Isn't it time for Carowinds to be redeveloped?

southernnorthcarolina

I've often thought that an amusement park, only open for part of the year, wasn't the highest and best use for a 407 acre site with direct access to I-77 and quick access to the Charlotte airport, in two fast-growing counties (Mecklenburg, NC and York, SC).  Carowinds has changed hands several times - from an independent operation to Taft Broadcasting to Kings Entertainment to Paramount to Cedar Fair.

And today it was announced that SeaWorld has offered to buy Cedar Fair.  So it might be time for a reset.  Seems to me that a combination office park/industrial park/distribution center might make sense.  Are there any European or Asian auto manufacturers or tech businesses looking for a plant location?  

redeveloped.  Geeze, what typing.  Is there an edit function here?  If not, can a moderator correct this?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 16

57 minutes ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

I've often thought that an amusement park, only open for part of the year, wasn't the highest and best use for a 407 acre site with direct access to I-77 and quick access to the Charlotte airport, in two fast-growing counties (Mecklenburg, NC and York, SC).  Carowinds has changed hands several times - from an independent operation to Taft Broadcasting to Kings Entertainment to Paramount to Cedar Fair.

And today it was announced that SeaWorld has offered to buy Cedar Fair.  So it might be time for a reset.  Seems to me that a combination office park/industrial park/distribution center might make sense.  Are there any European or Asian auto manufacturers or tech businesses looking for a plant location?  

redeveloped.  Geeze, what typing.  Is there an edit function here?  If not, can a moderator correct this?

Most amusement parks not in California or Florida aren't open year round. This is not only because if the cold, but it allows for maintenance and construction as well. Carowinds itself is open from March through the first week of January. Any amusement park that is open less than 365 days a year would be a waste if your suggestion is followed. That's a very scary prospect.

15 minutes ago, kermit said:

I was an young teen growing up in Durham in the early 80s. Carowinds was the ONLY reason I had to ever think about Charlotte. It wasn't until I reached my mid 20s that I realized there was more to Charlotte than the Oak and Bucket, White Lightening and the yellow painted state line.

Haha, I could have written those words myself, except I was coming from Asheboro, not Durham.  The first time was as a cub scout.

To the OP:  Do you really think Charlotte doesn't have enough suburban office parks?

• Like 1

Went to a concert at the Palladium when that was operating with touring top rank talent. Kris Kristofferson and Rita Coolidge. Went with friends who had passes to aftershow. The aftershow event was in the upper level of the antebellum building that is the entry gate. After drinks and some mingling Kris and Rita (I believe they were a couple at the time) came in and I asked Kris if he wanted a drink. He looked at me and said "Yes" in as eager a way as possible. I learned then that with a special person I ask if I can fetch a drink/water and they are ALWAYS appreciative.

Also saw Lyle Lovett and Delbert McClinton double bill another time. Appearance fees rose so high they could not match shed/amphitheatre and shows so that was the end of top rank appearances at Carowinds.

• Like 3

Quite a while ago Carowinds had occasional airshows. As part of the admission some acrobatic airplanes flew over with smoke release and barrel rolls and all the other excitement of low altitude entertaining flight. One teensy problem: People on 77 would pull over, stop, and some leave their cars to watch the show from the roadside. Anyone else see this? I saw it from the highway, accidentally. I did not stop. After a season or two the air shows ended.

It is great that many have fond memories of the place.

Edit: This mentions it; http://carowindsearlyyears.com/balloon.html

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

No, I wasn't trolling.  Nor was I trying to step on anyone's nostalgia for roller coasters and snowcones.

But this is, more or less, a real estate forum.  As such, I repeat my question:  Is an amusement park the highest and best use of 400+ acres in a location such as this?  When Carowinds started, it was out in the sticks.  Land in the vicinity was cheap.  I-277 didn't exist.  Today?  Not so much.  Charlotte continues to grow toward the south, and York County, SC is the fastest growing county in the Charlotte metro area.

The site's access to I-77, I-277 (and the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport), US 21, NC 49, and NC 51 is outstanding.  The points made upthread about a current oversupply of office park space are well taken.  But that's temporary.  The "if you build it, they will come" slogan applies here.  In addition to a conventional office park, a portion of the land could attract a major industrial/assembly plant, for instance an auto factory.  Heck, a battle between NC and SC over which state promises the most tax incentives could attract a factory or two; the Carowinds site would win either way.

Retail, hotel, high density retail around the edges?  Maybe.  But for the most part, this strikes me as fertile ground for office and/or industrial uses.  Maybe it will be a few years away.  But the roller coasters will be squeezed out by more productive uses.

1 hour ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

No, I wasn't trolling.  Nor was I trying to step on anyone's nostalgia for roller coasters and snowcones.

But this is, more or less, a real estate forum.  As such, I repeat my question:  Is an amusement park the highest and best use of 400+ acres in a location such as this?  When Carowinds started, it was out in the sticks.  Land in the vicinity was cheap.  I-277 didn't exist.  Today?  Not so much.  Charlotte continues to grow toward the south, and York County, SC is the fastest growing county in the Charlotte metro area.

The site's access to I-77, I-277 (and the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport), US 21, NC 49, and NC 51 is outstanding.  The points made upthread about a current oversupply of office park space are well taken.  But that's temporary.  The "if you build it, they will come" slogan applies here.  In addition to a conventional office park, a portion of the land could attract a major industrial/assembly plant, for instance an auto factory.  Heck, a battle between NC and SC over which state promises the most tax incentives could attract a factory or two; the Carowinds site would win either way.

Retail, hotel, high density retail around the edges?  Maybe.  But for the most part, this strikes me as fertile ground for office and/or industrial uses.  Maybe it will be a few years away.  But the roller coasters will be squeezed out by more productive uses.

No. Just.....no 

• Like 2