Charlotte/Raleigh Highrise Building Booms

JacksonH

On 12/16/2021 at 9:49 AM, Blue_Devil said:

Yah, SLI Capital (Kane's son) is did a cool project in Durham. Now this. He is going to be competing with his Dad, and its good for Raleigh. 

Yes. This is a $ 600 million dollar project.   Junior is starting out strong.  Raleigh will be seeing many construction cranes in 2022.  Downtown, North Hills and Iron Works.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Dang - thought you meant ‘University City’…..

UC in Charlotte may stay low rise for some time.  Shouldn’t complain since highrises are beginning to spread throughout Center City (Southend, Midtown) and Ballantyne.

A Charlotte-based developer, Lincoln Harris, is in charge for redeveloping a 32-acre parcel of NCSU's Centennial Campus that has a max height allowance of 28-stories. 'Town-style'/'live-work-play development with maybe one or two towers to max out the height. For sure, there is no such thing as a 28-story zoning category in Raleigh, NCSU requested that condition so I will assume they have at least some plan to got that high for a least one tower. Lincoln Harris expects to start work on the area in 2022 with a full build out of the site by 2032. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2021 at 8:54 PM, JacksonH said:

Seeing all the news about proposed towers in Charlotte, it is really impressive.  It seems that the construction never stops.  But I was looking at Wikipedia and this surprised me:  There are fourteen towers currently proposed (not yet under construction) in Charlotte.  That seems like a big number, except.  . .  there are twenty-five proposed for Raleigh!  Twenty-five!  (Greensboro only has one proposed, by the  way.)  It makes me wonder, though, if Raleigh is one day going to catch up to Charlotte and rival its skyline, and its metro population.  Thoughts?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_North_Carolina

Not in our lifetimw and probably not ever.

Charlotte will have the premier skyline for at least 50yrs.(I'll likely be dead or senile which is cool).

As far as population. I like looking at CSA's and Charlotte's is a good 500,000 over Raleighs CSA . I think Charlotte will eventually gobble up Cherokee County  in SC as well as  Catawba County and Alexander County in NC. That will add another 200k to our CSA. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Durham isn't slowing down. Another 27 story tower has been proposed today that will replace the YMCA property in downtown Durham. That will be the THIRD 27-story tower in Durham after the current One City Center tower and the future Novus apartment/condo tower. There's also a 25 story residential tower in the works and a few 18+ story towers going through the development process.   

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 4

Yes the RUSBUS tower is very exciting due to its height and that will really help Raleigh fill in and expand their skyline. 

I heard about that latest apartment tower on the YMCA site today and the other one by Austin Lawrence.   I hope one of these can be the new tallest in the city which is still the suburban University Tower on 15/501. 

• Like 4

The stalled Nexus four  20-story tower project in Raleigh is almost done rezoning to 40 stories.  Details about the new plans will be revealed later in the year.  The project will look the same but some of the towers will get taller likely the condo and apartment tower will add several more floors. The final floor counts is still being reviewed. If you look at the rendering below the project will look the same however add more height to the two towers in the foreground. 

nexus_rendering.jpeg

• Like 4

image.thumb.png.ccee8ac720021fbfd2a09d86d610d8fc.png

Raleigh's list of proposed towers is extremely ambitious. These are just the ones planned to be over 30 stories tall. How any of these do you actually think will be built in the near/distant future? I know the Wikipedia page isn't the most accurate source for information on planned construction projects, but I noticed Charlotte only has 6 planned buildings exceeding 30 stories (and two of those are on hold). What are you all's thoughts?

Edited by thenewkage95

1 hour ago, thenewkage95 said:

Raleigh's list of proposed towers is extremely ambitious. These are just the ones planned to be over 30 stories tall. How any of these do you actually think will be built in the near/distant future? I know the Wikipedia page isn't the most accurate source for information on planned construction projects, but I noticed Charlotte only has 6 planned buildings exceeding 30 stories (and two of those are on hold). What are you all's thoughts?

I think that Raleigh gets really excited and calls master plans "proposals" when really the only reason things are listed as 20,30, and 40 floors is that's the extent of what zoning allows in most cases. In most cases, none of these are planned out buildings, they are "visions" to market Raleigh and it's various pie in the sky ideas, just like Queen Park is here. The things that are on Charlotte's wiki, which is not even close to updated are towers, are sure things.  I have a list of 61 towers planned in Charlotte over 17 floors, 13 of them are over 30, and most of them are more realistic than the ones listed above. Also worth noting that the "Carolinas DevelopmentTower, listed on that site, is not on my list, because that building was never a realistic proposal.

Edited by TheRealClayton
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

I think that Raleigh gets really excited and calls master plans "proposals" when really the only reason things are listed as 20,30, and 40 floors is that's the extent of what zoning allows in most cases. In most cases, none of these are planned out buildings, they are "visions" to market Raleigh and it's various pie in the sky ideas, just like Queen Park is here. The things that are on Charlotte's wiki, which is not even close to updated are towers, are sure things.  I have a list of 61 towers planned in Charlotte over 17 floors, 13 of them are over 30, and most of them are more realistic than the ones listed above. Also worth noting that the "Carolinas DevelopmentTower, listed on that site, is not on my list, because that building was never a realistic proposal.

I was pretty blown away about the Raleigh Convention Hotel and Downtown Development Project towers being listed at ~550 and ~800 feet respectively. Not that I was in disbelief, but I figured we would have heard about Raleigh planning an 800 footer. I decided to check the source for that project and I came across this:
image.thumb.png.b0e7cec8f1c39651c3868c4aba3aed5b.png

It was updated on January 11th. I hate it because it would be nice to see some taller buildings in Raleigh (although I'd prefer to see a new 800+ footer in Charlotte). All in all, you're absolutely right! The wiki is very unreliable and perhaps Raleigh jumps the gun just a bit in posting their development propositions.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thenewkage95 said:

I was pretty blown away about the Raleigh Convention Hotel and Downtown Development Project towers being listed at ~550 and ~800 feet respectively. Not that I was in disbelief, but I figured we would have heard about Raleigh planning an 800 footer. I decided to check the source for that project and I came across this:
image.thumb.png.b0e7cec8f1c39651c3868c4aba3aed5b.png

It was updated on January 11th. I hate it because it would be nice to see some taller buildings in Raleigh (although I'd prefer to see a new 800+ footer in Charlotte). All in all, you're absolutely right! The wiki is very unreliable and perhaps Raleigh jumps the gun just a bit in posting their development propositions.

The convention center hotel and office tower project was simply an RFP with a cash benefit of $30 million dollars. There were no concrete plans just a shot in the dark and then COVID happen. However, the city will be re-considering a new proposal for these lots in the future. Open secret but the city/county will be looking into building the new arena to replace the PNC Arena behind the Convention Center as an option as the refurbishment of the current arena has skyrocketed and new construction may not be more expensive. The timeline is around the mid-2030s. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thenewkage95 said:

I would ignore Wikipedia. Raleigh has odd zoning laws. A project that is 21 stories tall need to apply for a 40 story rezoning. 

Here are the 3 towers over 30 stories what that will break ground in the next 18 months: 38-story RUSBUS residential tower (April), 32 story residential tower at the Creamery (Q3 2022), and the Smoky Hollow III (Q4 2022, floor count to be announced soon but over 30 stories for the residential tower). 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, carolina1792 said:

The convention center hotel and office tower project was simply an RFP with a cash benefit of $30 million dollars. There were no concrete plans just a shot in the dark and then COVID happen. However, the city will be re-considering a new proposal for these lots in the future. Open secret but the city/county will be looking into building the new arena to replace the PNC Arena behind the Convention Center as an option as the refurbishment of the current arena has skyrocketed and new construction may not be more expensive. The timeline is around the mid-2030s. 

Interesting to hear about the arena replacement - are you referring to the block that currently contains the amphitheater? It really makes sense to pair the arena with the convention center. Do you know if NCSU has interest in playing in a downtown arena?

10 minutes ago, jthomas said:

Interesting to hear about the arena replacement - are you referring to the block that currently contains the amphitheater? It really makes sense to pair the arena with the convention center. Do you know if NCSU has interest in playing in a downtown arena?

Yes, originally the plan was to expand the convention center onto this property but that plan appears to be sidelined now as the stakeholders are reviewing their post-COVID options--including a new arena.  NCSU has their own plans for a new basketball arena on-campus. 

Edited by carolina1792

6 minutes ago, carolina1792 said:

Yes, originally the plan was to expand the convention center onto this property but that plan appears to be sidelined now as the stakeholders are reviewing their post-COVID options--including a new arena.  NCSU has their own plans for a new basketball arena on-campus. 

Thanks! As a State grad, I know folks have been pining for an on-campus arena almost ever since PNC opened, but I have not heard any serious plans about doing so at the end of PNC's life span. I think a 14-15k arena on campus, like JPJ Arena at UVA, would be perfect for State. I'd love to see it on the main campus - I'd put it where the track/soccer stadium is now, so it would be adjacent to the Coliseum deck and close to a future commuter rail station. But I fear that they will stick it on Centennial for better highway access instead.

• Like 1

I went to PNC for a hockey game and will never again. I had expensive seats, seven rows behind the Canadien bench. The seat pitch, or distance for legs, was tighter than any contemporary arena seat I could recall. I rubbed my lower leg bone on the seat back in front of me the whole game. I do not recall drink holders at the seat. The squeeze was not acceptable. Good beer selection on the concourse was the only grace. The glassy outer skin was over a concrete and block inner structure and made it look and work as if it were an aged building repurposed for modern appearance, without modern seating, concourses and other amenities.

• Thanks 1

It is a charmless arena for sure. Bland exterior, anonymous setting, confusing and disconnected concourses. I have probably been to 100 events there over the years and still can't learn to like it. I was at the State-Wake game last night, and the best thing I can say is that the exit from the parking lot was speedy (although, the home team's performance isn't helping the experience these days!). So, hearing that the Pack (and Canes) may move on to better digs is making my day today.

• Like 4