Crescent: Carson Southend (Enterprise site) S. Tryon x Carson MXD

KJHburg

9 hours ago, The Real Clayton said:

I've been trying to rebrand it "Downtown"

That would be re-rebrand it "Downtown"... Downtown->Uptown->Center City->Uptown->who cares at this point right. Just keep building! I often think of people that are within 2hrs of Charlotte and wonder what they make (or if they care) about the many neighborhoods in the city. 

NoDa. Plaza-Midwood.  LoSo. Uptown. Midtown. Southend. SouthPark. Wilmore.  and so many more I can't keep up.  Do they just call it all Charlotte or maybe they know of the major ones at best. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Skyybutter said:

That would be re-rebrand it "Downtown"... Downtown->Uptown->Center City->Uptown->who cares at this point right. Just keep building! I often think of people that are within 2hrs of Charlotte and wonder what they make (or if they care) about the many neighborhoods in the city. 

NoDa. Plaza-Midwood.  LoSo. Uptown. Midtown. Southend. SouthPark. Wilmore.  and so many more I can't keep up.  Do they just call it all Charlotte or maybe they know of the major ones at best. 

My experience in the Triangle has been that people know Uptown and NoDa pretty well but that’s about it. I have heard occasional mention of SouthPark. I also imagine South End will become more of a household name around the Carolinas over the coming decade. You probably won’t find anyone aware of Plaza-Midwood, Wilmore, etc. though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Skyybutter said:

I care. Though I reside 2 hours away, (100 miles exactly), but work in the city 3 days/week, commuting all 3 days, (as I prefer my own bed at night), and I certainly know the areas of the city,  and refer to them by their names, as though I'm a lifelong resident lol 

ps yes I have full work schedule autonomy, and am reimbursed for travel, so that certainly helps tremendously. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I actually like the name Down South as this new Carson S Tryon intersection is south of the existing uptown  likely these type of tall buildings will not be repeated further south at least not for years.   I will vote for Down South.  But I do think the other area nearby really needs the Gold District branding as it where the biggest gold mines were in this town. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I actually like the name Down South as this new Carson S Tryon intersection is south of the existing uptown  likely these type of tall buildings will not be repeated further south at least not for years.   I will vote for Down South.  But I do think the other area nearby really needs the Gold District branding as it where the biggest gold mines were in this town. 

KJH, you're awesome, but please God not "Down South."

As someone who regularly hosts friends from other countries in Charlotte since relocating here from NYC 3 years ago, I plead with you all that we stop confusing people with these names for the core part of urban Charlotte?  We don't sound original or authentic, we sound confused.  Bad enough we call what most consider a "Downtown," Uptown...but most folks can get over that.  If we decide to formalize a "Downtown" as an adjunct to Uptown (in this case, Carson row), we're using terms that are commonly associated with center city CBDs, and effectively branding a mega-CBD in Charlotte, comprised of an Uptown district and a Downtown district.  That'll be clear for visitors from Bordeaux to Paris to Berlin, planning their stays in Charlotte.

I can hear it now: "My realtor told us that South Charlotte is the nicest and wealthiest part of the city with the best schools, but the pictures looked very suburban and we want something more walkable and diverse.  So we are going to pass on Down South Charlotte for a denser and more urban offering."

"Oh no, Down South Charlotte isn't South Charlotte."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mid South NC said:

I care. Though I reside 2 hours away, (100 miles exactly), but work in the city 3 days/week, commuting all 3 days, (as I prefer my own bed at night), and I certainly know the areas of the city,  and refer to them by their names, as though I'm a lifelong resident lol 

Interesting.  I knew many people at a former job that commuted from the Triad to Charlotte after a merger moved the headquarters from there to CLT. I commuted 61miles when I lived in Philly(1.5hrs one way). I know all about commuting. I knew areas of Philly like you know CLT. How similar our path. 

I couldn't have cared less if an area of the city changed names. It rarely happened since as you know PHL is crazy old. 

I'm sure you are aware that old time Charlotteans know what we refer to as Uptown, as Downtown. That is where "re-rebranded" comes from in my comment.

"Who cares at this point right" was me simply riding the excitement of all the spectacular growth happening around Charlotte. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

My experience in the Triangle has been that people know Uptown and NoDa pretty well but that’s about it. I have heard occasional mention of SouthPark. I also imagine South End will become more of a household name around the Carolinas over the coming decade. You probably won’t find anyone aware of Plaza-Midwood, Wilmore, etc. though. 

Thanks so much for this insight! I'm shocked about people not knowing SouthPark though. I would think with the exclusive  retail there that lots of people from the Triangle would make a day or weekend of it for those stores. Thx again.

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Does anyone know when demolition and excavation will start?

Not sure but my bet would be in the next year like maybe 1st or 2nd Quarter of 2023.  Guess based on @TheRealClaytonsaying they haven’t closed on the parcel yet and my knowledge of Construction and how hard of a time companies have been having getting/keeping experienced staff.

• Like 4

Coincidentally, I submitted a proposal to the city planners working on the Rail Trail pedestrian bridge across 277--and got a response from them, which I very much appreciated, regardless of outcome--proposing signage/art for the NW side/approach, labeling each arch as DOWNtown and SOUTHend:
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_02/IMG_0846.thumb.jpg.dd31e455ba4df8654b6d34aafca10253.jpg
Of course, these letters should be lighted at night, and be painted in bold color(s), not some dull minimalist white. Now @TheRealClayton's campaign to rebrand the area south of 277 is going to totally obviate my proposal! Wahh. I suppose you could substitute DOWNtown with UPtown, but you definitely can't have UPtown and DOWNtown on the arches, that wouldn't work.
My idea was that "DOWN" and "SOUTH" would be larger and in all caps to create sort of portmanteau of the two areas, for (IMO) a great landmark and/or branding opportunity for Charlotte. I thought highlighting DOWN SOUTH would help Charlotte visually stake its claim as a major Southern city. This side of the pedestrian bridge would be highly visible by any cameras panning from or around the stadium...
I argued in my email to the planners that--which I've posted on here before--that historically Uptown and Downtown were used interchangeably for, well, Uptown/Downtown, and I chose Downtown purely for the synergy potential with South End. Oh well, I tried my best. 

I like what you’re saying but thinking about it a little more Charlotte is generally “UP SOUTH” if you will lol. On the upper half of the south. I wouldn’t say UPtown wouldn’t be just as good.