White Point / Greystar / Barings / MRP - East x South

j-man

1 hour ago, DJ8hep said:

Sooo I got some intel on what has been happening the past couple of days here. Apparently they are filming a movie!

95776de2e73977818102f417193430fa.jpg

https://abovetheline.com/2022/10/07/mother-couch-movie-taylor-russell-ewan-mcgregor-ellen-burstyn/

Would be cool to catch a glimpse of Obi-Wan Kenobi in Charlotte (I do know Obi-Wan Kenobi is not a real person. Couldn't be. Those events happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away).  :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JeanClt said:

bd53526cf35218bdb3550335f77138cd.jpg
https://www.cmstory.org/exhibits/turn-21st-century/miller-services

This used to be grocery store. It has an interesting design.

It actually started its life as the Charlotte Exposition Center, well before it became an A&P

16 hours ago, go_vertical said:

Please tell me the Miller building is getting incorporated into the new tower.

Sadly with ROW restrictions in Charlotte i don't even think you could touch Miller Services for Renovation.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

It actually started its life as the Charlotte Exposition Center, well before it became an A&P

Sadly with ROW restrictions in Charlotte i don't even think you could touch Miller Services for Renovation.

Any one have any interior pics of this building??  I've always been curious as to what it looks like.

On 12/13/2016 at 11:01 AM, tarhoosier said:

Just to let you know that there is one reader/poster on this board who was a customer of this A&P in the early-mid 70's. It was the darkest and dirtiest store I can recall. The only natural light was from those front windows and antique lighting from waaaay overhead was quite ineffective. The brown (brown!) linoleum floor had voids and looked like compacted dirt rather than solid modern flooring. Everything reeked of age. I bought no butcher meat here. As a Dilworth resident at the time shopping choices were few. Miller Office Equipment has owned this location for many years. There was a Colonial grocery at Charlottetowne Mall, later Midtown and now Metropolitan.

Across the street was Niven Drugs as well as a long time shoe repair shop. Niven Drugs had a soda fountain and served lime ice cream, a favorite of my house mate at the time and I still recall it fondly. The facade of these buildings was preserved and remains, so something can be seen of this past. An early Holy Comforter Church was on the site of Carabbas. This block, the center of commerce for the original community of Dilworth of 1890-1920, has been preserved as much as any block in the middle of Charlotte, I believe.

this how it looked years ago

• Like 2

Any more details on the ROW issues? Also if they don’t keep the original building I’d think there is easily room for two towers, it’s half a block.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
Until I see Camden Road converted to a large, decorated public square, I have to conclude that the Civic Amenity Coverage Ratio in South End is woeful.  It's simply becoming too dense with too few public amenity resource to make it worthy of renown, in my opinion.

It’s certainly a way to make up for the lack of public/park space.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Who do we know in the biz that can give us a UP  stripe or flag to identify the transition point between uses.

It could be a celebratory badge and at the same time, give more people a true understanding of the Parking:Other ratio in these buildings. Heck, it might increase public pressure on developers (who listen during their community outreach meetings) for better screening options.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1