Orlando Postcards

Tim3167

Mostly Canada happened. They offered more tax incentives and a lot of things that may have filmed in Orlando moved up there. I really don't think the Hollywood folks liked our hot summers as opposed to the mild weather southern California usually gets in the summer.

I think most of the parks had filming done there as a way to promote their newness. Once the novelty wore off filming slowed down. You can see a list of things that shot in Orlando at imdb.com but it isn't very accurate. I can tell you for example Buffy The Vampire Slayer never filmed in Orlando.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mostly Canada happened. They offered more tax incentives and a lot of things that may have filmed in Orlando moved up there. I really don't think the Hollywood folks liked our hot summers as opposed to the mild weather southern California usually gets in the summer.

I think most of the parks had filming done there as a way to promote their newness. Once the novelty wore off filming slowed down. You can see a list of things that shot in Orlando at imdb.com but it isn't very accurate. I can tell you for example Buffy The Vampire Slayer never filmed in Orlando.

most of the USA Network/Sci-Fi Channel movies get filmed in Canada.

I would definitely say it was the Canada effect. I know that the state spend a lot of money and was shooting for a $1B economic impact from the film/tv industry. I don't know if they ever reached it, though.

Then there was the movie "Monster" where you see the actress (name escapes me), sitting under the overpass of the Beachline and John Young Parkway, pretty sure alot of scenes from that movie were shot in Orlando, even the scenes that were supposed to be Daytona.

That was Charlize Theron and she won an Academy Award for Best Actress that year. The movie shot all over Central Florida from Deland to Kissimmee to Winter Garden to DT Orlando. My car was used in the movie, so I have a lot of first hand knowledge of the film. I flew out for the premiere in LA back in November '03. On set for the movie, Charlize definitely was not pretty, but she sure does clean up nice.

I would definitely say it was the Canada effect. I know that the state spend a lot of money and was shooting for a $1B economic impact from the film/tv industry. I don't know if they ever reached it, though.

I work in the film industry and there were many reasons for the industry not wanting to make the move here:

1. TOO HOT and the weather is too unpredictable. Doing location shoots here is murder!

2. Support Infrastructure and Crews--this could range from picking up Gaffers tape (Recently a P.A. spent 3 hours looking for such tape for a shoot when in LA you could get it anywhere) to renting additional camera or lighting equipment. Also, if you need additional crew, it is a lot easier to call a backup in LA or Canada than fly someone out to Orlando.

3.Hollywood. Hollywood is more than a place--it's a lifestyle. People aren't as reluctant to leave their Starbucks, Coffee Bean, cocktails at the bar at Chateau Marmont, or their Jamba Juice's as people think. A lot of Hollywood deals are made through networking at Hollywood hot spots or events.

4. The Unions-- They can make or break your production.

5. Again, the weather!

6. Locations. Orlando has grown a bit more now, but it lacked the look of most big cities back in the early 90's when the idea of a Hollywood East was first being thrown around.

7. Secrecy--Productions usually dont like too much leaking from the film's set. With the internet now, what happens on a set is a lot harder to keep a secret--although the thought of Lindsay Lohah collapsing on a Disney stage with a ton of tourist (with cameras in hand) looking on does tickle me a bit.

However, Orlando still has a lot going for it. People generally love film crews down here and the talent pool is especially good now. I believe Orlando could still be a huge production center for commercials, game shows, videos (local or homegrown bands), and animation (especially CG). If Orlando could land another network or two (Like the Sci-Fi Channel that was originally supposed to be based at MGM) that could potentially be a huge advantage as well.

Some of you may have heard this before, but the motion picture capital of the world was very nearly......Jacksonville. Yes, Jacksonville. In the early days of motion picture technology aka, the silent film era, there were actually movie studios in Jacksonville and pretty much nowhere else. The industry was on the verge of taking off full scale (possibly with the advent of sound?), when the mayor of the city, who was somewhat puritanical and religious, mounted a campaign to drive the industry out of town fearing (and rightfully so it appears) that it would attract all manner of sinful behavior. So they packed up and headed west, accidentally stumbling upon a little southern California town called Hollywood.

That is the story as I understand it.

Another interesting Florida history story is about how the Cocoa/Rockledge area was very nearly "Miami", but for the decison of local leaders not to let Henry Flagler build a railroad spur line to the shores of the Indian River and on out to the beach. Had that happened, Central Florida would be what south Florida is today, and Orlando would likely be a suburb of the urban metropolis of Cocoa.

Man, that thing was ugly...

Yeah you're right about that. It was a pretty homely building. But keep in mind, in those pics I posted there were soot stains all over the outside of the thing from the previous night. What they did was, before the actual explosion that brought the thing down, they set off and filmed from various angles, a bunch of fiery pyrotechnic explosions designed only to blow the windows out and look really cool on screen. Then during the editing process of course, they combined that footage with the actual demolishion footage to make it appear more spectacular in the movie.

Also, did anyone notice how close the new building was to the old one? That small amount of demolishion visible on the rear of the old building was only done after the new one was completed and all the workers and offices were moved in. It was done to help insure that no damage would occur to the new building during the implosion. The two were actually built so close together you couldn't squeeze your arm between them.

Some of you may have heard this before, but the motion picture capital of the world was very nearly......Jacksonville. Yes, Jacksonville. In the early days of motion picture technology aka, the silent film era, there were actually movie studios in Jacksonville and pretty much nowhere else. The industry was on the verge of taking off full scale (possibly with the advent of sound?), when the mayor of the city, who was somewhat puritanical and religious, mounted a campaign to drive the industry out of town fearing (and rightfully so it appears) that it would attract all manner of sinful behavior. So they packed up and headed west, accidentally stumbling upon a little southern California town called Hollywood.

That is the story as I understand it.

Another interesting Florida history story is about how the Cocoa/Rockledge area was very nearly "Miami", but for the decison of local leaders not to let Henry Flagler build a railroad spur line to the shores of the Indian River and on out to the beach. Had that happened, Central Florida would be what south Florida is today, and Orlando would likely be a suburb of the urban metropolis of Cocoa.

I had heard Jacksonville was big in pictures before talkies. I hadn't heard about Cocoa, but I could see where that area could have exploded in growth with all the waterfront. The space center monopolizes most of that now. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Doesn't Cocoa still have the long range potential of becoming a global beach resort? There are still lots available and with the proximity to Orlando there is a sustainable year round population.

I had heard Jacksonville was big in pictures before talkies. I hadn't heard about Cocoa, but I could see where that area could have exploded in growth with all the waterfront. The space center monopolizes most of that now. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I have heard about Jacksonville and the film industry. That seems like it would be so wierd..."Hooray for Jacksonville!"....."live from Jacksonville, the 75th Academy Awards show!" Do you think if Flagler would have stopped his railroad in Cocoa that there would be development to this day below Cocoa or a major metropolitan area? I find Cocoa unattractive, it's not green and lush with tropical plants and beautiful aqua water. I much prefer Volusia's beaches! :unsure:

I have heard about Jacksonville and the film industry. That seems like it would be so wierd..."Hooray for Jacksonville!"....."live from Jacksonville, the 75th Academy Awards show!" Do you think if Flagler would have stopped his railroad in Cocoa that there would be development to this day below Cocoa or a major metropolitan area? I find Cocoa unattractive, it's not green and lush with tropical plants and beautiful aqua water. I much prefer Volusia's beaches! :unsure:

I believe a lot of the Laurel and Hardy films were shot in Jacksonville.

Archived