Piedmont Triad International Airport developments

cityboi

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think this site work I see on both sides of I-73 near the runway overpass is for Boom Supersonic or just the site work being done closest to the airport for Boom?  earlier in the week.  first photo is of the Honda Jet buildings.  

I could be wrong, but I think the Boom parcel is on the opposite side of I-73 from the airport - there's more room for future expansion over there. I believe the side closer to the airport is being graded for future development, but no specific tenant as of now. The airport's radar was located on a hill there, but it has recently been relocated to a tower along West Market Street behind the new Samaritan's Purse hangar. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great news for the new Greensboro PTI plant 

I hope we will see some of these NC made Boom supersonic jets at the Charlotte hub the 2nd largest in the AA system.

https://boomsupersonic.com/news/post/american-airlines-announces-agreement-to-purchase-boom-supersonic-overture-aircraft-places-deposit-on-20-overtures

the planes will be made   at PTI Airport. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Great news for the new Greensboro PTI plant 

I hope we will see some of these NC made Boom supersonic jets at the Charlotte hub the 2nd largest in the AA system.

https://boomsupersonic.com/news/post/american-airlines-announces-agreement-to-purchase-boom-supersonic-overture-aircraft-places-deposit-on-20-overtures

the planes will be made   at PTI Airport. 

Boom has addressed the problems that led to the demise of the Concorde jet and airline companies are now jumping on board. This is huge for the Triad to be manufacturing the world's fastest passenger airline jet.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, cityboi said:

Boom picked up another engine maker 

Even if so, this is a pretty large setback. This isn't like changing paper suppliers. The engine is basically what will make or break this company. And it still needs further development.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Concourse Redevelopment- Piedmont Triad International Airport 

Project Scope and Schedule:

This will need to be a multi-phase project as the airport will need to remain operational. Careful phasing of this project will be extremely important. Project includes tearing down the two existing concourses and building one new concourse parallel to the existing terminal building.

Will go from 24 gates total to 16 gates.

The new concourse is roughly 155,000 sf.

New concourse includes concessions, restrooms, etc.

Below the new concourse will have mechanical rooms/systems, airline offices. In between the new concourse and the existing terminal building will be a centralized baggage makeup area and a centralized TSA bag screening area. Scope includes renovation of the lower level of the terminal building (centralized baggage, PTAA office areas, new police station, TSA offices, rental car counters, etc.). This will include gutting the lower level and starting over.

The anticipated project budget was not listed in the advertisement, but PTAA thinks the cost will be $150-$200 million (depending on phasing, funding, etc.). o PTAA is working on funding for the project. Due to the type of funding, PTAA will need an initial/component GMP by September of 2023. PTAA would like to break ground in the third quarter of 2023.  Ideally the project would be complete in 2027 but will depend on the phasing of the project.

7763EEBD-EB11-4D0D-9AAE-2309BA9297A2.png

708A0359-393F-4042-9A87-BBB73A1B9517.jpeg

B62256E1-2D4C-4097-935E-B6F05905760D.jpeg

Edited by urbanpirate
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 7:06 AM, rancenc said:

Interesting that the airport is actually REDUCING gates instead of adding.    Of course the airport as for years been losing passengers to Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte-Douglas airports due to proximity.

The fact that they would spend $150-200 M to consolidate concourses and reduce the overall number of gates speaks volumes about what sort of growth they project in the future.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jthomas said:

It does, but the current gates are very underutilized. Plus, given the age of the facility, I imagine that the existing concourses were due for a renovation anyway. In addition to improving operations and right-sizing the facilities, a new concourse gives PTI the chance to improve the passenger experience with a new, modern face. It certainly can't hurt in the battle to entice Triad flyers to fly from their home airport instead of driving to CLT or RDU. 

The main reasons why Triad flyers frequently travel to CLT and RDU are related to flight costs and flight options/availability. Reducing the number of gates at PTI goes against logic if they are hoping to reduce costs and provide more flight options.

Both of those things are usually a result of having greater airline competition at an airport, which obviously means having an ample number of gates. Reduce the number of gates and the chances of scoring more low fare carriers that would help drive down costs goes out the door. Maybe they know something that we don't, but this seems like a bad decision if their goal is to increase the number of flyers out of PTI.

• Thanks 3

Today was the groundbreaking of Boom Supersonic facilities.

https://businessnc.com/boom-supersonic-moves-dirt-at-greensboro-plant/

On the PTI front I remember when people drove to GSO to fly out from Charlotte for much cheaper fares.  CLT has more nonstops of course but our fares are higher than RDU for example.  Nonstop flights have their cost for sure.   Does Southwest fly into PTI?  that would be an airline to try to attract.   Concord has Allegiant Air flights mainly to Florida that attracts the leisure travelers from all over.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Today was the groundbreaking of Boom Supersonic facilities.

https://businessnc.com/boom-supersonic-moves-dirt-at-greensboro-plant/

On the PTI front I remember when people drove to GSO to fly out from Charlotte for much cheaper fares.  CLT has more nonstops of course but our fares are higher than RDU for example.  Nonstop flights have their cost for sure.   Does Southwest fly into PTI?  that would be an airline to try to attract.   Concord has Allegiant Air flights mainly to Florida that attracts the leisure travelers from all over.  

RDU has a number of low cost carriers, including Southwest and Allegiant, which has helped drive down overall fares at that airport.