Seventy Eight at St. Paul's (Approved)

varider

I grew up in the church at the bottom of that map. The story I was told is that the church sold the lot to the city back in the 70s.

The only time I remember any parking issues was on Sunday afternoons and maybe during Wednesday or Thursday night events. So for that reason I’m curious as to how this affects parking for two churches, even though it’s a pretty large lot. 

The design looks pretty solid given the project. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, varider said:

~270 apartments proposed+ small commercial space on the corner of St. Paul’s/Bute + a substantial city-owned parking garage to accommodate Scope / church overflow. Apartments are to be built out of steel rather than wood + 80% will be market rate with 20% affordable housing. 

1A278127-8EC1-4876-9BA7-109A82F2A4D6.png

576E880D-0126-4AAD-AFB5-408F3E13A54E.png

This is MUCH closer to what I was expecting out of these developments downtown. Much more fitting of an urban area, and combined with the other developments, should aid in St. Paul's gaining a dense urban corridor feel. Since this one has an official name, it needs it's own thread. I'll add one shortly.

• Like 4

• vdogg changed the title to Seventy Eight at St. Paul's (Proposed)
  • vdogg pinned this topic
On 2/7/2022 at 1:54 PM, BFG said:

I grew up in the church at the bottom of that map. The story I was told is that the church sold the lot to the city back in the 70s.

The only time I remember any parking issues was on Sunday afternoons and maybe during Wednesday or Thursday night events. So for that reason I’m curious as to how this affects parking for two churches, even though it’s a pretty large lot. 

The design looks pretty solid given the project. 

I grew up in the Church right down Bute St. St. John's AME Church.  Real exciting what is happening to this part of Norfolk.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, vdogg said:

At 48:24 you get an example of why modern architecture gets watered down in this city. Not everything has to be “historical”…

I get what you are saying, though in this case I think this was just one board member who didn't understand that the developer was simply following the guidance prescribed by the City. To me, it's an example of different City boards not understanding each other, not communicating, and having competing interests.

But when she said, "I feel like I'm in Virginia Beach..." oh brother!

• Like 2

I don't know about all that other stuff, but I'm just so glad there is a ground level retail/store component. I'm so tired of just a building that goes dead after 6pm because there is no reason to be out unless you going to or from your apt. I think every building in that area should have a spot for a store, retail or some type... no more single building stand alone structures

• Like 4

On 2/21/2022 at 9:36 PM, brikkman said:

I don't know about all that other stuff, but I'm just so glad there is a ground level retail/store component. I'm so tired of just a building that goes dead after 6pm because there is no reason to be out unless you going to or from your apt. I think every building in that area should have a spot for a store, retail or some type... no more single building stand alone structures

Agreed.  This is the sort of project the city needs to continue shooting for even if it takes longer to happen. If they want to "expand downtown," mixed use is going to be essential, otherwise nobody will go there.  If they go with primarily residential (as we've been seeing) for St. Paul's, it's basically creating a border of residential and isolates current downtown. 

• Like 3

On 2/24/2022 at 11:30 AM, Ghentite said:

Agreed.  This is the sort of project the city needs to continue shooting for even if it takes longer to happen. If they want to "expand downtown," mixed use is going to be essential, otherwise nobody will go there.  If they go with primarily residential (as we've been seeing) for St. Paul's, it's basically creating a border of residential and isolates current downtown. 

What is the Zoning like in Downtown currently? They should rezone all of Downtown and the surrounding areas to a Mixed-Use designation that prohibits any new development from being Single-Use.

On 2/18/2022 at 5:46 PM, Up2313 said:

Just a shame they are not looking to put the new arena right where scope is.  It really is already the best spot. 

True, Though isint scope somewhat a symbol of norfolk's Downtown? Im not saying scope is the most valuable but removing it could be like removing ICON tower. Although I might not be doing justice to ICON's value by relating it to scope. EDIT- I think it could be more relatable to removing the PNC tower instead because I now take notice to how extremely valuable ICON tower is to our downtown and Scope is not near such value, yet.

Edited by mintscraft56
Did not do ICON tower justice for its value.

Now about that building. Im a little disappointed how they worry so much about "historical" stuff. Isint that the stuff they tore down a couple decades ago? Anyways I appreciate our history but needing everthing to revolve around it kinda kills the creative minds that some developers have in creating new buildings.

11 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

Both ICON tower and Scope have architectural value. The ICON tower was designed by Chicago's Owens, Skidmore, and Merrill, a very notable mid-century form, and was norfolk's first true "modern" skyscraper. Scope, designed by famous Italian archictect Pierre Luigi Nervi, is considered by many to be a classic example of brutalist acrchitecture (use of exposed concrete.) 

Skidmore, Owings, & Merrill is such an amazing architecture firm. I wish they did projects for moderate-sized cities still. But they’ve become so high-profile, designing everything from One World Trade Center to Burj Khalifa.

On 2/27/2022 at 5:54 PM, NFKjeff said:

Both ICON tower and Scope have architectural value. The ICON tower was designed by Chicago's Owens, Skidmore, and Merrill, a very notable mid-century form, and was norfolk's first true "modern" skyscraper. Scope, designed by famous Italian archictect Pierre Luigi Nervi, is considered by many to be a classic example of brutalist acrchitecture (use of exposed concrete.) 

True though I was just trying to address the whole remove it and replace it thing. 

Make Scope into a convention center or entertainment venue like Dave and Buster's. I know it's a little redundant with the one in VB and Hampton, but that design is too cool to tear down just to build more overpriced apartments. 

Whenever the Military Circle arena opens, there's enough square footage to give Scope a second life as something else.

Or....food hall. Anyone?