can do well in the planting strip.  They do put on a water bag and send a contractor once or twice a month to water. In my case they took down a huge 100+ year old oak in front of my neighbors house (it was on its last legs and regularly shedding large branches), and planted one new tree to replace what was removed plus a second tree in front of my house.

Unfortunately I am totally not a horticulture guy. Best I can say is some kind of Oaky looking hardwood, probably about 25 feet tall. Its certainly not yet a dramatic tree, but it is larger than I had expected.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

I know that many on here probably think I'm all for the destruction of older structures but I do want to say that the long building to the right of Rosemont that is supposedly coming down for this apartment is an example of one that I would rather see not removed. 

But good-riddance to The Rosemont/Wu's/(restaurant I forgot)/Vinnie's Sardine/Bottle Cap Group abomination.

Edited by davidclt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

I know that many on here probably think I'm all for the destruction of older structures but I do want to say that the long building to the right of Rosemont that is supposedly coming down for this apartment is an example of one that I would rather see not removed. 

While I agree, its going to directly lead to some very cool changes for Dilworth Artisan Station

• Like 4

No doubt and it's not like I'm going to be up in arms about the loss.  I just think this one is an example of something that is a slightly more aesthetically pleasing than many others in the neighborhood and if it were to be saved then cool, but I'm sure what is coming will have better street presence and bring a more active block to the area. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nicholas said:

Wasn't able to grab my phone in time for a better pic, but the Rosemont is already coming down.  At least one excavator on site and a quarter of the building was down just before 3pm today (well technically yesterday at this point).

IMG_7539.thumb.JPG.8f7f66eaed7d6192a1e541f7fefd68cc.JPG

That's interesting news and all, but could you provide us with some sort of tree update? That's why I read the SouthEnd Highrise thread...for its tree news.

• Like 1

That building held Crossland Studio for years. Twin brothers, Dick and Bob Fuller ran an architectural antiques supply business there. Their previous location was a barn on Tremont where the Trolley's End parking area is now. I call it a barn as it was two levels of rustic construction, tall corrugated metal doors, dirt floor and was of no habitable condition, thus barn. It was most likely a cheap storage building for some business in the long ago. They made it a storage and sales site and for those in Charlotte working on old homes it was the perfect (and only) place for such items as mantels, hardware of all kinds, doors, stained glass, all the things salvaged from every kind of structure. Keys and locks, oh they had piles of them.  I visited them on occasion. The business profited from such low overhead and they bought the building known as Artisan Station and rented space, then sold to White Point and that brings us to today.

https://www.charlottemagazine.com/stockings-parachutes-and-artists-the-history-of-dilworth-artisan-station/

• Like 3