Charlotte/Raleigh Highrise Building Booms

JacksonH

2 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Raleigh with an 800 footer might look worse than OKC’s Devon Tower dwarfing that city. 

06D381CE-7D61-41DC-A5E3-CB3147D36E11.jpeg

I would rather see a 550 footer next and then a 600 footer then a 650 footer then a 700 footer and on and on. That way there's a lifetime of new benchmarks. 

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, thenewkage95 said:

Do y’all think we’ll see a 1000+ footer in the near future?

In Charlotte not anytime soon.  I just don't see it I dont think any of the banks would anchor such a building and that pretty much kills it here.  I do think more buildings in the 400-600 feet height range will happen. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not to start a flame war (if that's even still a thing), but  I found these print-offs from the Observer from August 2001 under a drawer this week.  I knew I had them somewhere.  There was a lot more CLT/RDU rivalry back then it seemed, and the O and the N&O each did an editorial about the other city.  A fun read and quaint to reread now.  Here was the view of Raleigh:

CLT1.pdf CLT2.pdf CLT3.pdf CLT4.pdf

Edited by turbocraig
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, turbocraig said:

Not to start a flame war (if that's even still a thing), but  I found these print-offs from the Observer from August 2001 under a drawer this week.  I knew I had them somewhere.  Back then there was a lot more CLT/RDU rivalry on these boards and in general it seemed, and the O and the News&O each did an editorial about the other city.  A fun read and quaint to reread now.  Here was the view from Raleigh:

CLT1.pdf 187.04 kB · 2 downloads CLT2.pdf 179.46 kB · 0 downloads CLT3.pdf 185.15 kB · 0 downloads CLT4.pdf 78.8 kB · 0 downloads

And here was the News&O's response.  I think we won that round.

RDU1.pdf RDU2.pdf RDU3.pdf RDU4.pdf

Edited by turbocraig
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I was in Raleigh this week myself. Their stock of older buildings in downtown is impressive compared to Charlotte. They have a great dining/drinking area at Peace and Person and a few blocks nearby with some top notch restaurants. We went to Crawford and Sons. The Glenwood, Five Points, Oakwood and in/near downtown areas have substantial remaining residential stock as well. All the new stuff, as Kermit mentions, is the extra for the city. Our host lived in N Raleigh, ten+ miles from the restaurant and I noticed they used gps nav to find their way around downtown, even though one of them had worked in the State Assembly building for eight years. Weird.

I think we took them to their own city.

I was showing my cousin around town too but she just moved there 6 months ago.  Raleigh may not have the height of Charlotte but lots of places have the density of Charlotte's intown neighborhoods. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I was in Raleigh this week myself. Their stock of older buildings in downtown is impressive compared to Charlotte. They have a great dining/drinking area at Peace and Person and a few blocks nearby with some top notch restaurants. We went to Crawford and Sons. The Glenwood, Five Points, Oakwood and in/near downtown areas have substantial remaining residential stock as well. All the new stuff, as Kermit mentions, is the extra for the city. Our host lived in N Raleigh, ten+ miles from the restaurant and I noticed they used gps nav to find their way around downtown, even though one of them had worked in the State Assembly building for eight years. Weird.

I think we took them to their own city.

I think the whole character and feel of downtown Raleigh would instantly be improved by converting all their streets to 2-way. Imagine if every street in Uptown were like Caldwell Street - that's basically what navigating downtown Raleigh feels like. 

• Like 3

On 3/20/2022 at 10:50 AM, tozmervo said:

I think the whole character and feel of downtown Raleigh would instantly be improved by converting all their streets to 2-way. Imagine if every street in Uptown were like Caldwell Street - that's basically what navigating downtown Raleigh feels like. 

That's the plan for a few of the streets however it has been delayed due to COVID and consideration for Bus Rapid Transit lines.  You also have to consider that NCDOT owns 4 major north-south streets in Downtown Raleigh they use for cross city traffic to the detriment of downtown. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1