Orlando Postcards

Tim3167

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like that last picture. Until I discovered this thread, I didn't realize Orlando had such a nice downtown skyline. It looks very impressive, especially with the lights reflecting off the lake.

This is my first post on the Orlando thread. I admit that I'm really impressed with all the proposed development that's going on in Orlando. If it all happens, it will make the city even more impressive.

I love this thread!! I can remember growing up in O-town and the CNA building (now known as the citrus center) was the tallest building for as long as i can remember.

I didn't know that the Bank of America building went up before the Suntrust building. That is wild. Does anyone remember when UCFwas like way outside of Orlando? I can remember seeing a Pat Travers concert out at UCf back in 86 and UCF was so small, the concert was in the woods around UCF. Has anyone on this board even heard of Pat travers? or the Knights Out pub accros from UCF?

So much has changed. Does anyone else remember the CNA building being the tallest "skyscraper" in Orlando.

BTW I am so excited the Cady Way bike trail is getting pretty close to being joined up with the little econ bike trail. What that will mean is that you can ride your bike from the fashion square mall all the way to UCF. I Love it. Sorry I rambled on here.....

I remember when CNA was just about it, though that seems like another lifetime. I remember shopping at the old McCrory's where the Plaza is now being built. I have heard of Pat Travers but I wasn't at that concert. I went to school out of state, but I did one semester at UCF in 1985. I can remember taking morning classes, some of which were held in trailers, and then driving down University Blvd. (such as it was) to head to Park Ave. in Winter Park, which seemed like the epitome of class and culture at the time.... to have lunch at the Olive Garden. Olive Garden at that time was right across the street from Park Plaza Gardens, where 310 Park South is today. Salad, bread sticks and soup, probably about $3 or $4, all you could eat.

I remember it was a long drive because at that time University Blvd. was pretty much a two-lane road under construction to be widened. Two lanes! I remember in some sections of University Blvd. you were driving over dirt roads! It's a real trip to go down that road today and remember those days, because now it's what, 5 or six lanes across? I remember those dirt roads!

I remember the Disney announcement. I remember watching CNA go up. I remember starting at FTU (now UCF) and University Blvd was two lane with widening planned for sometimes way in the future. I remember the E-W expressway opening. I remember seeing Led Zepplin in a tin barn off Econlockhatchee

• 1 year later...

I remember driving University Blvd (TCU Blvd) from Semoran to UCF. Two lanes and the strong smell of orange blossoms in the spring. Remember Orlando skyline with Citizens and CNA the two tallest towers. Citizens later became Pan American Bld., don't know what its called now...I remember shoppers downtown and crosswalks in an X pattern across Orange Ave with lots of foot traffic, old Sears downtown, Ivey's and Penneys, McCrory's, Woolworth's, Winn Dixie on Rosalind near the Orange county office buildings where that parking lot is now. Remember jingle on the radio about "Orlando's six first national banks...we can do more for you!" (Now Suntrust) I believe that building that Kinko's is in was Sears if I'm not mistaken, it was in that general area.....

Sorry, no Rosie's postcards! I remember going with friends and eating dinner at Rosies and going(sneaking) in to the disco before they carded and hanging around so we could stay in there all night. At that time legal age was 18 and then 19. The place used to be full of sailors. I remember Fashion Square used to be full of Navy on the weekends, too. I remember nickle beer at Church street also on Wednesday nights (I think). Damn I'm old! :yahoo:

post-6014-1153800577_thumb.jpg

Orlando circa 1973

post-6014-1153799849_thumb.jpg

Orlando circa 1980-81

COOL! The first one looks like it's pre-408. (I remember when I was in 4th grade at Azalea Park Elementary School and we could hear them pounding the pilings in to Lake Underhill to build the 408 bridge over the lake. The second one is at the time of my HS Graduation! Orlando is now becoming the city I always dreamed about back then! :D

Thanks for the positive feedback. It's kinda fun sharing these.

Here's a couple more

Orange County Civic Center with a whopping 150,000 ft. of exhibit space.

scan00149oq.jpg

And here's the Convention Center of today, with the original structure outlined in red...just amazing...

convctrdw4.jpg

Archived