Isn't it time for Carowinds to be redeveloped?

southernnorthcarolina

Growing up in extreme eastern NC (long before the Hornets and Panthers existed) one of the very few things I even knew about Charlotte was that Carowinds was there. This isn't a dig at Charlotte in any way just on my side of the state Charlotte doesn't carry a lot of weight. I hope to visit Carowinds on one of my visits to see my daughter. Is it a nice park? I live near Busch Gardens (Williamsburg, VA) and it [used to be] very nice. It has fallen off recently.

• Like 4

NOW.

If we wanted to talk about *moving* Carowinds to the Concord Mills/Speedway area. Right at the 85/485 interchange. That probably makes more sense than the current location, and it comes pre-loaded with the resort-like amenities. Really solidify it as Charlotte's version of I-Drive. Now that I could get behind?

Do all the civil engineering, put in all the buildings etc to get it ready, while the old park is still open. Once it's all ready, during the off season, shut it down, and have a 9 month blitz while they disassemble and move the rides across town.

image.thumb.png.3aad6c37303ea7ae0ed4aa57a989ae04.png

^^^^  #1 in yellow is a new warehouse park in development by Childress Klein.

from the Biz Journal in Jan. 2021

""Charlotte developer Childress Klein has filed a rezoning petition for a huge swath of undeveloped land that straddles Mecklenburg and Cabarrus counties.  The developer is seeking a rezoning for 287.7 acres near interstates 85 and 485, north of Ridge Road and south of Concord Mills, to build more than 2.2 million square feet of distribution and warehouse space as well as 700 residential units. The petition includes several parcels, including land currently owned by Speedway Motorsports and Sonic Financial Corp.""

#2 part of that is new apartment complex 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

Joking and nostalgia aside, I think Spacedog was right to think of what the future may hold. Carowinds might hive some of its property for development, keeping the Park for now. It may shrink to a different size and type of park, allowing more development. It may move deeper into South Carolina. As I suggested in my reminiscence of Pat Hall and his grand scheme in 1972, be not afraid of big dreams.

23 hours ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

I repeat my question:  Is an amusement park the highest and best use of 400+ acres in a location such as this? 

Yes.

23 hours ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

The "if you build it, they will come" slogan applies here.

Exactly.  A half century ago Carowinds was built, and they came.  And they still come . . .in droves.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Growing up in extreme eastern NC (long before the Hornets and Panthers existed) one of the very few things I even knew about Charlotte was that Carowinds was there. This isn't a dig at Charlotte in any way just on my side of the state Charlotte doesn't carry a lot of weight. I hope to visit Carowinds on one of my visits to see my daughter. Is it a nice park? I live near Busch Gardens (Williamsburg, VA) and it [used to be] very nice. It has fallen off recently.

Being from extreme ENC myself I can attest that Carowinds is of the same caliber as at least Kings Dominion. I actually like it better and I used to have a season pass to KD. Never been to Busch Gardens even though it's closer to me.