The Stockyards at 900 & 1000 2nd Ave. North (Phase I: 6 stories, 339 units; Phase II: 12 stories, 200+ units, office and retail space; internal garages for both)

markhollin

The greenway has gotten a lot of attention lately in terms of projects. I mean just a few days ago the 2nd & Van Buren project was announced along it and now this! I do wish the phase 2 allowed pedestrian access from Jefferson St as it doesn’t look like it does I believe. I supposed they could change that when phase 2 is further planned out though.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nashville born said:

Does zoning allow for any mid-rise height in that area?

Technically speaking these are considered mid-rise buildings. When high-rise is considered anything above 75' in height (this is a life safety/fire thing) mid-rise vs low-rise is pretty minimal.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

900 & 1000 2nd Ave. North will be a two phase residential project in the North Capitol District by Proffit Dixon Partners on the 5.93 acres at that address. Phase I will feature a 6 story structure that has 339 units and a 400 space internal garage.  Phase II will be 12 stories tall, featuring hundreds more units, office space, retail, and also have an internal garage.  No word as to when that will get underway. 

3 architects are seemingly involved: Axiom, EOA, and Manuel Zeitlin.

The team will go before MDHA Design Review Committee on Feb. 15 to seek concept plan approval.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/02/03/proffitt-dixon-second-avenue.html

And behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/details-submitted-to-metro-for-north-capitol-project/article_8b0a259a-852d-11ec-a6cc-9719f3021c03.html

Phase I renderings:

Phase I and II mass renderings:

Phase I and II diagrams:

900 & 1000 2nd Ave North, Feb 3, 2022, diagram 2.png

900 & 1000 2nd Ave North, Feb 3, 2022, site map.png

This is rather what i expected after the tornado nuked the existing site and is of scale  and quality similar to other nearby works.  A good solid proposal IMO to start from with Metro.   However, I feel that the developers MUST address some site issues that will be a nasty thorn in selling off these units to buyers.  I am VERY well acquainted with the site per the second phase., which is where the objectional conditions are located.  First and less objectionable is the lot across 2nd Avenue N., which is itself a prime development site.  The little patch of woods next to Jefferson Street ids a small homeless encampment.  It is small enough to be easily controlled.  The larger objectional condition is under the Bridge itself.    Immediately adjacent to the #2 north side, the area under the bridge is regularly used  to distribute food to the homeless by several agencies and to hold religious meetings to preach to them.  Additionally, the area across the railtracks there also under the bridge is a MAJOR area for homeless camping...even though illegal.  The banks down to the river there are a literal garbage dump down to the water.  Much the same is true of that behind the concrete mixing plant   It is altogether nasty.  I would not buy into this proposal as pig in a poke UNLESS these objectional off site can be resolved.  The homeless issues here must be solved and a proper cleanup performed.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, nashville born said:

Does zoning allow for any mid-rise height in that area?

According to the docs I have seen they are asking for bonus height based on square footage and not height. Maybe Craig can explain it better and tell us how it works. I assume this is how it will work with the taller building in phase 2 as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...
  • markhollin changed the title to The Stockyards at 900 & 1000 2nd Ave. North (Phase I: 6 stories, 339 units; Phase II: 12 stories, 200+ units, office and retail space; internal garages for both)
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, chc3 said:

That section of the greenway from downtown to Metro Center is going to be one lively and attractive pedestrian zone in a few years. Since we’ll never get light rail up that stretch, perhaps a water-taxi “vaporetto” program?

We had a water taxi years ago. Not sure why they did away with it. It ran between downtown and Opryland.

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

We had a water taxi years ago. Not sure why they did away with it. It ran between downtown and Opryland.

At least a part of the reason for the elimination of Opryland’s water taxis was that due to shoreline erosion from their operations they were required to lower the speed of the boats. The cost of operation and the additional time required for each trip made them a less attractive alternative to other forms of transportation.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...