White Point / Greystar / Barings / MRP - East x South

j-man

Unfortunately it is just so hard to get condo building financing.  I wish some of our existing apartment towers would convert to condos. and quite honestly with this sales boom I would have thought that would have happened by now.    Greystar only does apartments though this Charleston based firm is the largest manager of apartments in the country!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, stw52 said:

I'm not going to get too excited about the greenery. Wasn't it Graystar that dismally failed with the greenery on the Ascent tower in Uptown? That said, i do like their buildings. 

Yes it was Greystar on their Ascent uptown

Here in Charlotte we have a green living wall company they can use and make it work

https://www.suiteplants.com/livepanel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Forgive the Snag-it art.  But this is what I understand to be the general placement of the apartment, new cut through street from East to E Kingston and the office building that was announced yesterday

image.thumb.png.92ae5f114cc4cc42c51141cec13c250a.png

The apartment tower will be on the Rosemont/Artisan building portion of the site.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

• Like 3

In the original plat of the property on South Boulevard there is a ten foot alley identified at the rear of it. This is from deed book 190 which is long, long ago but carried forward through all subsequent transactions. This, I assume, is the connection from East to Kingston. 

Note that in the original section of Dilworth from the 1890's alleys were in nearly every block. Hand carts for trash collection, and coal delivery. Maid entrance and package delivery to rear door. White guests only at front door. Same with commercial addresses as deliveries and removals were to use a common alley. Most often in my experience these alleys are identified as the rear ten or twelve feet of a property and to have shared use with other owners in the block. So one owner has the alley in his property deed but with a strong limitation of his private use or ability to restrict others in the block. Over time the original uses declined but the deed carries forward.

• Like 2

My only minor critique of this building, and it's very esoteric, is that the pool is on the wrong side of the building. (My family has an unhealthy pool predilection, so I can't help but be aware.) You always want your pool to have as much southern exposure as possible, and this is not only oriented towards the north and west,  towering walls on three sides are likely going to keep it largely shaded most of the day--but maybe highest midday sun will shine directly from above... It looks like they've tried to mitigate this as much as possible by pushing the pool as far to the terrace edge as they could, but it's still not going to get maximal sun exposure, so isn't going be an amenity of maximal use. I know (I know) a pool deck isn't enough justification to alter a building's design, but in theory it should be rotated 180 degrees, so at least the pool would get morning and early afternoon sun. What would be the difference in the view, anyway? It's not like looking down on the Rail Trail from eight stories up, and across an old building's roof, is more appealing than looking out across the trees of Dilworth... 

About half the new, larger apartment and condominium complexes in Charlotte make this same mistake, IMHO. I'm not an architect, but I always think about sun exposure, vis a vis building placement, even for internal space orientation and placement.  Just a thing. (I love, love the Vantage buildings on Carson as much as anyone, but that courtyard is going to be shaded and relatively chilly all year long--so, nice for the hottest months of summer, but not an appealing space for at least half the year.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, ertley said:

My only minor critique of this building, and it's very esoteric, is that the pool is on the wrong side of the building. (My family has an unhealthy pool predilection, so I can't help but be aware.) You always want your pool to have as much southern exposure as possible, and this is not only oriented towards the north and west,  towering walls on three sides are likely going to keep it largely shaded most of the day--but maybe highest midday sun will shine directly from above... It looks like they've tried to mitigate this as much as possible by pushing the pool as far to the terrace edge as they could, but it's still not going to get maximal sun exposure, so isn't going be an amenity of maximal use. I know (I know) a pool deck isn't enough justification to alter a building's design, but in theory it should be rotated 180 degrees, so at least the pool would get morning and early afternoon sun. What would be the difference in the view, anyway? It's not like looking down on the Rail Trail from eight stories up, and across an old building's roof, is more appealing than looking out across the trees of Dilworth... 

About half the new, larger apartment and condominium complexes in Charlotte make this same mistake, IMHO. I'm not an architect, but I always think about sun exposure, vis a vis building placement, even for internal space orientation and placement.  Just a thing. (I love, love the Vantage buildings on Carson as much as anyone, but that courtyard is going to be shaded and relatively chilly all year long--so, nice for the hottest months of summer, but not an appealing space for at least half the year.)

I imagine opening up to and facing the traffic on South Blvd is less desirable than too much shade. It certainly won't be the worst pool deck as far as shade goes. Mosaic's and Camden's gets way less sun. It actually seems like most of the apartments in South End have less than ideal pool/sun interaction.

image.png.2d7f130450f6559e61e3b7f37cd03062.png

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TheRealClayton said:

image.thumb.png.fd0afc8bd843f6982f24e12f3a0c79d7.png

This is the basic siteplan. Remember Apartments will never have that much bigger of a floor plate than office. ever. 

Wish we could avoid adding anymore curb cuts to south blvd, This just creates more of a headache for traffic and pedestrians. It would be ideal to keep all the traffic flow onto E kingston, maybe even a light there though I know NCDOT would never go for that. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

Wish we could avoid adding anymore curb cuts to south blvd, This just creates more of a headache for traffic and pedestrians. It would be ideal to keep all the traffic flow onto E kingston, maybe even a light there though I know NCDOT would never go for that. 

South Blvd will be all kind of effed up in the future. Apartment feasibility basically requires entrances on South Blvd, and at the same time NCDOT is planning on widening it. It's eventually going to just be a highway with crosswalks.