SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

5 minutes ago, dnlleffingwell said:

I have looked at every page. Is there a rendering for this project?

Several, just look for the giant parking garage with a few floors of office on top.

(it now occurs to me that you may have been referring to the Kingston project. I don’t believe I have seen renderings for that)

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Cousins submitted their land-use plans for 306 W Tremont.

328k sq ft of office 

300 apartments

18k sq ft retail

Only 577 parking spaces which seems really low.  I guess they assume apartments/office on different schedules and will "share"

Also 37k sq ft of open space which seems huge.

Having a general idea of how they are planning it, I think there should be more retail, but oh well. 

Does anyone know if they will be doing both towers at once? The way they dug out the lot seems to indicate yes. 

Edited by Blue_Devil

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Cousins submitted their land-use plans for 306 W Tremont.

328k sq ft of office 

300 apartments

18k sq ft retail

Only 577 parking spaces which seems really low.  I guess they assume apartments/office on different schedules and will "share"

Also 37k sq ft of open space which seems huge.

Woahhh that parking # is wild! The parking ratio is really unlike most (all?) highrises u/c now. Quite pleased with this project

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prodev said:

Walgreens has notices in their store that they're closing for good in February. Surprised they're not staying open until the new store is ready.

I never shopped at Eckerd/Rite Aid/Walgreens out of principle because it was a suburban store in what was an urban neighborhood. Looking forward to the "new" Walgreens. CVS down the street is marginally better. Mad props generally for Dilworth Drug and Canon Pharmacy for being local.

Edited by davidclt
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I know we're all less than enthused by the very upfront parking podium on the now *under construction* Stiles/Shorenstein building--and with certainty the garage screening is going to be at best underwhelming and most likely disappointing--but looking again at the rendering this morning on Axios, I thought I would point out two positive things about the design that I hadn't noticed fully before: It's set back from West Boulevard to create a nice little public square, and the building's angle is actually really pedestrian-friendly, encouraging people to walk to and from the Rail Trail to and from South and East, and the setback of the building also allows the back facade of the church to be plainly visible, which is also very nice, because it's got an interesting three-sided projecting bay and funny little chimney that are a historic element that wouldn't be re-created nowadays.   

Edited by ertley
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ertley said:

I know we're all less than enthused by the very upfront parking podium on the now *under construction* Stiles/Shorenstein building--and with certainty the garage screening is going to be at best underwhelming and most likely disappointing--but looking again at the rendering this morning on Axios, I thought I would point out two positive things about the design that I hadn't noticed fully before: It's set back from West Boulevard to create a nice little public square, and the building's angle is actually really pedestrian-friendly, encouraging people to walk to and from the Rail Trail to and from South and East, and the setback of the building also allows the back facade of the church to be plainly visible, which is also very nice, because it's got an interesting three-sided projecting bay and funny little chimney that are a historic element that wouldn't be re-created nowadays.   

Really depends on the rendering to determine my reaction. One is fine, one is marginal and one is awful. Fingers crossed that it looks like the first one and not the second one here.110East_3_resized.jpg.thumb.jpeg.a295617ef48ef83583e7dee60e55632a.jpeg110East_2_resized.png.png.a50ebe8138ee52edb6ec464e30d842c4.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JBS said:

Really depends on the rendering to determine my reaction. One is fine, one is marginal and one is awful. Fingers crossed that it looks like the first one and not the second one here.110East_3_resized.jpg.thumb.jpeg.a295617ef48ef83583e7dee60e55632a.jpeg110East_2_resized.png.png.a50ebe8138ee52edb6ec464e30d842c4.png

Those renderings are just front side vs. back side, right? It'll end up looking like both.

12 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

The top rendering with the garage and office looking more uniform is the original one released when the tower was announced. The second (and in my opinion the uglier) rendering is the most recent that was made public. I'm willing to bet what is built will look more like the second. 

Agreed!

How often do we think parking garage screening turns out better than the rendering?  Ever?  For a building thats entire lower half is parking deck screening, I'd be willing to bet it comes out way worse than the rendering, and the rendering is already fugly.  The retail on this thing better be awesome because that is probably going to be its only saving grace.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

The difference is literally lighting and backdrop. A blue building against a hazy blue sky is going to look washed out, a blue building on a bright day against a warm landscape is going to look more vibrant. Pretty simple. I was at the groundbreaking and the building will look fine. Honestly people are just making stuff up now. Agreed that the deck is too big but literally not going to stop having big decks until we have an actual transit plan.

Edited by JBS