Memphis 2026 NBA All Star weekend

Memphisborn

8 hours ago, James Owen said:

The two hotels being planned as part of The Walk on Union (Embassy Suites & Tempo) and the Dream Hotel (former Royal Furniture building on Main) combined - should they all be built - would put the number just above 5,000. However, downtown would still need to lure a couple more large, full-service hotels like the Grand Hyatt to be competitive, IMO, and can't solely rely on a bunch of boutique and limited-service ones popping up just to meet that minimum threshold.

Yea I hear that. I would hope civic plaza is still in play for large full service hotel. I for one wanted to see the historic police station a part of Hotel plan it’s about 130,000 Sf  and could give additional meeting space/ restaurant/ bar space and parking whoever bids on the site should include that property in their design. Would love to JW Marriott @ that site. Peabody is ready for 100 million dollar renovation and let’s see if Sterick will be in play for a large full service hotel we have time 2026 is 4 years away, that gives the city time to continue to work on infrastructure and hotels.  On a side note JW does historic renovation that could bode well for police station on adams.

https://www.georgiatrust.org/preservation-awards/plant-riverside-power-plant-rehabilitation/

Edited by Memphisborn

On 2/25/2022 at 11:35 PM, James Owen said:

The two hotels being planned as part of The Walk on Union (Embassy Suites & Tempo) and the Dream Hotel (former Royal Furniture building on Main) combined - should they all be built - would put the number just above 5,000. However, downtown would still need to lure a couple more large, full-service hotels like the Grand Hyatt to be competitive, IMO, and can't solely rely on a bunch of boutique and limited-service ones popping up just to meet that minimum threshold.

I’m not convinced that that is the case.  “Full Service” doesn’t mean much. It’s just additional things like turn down service, wake-up calls, and hotel shuttles.  I’m sure a lot of the hotels downtown are this. You’re probably thinking more along the lines of “luxury” or “5-star” hotel status.  But with Grand Hyatt and the others, I think we would be in a good position. 

• 5 months later...

I know this is old news, yet gotta say I was super impressed when I flew into Memphis last month.  Felt like a whole new airport!!!  Just about every time I've flown to see my mom in MS, it's been through MEM. For years and years it was the same experience.  Then I remember seeing the construction.  And this last time I got to experience the new.  Kudos!  Job WELL DONE!!!!

• Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 11:35 PM, James Owen said:

Yes I agree boutique hotels are ok, however to host NBA all star weekend u need large 500-800 room blocks. Hopefully we will see civic Plaza land a large 500+ hotel along with Grand Hyatt, Sheraton, Peabody. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Yes I agree boutique hotels are ok, however to host NBA all star weekend u need large 500-800 room blocks. Hopefully we will see civic Plaza land a large 500+ hotel along with Grand Hyatt, Sheraton, Peabody. 

I agree. The hotels should near or around the Convention Center or Civic Plaza. Most convention centers have at least two or three hotels immediately nearby.  The Pinch would also be another great location.

• Like 2