Memphis Transportation and Mass Transit Discussion (light rail, bus, etc.)

Memphisborn

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/2022/01/12/mata-light-rail-memphis-transport-ford-workers/9109426002/

Blue Oval city has Mata planning better public transit option transporting Memphian to and from site. They believe blue oval will give the density to justify the cost. Thoughts every one

Edited by VSRJ

2 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/2022/01/12/mata-light-rail-memphis-transport-ford-workers/9109426002/

Blue Oval city has Mata planning better public transit option transporting Memphian to and from site. They believe blue oval will give the density to justify the cost. Thoughts every one

The right time would have been years ago.  What is really needed is light rail that is in the core of Memphis with good access to neighborhoods that connects to downtown, medical district, Liberty Park, University of Memphis, and the Airport.  One thing that has held back Memphis in regards to population growth and businesses is the lack of public transit.  Sure it would help to build some transit to a major employment area, but its outside the city limits.  That's not going to help people that live and work in the core of Memphis or people that visit Memphis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MDC26 said:

The right time would have been years ago.  What is really needed is light rail that is in the core of Memphis with good access to neighborhoods that connects to downtown, medical district, Liberty Park, University of Memphis, and the Airport.  One thing that has held back Memphis in regards to population growth and businesses is the lack of public transit.  Sure it would help to build some transit to a major employment area, but its outside the city limits.  That's not going to help people that live and work in the core of Memphis or people that visit Memphis.

I agree it should start by going thru downtown/ Overtonsquare/liberty park- to airport. Good point. See petition if u agree with the merits sign and share.

https://chng.it/Jnb9rKDQFq

11 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

When they first made the Ford announcement,  ABC24 reported this about MATA.  

"Two aspects Rosenfeld highlighted as reasons to make the investment are more development along where the light rail would be located and that it would support both urban and rural lifestyles."  This is what stands out to me.  There is no doubt, there is going to be all types of growth between Memphis and this site. Now, would be the time to put in the infrastructure and any new development can be constructed around it. 

I believe  it will feed from downtown, as well as an Arlington, Lakeland or Cordova location.  It would also be used by the people living in Arkansas and Mississippi that may  work at Blue Oval City. 

Fed dollars will be needed and I am not worried about getting federal help, but it's the state dollars that concerns me. That's why, the governor's race is going to be so important. 

12 hours ago, JTM1 said:

When they first made the Ford announcement,  ABC24 reported this about MATA.  

"Two aspects Rosenfeld highlighted as reasons to make the investment are more development along where the light rail would be located and that it would support both urban and rural lifestyles."  This is what stands out to me.  There is no doubt, there is going to be all types of growth between Memphis and this site. Now, would be the time to put in the infrastructure and any new development can be constructed around it. 

I believe  it will feed from downtown, as well as an Arlington, Lakeland or Cordova location.  It would also be used by the people living in Arkansas and Mississippi that may  work at Blue Oval City. 

Fed dollars will be needed and I am not worried about getting federal help, but it's the state dollars that concerns me. That's why, the governor's race is going to be so important. 

Yeah if done right this could really connect the inner core of Memphis through the burbs all the way to Stanton.   No doubt there's going to be tons of new developments from Lakeland/Arlington all the way to Haywood County.   Would love to see it planned right and not just suburban sprawl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheExtraEastKid said:

I have a hard time seeing this happen, from Downtown to Stanton, the cost could run from $750 million to $5 billion and we know how the State votes.

This will likely end with MATA sending buses out there and TDOT adding lanes to I-40.

I would have to agree with this sentiment. Not just with light rail, but any kind of commuter rail system that gets proposed.

Price tag aside, even if this were put to a referendum vote, the two things that would get in the way the most are (1) how it gets funded/who pays for it, and (2) the perception by many of public transportation being only "for poor people" (including some politicians).

It would be nice to have a system similar to the Music City Star/WeGo Star in Middle Tennessee, but realistically speaking, it would be a very hard sell to convince enough people that such an investment would be worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheExtraEastKid said:

I have a hard time seeing this happen, from Downtown to Stanton, the cost could run from $750 million to $5 billion and we know how the State votes.

This will likely end with MATA sending buses out there and TDOT adding lanes to I-40.

This is why the megasite concept is such crap. So much $$ being wasted making the sites viable on top of the crapton of congestion its going to add to our highways. Plenty of sites in the city core (North/South) that could handle this and keep congestion much more manageable. But alas... 

7 hours ago, DRG901 said:

Yeah if done right this could really connect the inner core of Memphis through the burbs all the way to Stanton.   No doubt there's going to be tons of new developments from Lakeland/Arlington all the way to Haywood County.   Would love to see it planned right and not just suburban sprawl.

If has the right backing and plan it could do wonders for our city core and suburbs. 
This is what we should have gotten done  20 years ago. 

• Like 1

MATA will do transit planning forever, but Memphis and the region are very car centric and always will be.  They need to focus on improving the current horrible bus service. There is just not enough population density or economic development to support light rail in the city or region.  People only ride a bus when there’s absolutely no alternative.  The Ford site is a good distance away and anyone needing to go there will drive. 

17 hours ago, GoodOmens said:

This is why the megasite concept is such crap. So much $$ being wasted making the sites viable on top of the crapton of congestion its going to add to our highways. Plenty of sites in the city core (North/South) that could handle this and keep congestion much more manageable. But alas... 

There are no sites in the city that could handle this project.  I'm sorry if you don't believe that, but that is the case.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
38 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

If this becomes successful. Who knows, they may extend it this line, or plan for more.

Yeah, I think these newer models are actually cheaper to acquire and maintain.  Also, easier to repair.  The classic trolley car takes 18 months or more to refurbish and there's not many of them.  

Another 1.5miles to extend to Overton square.  Another 1 mile to extend to Cooper-Young,  another 0.5 miles to extend to Liberty Park.  The current length of the Madison line is 2.2 miles.  So, more than doubling may be a big undertaking, but would connect to 3 big anchors.  

• Like 1

• VSRJ changed the title to Memphis Transportation and Mass Transit Discussion (light rail, bus, etc.)
2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, I think these newer models are actually cheaper to acquire and maintain.  Also, easier to repair.  The classic trolley car takes 18 months or more to refurbish and there's not many of them.  

Another 1.5miles to extend to Overton square.  Another 1 mile to extend to Cooper-Young,  another 0.5 miles to extend to Liberty Park.  The current length of the Madison line is 2.2 miles.  So, more than doubling may be a big undertaking, but would connect to 3 big anchors.  

It’s a big undertaking I agree, but a much needed one as we continue to grow our core and become more dense, Hopefully Mata can tap into those federal transportation funds that’s what other city have done to pay for such a huge expense. with blue oval city (Ford) set to develop light rail is certainly a viable option 

The railway that runs downtown and is used for the Riverfront loop portion is equipped for the Trolley between Huling and AW Willis.  The only other traffic on those tracks that I know of is the Amtrak that runs at 6:30am and 10:40pm.  All that would be needed to extend local trolley service is to add the electric lines.  It has double tracks except for a short stretch from Butler to Huling and could have 2-way traffic from Central Station to the Snuff District.  This would add 1.5 additional miles.  It could also potentially run to Frayser with another 2.75 miles.  It is a single track going past Snuff district and has some industrial use on it from the factories in that area, so that may be more difficult logistically.  

Edited by MDC26
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MDC26 said:

All those that would agree that the Madison line should be expanded please sign and share this petition.

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-jim-strickland-memphis-light-rail-now

• 7 months later...

This is going to be great — and the first of its kind in the state!

MATA's $125M mConnect project scheduled to start construction in 2023

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/01/04/mata-transit-project-scheduled-construction.html

image.thumb.jpeg.86095092c23efce84fcdaf8ab2ce6f9b.jpeg

Construction on a roughly $125 million infrastructure project for the Memphis Area Transit Authority (MATA) is expected to start this year and has the potential to bring economic opportunity to the area.

As part of the Memphis Innovation Corridor project, mConnect is set to be the city’s first bus rapid transit system, and the first in Tennessee to operate in exclusive-only lanes, according to Kimley-Horn project manager Kenneth Monroe, who is on the consulting team working with MATA.

Monroe explained that mConnect would operate between the William Hudson Transit Center in Downtown and the University of Memphis, with 10-minute intervals between buses during peak periods.

The terminal station at the William Hudson Transit Center is to be located on the west side of Second Street, between Overton Avenue and A.W. Willis Avenue. Monroe said this should allow bus rapid transit vehicles access to the station more quickly and avoid some of the congestion at the main terminal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/01/04/mata-transit-project-scheduled-construction.html

Good! The next step is to improve walkability and bikeability throughout, especially downtown.

Downtown Memphis makes strides to a more walkable future - Memphis Local, Sports, Business & Food News | Daily Memphian

5 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Glad to see this coming now let’s get light rail going !! 

17 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Good! The next step is to improve walkability and bikeability throughout, especially downtown.

Downtown Memphis makes strides to a more walkable future - Memphis Local, Sports, Business & Food News | Daily Memphian

BRT is a great start, efficient rail transportation is also needed. Bike-ability is important, but there is growing backlash about taking out lanes for almost non existent bike travel on arterial roads. There is good reason those bike lanes are empty, people don’t feel safe using them. I can’t tell you how many times I see drivers ignore bike lanes and drive in them on to pass slower vehicles. It far more important that we shift bike traffic to side streets and off-street facilities like the Greenline, parallel to other railroads, through our parks, or on neighborhood streets. Arterial roads are not safe and we should not be pushing for mixing high speed traffic on heavy commuter routes with bikes and scooters. There are far too many drivers that should not be driving that flee from the scene of an accident. I refuse to support a design which potentially places others in harms way. 

As far as Downtown, although it’s flawed, it’s the most walkable, bike-able location and should not be the priority. Our efforts should be on providing safe routes to get to important nodes such as Downtown and getting pedestrians safely across large arterial roads that lack pedestrian refuge, a traffic/pedestrian signals, or grade separation. We should prioritize known high traffic and pedestrian areas which are clearly a problem such as Lamar Avenue near Bellevue and Airways or Union Avenue near Kroger in Midtown. A problem was addressed at the Central Library and I am unaware of a major incident on Poplar at that location since the refuge island was added.

Edited by DowntownUrbanite
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

BRT is a great start, efficient rail transportation is also needed. Bike-ability is important, but there is growing backlash about taking out lanes for almost non existent bike travel on arterial roads. There is good reason those bike lanes are empty, people don’t feel safe using them. I can’t tell you how many times I see drivers ignore bike lanes and drive in them on to pass slower vehicles. It far more important that we shift bike traffic to side streets and off-street facilities like the Greenline, parallel to other railroads, through our parks, or on neighborhood streets. Arterial roads are not safe and we should not be pushing for mixing high speed traffic on heavy commuter with bikes and scooters. There are far too many drivers that should not be driving that flee from the scene of an accident. I refuse to support a design which potentially places others in harms way. 

As far as Downtown, although it’s flawed, it’s the most walkable, bike-able location and should not be the priority. Our efforts should be on providing safe routes to get to important nodes such as Downtown and getting pedestrians safely across large arterial roads that lack pedestrian refuge, a traffic/pedestrian signals, or grade separation. We should prioritize known high traffic and pedestrian areas which are clearly a problem such as Lamar Avenue near Bellevue and Airways or Union Avenue near Kroger in Midtown. A problem was addressed at the Central Library and I am unaware of a major incident on Poplar at that location since the refuge island was added.

Whenever I do bike, I always preferred dedicated biking paths, separate from roads.  Just a biking lane on a heavy traffic street does not calm me much.  The most idiotic thing that is pervasive through the South, is sidewalks, right next to the flow of traffic.  Who wants to walk down Poplar or Union, rubbing shoulders with the outer lane of traffic?  

• Like 3