Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

Mith242

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...cool design...the location on the river is a plus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well it's actually a creek. The two buildings going across are on top of dams to make two ponds. I think I heard they're building this on the last piece of last that's not developed in the Bentonville city limits.

I'm definitely no fan of the Waltons.  But that is a schnazzy design, if I do say so myself.

We must unite to build our own forum!...

so anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a nice design, but I still wish E Fay Jones were alive and if he could have had a chance to design something. I'd say all the best architecture in northwest Arkansas are his designs.

E Fay Jones. Definitely.  Definitely an Arkansan great, or American great for that matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the U of A is now releasing some info so you can take a tour of Fayetteville and know where all of E Fay Jones architecture is. I know there is quite a bit of it around up here. But most of the times they don't give any exact addresses. Although I have come across a couple just driving around. Anyone have any favorites of his? Because he never built any real large structures I always felt he was often overlooked by most people. Thorncrown Chapel is probably the one that gets the most recognition. I believe one architecture group rated it the 4th best building of the 20th century. The Cooper Memorial Chapel in Bella Vista is also very nice and a lot less crowded than Thorncrown Chapel. The only other building of his that is rather visible is the Underwood Building on Dickson St in Fayetteville. I have seen a couple of the homes he's built, but they're not the easiest to find.

It is the Arkansas Arts Center, and was remodeled for $21 million a few years ago.

lr_arkartsctr_005_l.jpg

Besides being an impressive facility in its own right, it's located in historic MacArthur Park, an area with gorgeous old homes, many antebellum, and large trees.

Here is an excerpt from the Art Center's website:

The Arkansas Arts Center has been steadfastly committed to building a collection of unique works on paper, primarily American and European, from the Renaissance to the present. Among the most recognizable works in the collection are sheets by C

One of the "houses" that Jones designed can be found just off of Old Wire Rd in Fayetteville- the large "treehouse" structure visible from the mall-end of the city. I could even see it standing above the trees from the balcony of my first apartment. It's a neat house.

Anyway, a few things: Yes, the University is releasing a map of where Jones' designs are located throughout AR.

My comment on Crystal Bridges is this: I'd be a lot more gung-ho about the idea if I knew whether or not it was limited to showing ONLY her (the Walton chick funding it) personal collection, or whether provisions have been made to include other exhibits as well. As far as I know, it's basically a public space to showcase her personal collection- so I disagree with both the premise of the building and the actual value that it has to the area.

One of the "houses" that Jones designed can be found just off of Old Wire Rd in Fayetteville- the large "treehouse" structure visible from the mall-end of the city. I could even see it standing above the trees from the balcony of my first apartment. It's a neat house.

Anyway, a few things: Yes, the University is releasing a map of where Jones' designs are located throughout AR.

My comment on Crystal Bridges is this: I'd be a lot more gung-ho about the idea if I knew whether or not it was limited to showing ONLY her (the Walton chick funding it) personal collection, or whether provisions have been made to include other exhibits as well. As far as I know, it's basically a public space to showcase her personal collection- so I disagree with both the premise of the building and the actual value that it has to the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone know if touring art pieces will be showcased? Or is it permanently her stuff?

That's what I was getting at. So far, the reports have been about it being a place to showcase her private collection for the public. I haven't heard any word yet on any other collections or exhibits being included in the future.

I sure as hell hope it's not closed off to travelling exhibits.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you prefer she cache probably the greatest private collection of American art, or share it with the public? I think it was a wonderfully generous thing to do--first fund a world-class art museum ($50 million), and secondly assemble such a fine collection to share with the public. Works include a Charles Willson Peale portrait of George Washington, Asher B. Durand's "Kindred Sprits," works by Rockwell, Homer, et al. The Durand piece was bought at a record price for a piece of American art, $35 million.

I can't say for sure on whether the museum will house works from other collections, but I can only imagine that it will. I know the Arkansas Arts Center has several galleries named for the philanthropists who have donated works.

That's what I was getting at. So far, the reports have been about it being a place to showcase her private collection for the public. I haven't heard any word yet on any other collections or exhibits being included in the future.

I sure as hell hope it's not closed off to travelling exhibits.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the museum will display travelling exhibits. I thought you only inquired about the permanent collection in your earlier post.

Yes it's nice that it's being built. But if someone came up to you and said something like 'come see Alice Walton's art collection, come see what see can afford'. Seeing it from that viewpoint it doesn't seem quite so attractive. But at this moment I'm willing to take anything as long as it's adding to the cultural diversity of northwest Arkansas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not trying to be nosey, but I used to work with someone named Lindsey here in Fayetteville. But she lives in Rogers now. Just trying to figure out if you're her.

Yes it's nice that it's being built.  But if someone came up to you and said something like 'come see Alice Walton's art collection, come see what see can afford'.  Seeing it from that viewpoint it doesn't seem quite so attractive.  But at this moment I'm willing to take anything as long as it's adding to the cultural diversity of northwest Arkansas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's very distasteful to go around questioning someone's personal intentions like that. I'm more optimistic. Some people always go around questioning the motives of successful people. It really irks me. I'm not saying you're like that, Mith, but I don't see what on earth the lady has done to deserve this. She's invested a lot of time and money in giving back to a place, Arkansas, that she didn't have to. If she had some egomaniacal purpose, wouldn't it be better if she built a museum in New York or San Francisco, rather than a small town in Arkansas?

That's very distasteful to go around questioning someone's personal intentions like that. I'm more optimistic. Some people always go around questioning the motives of successful people. It really irks me. I'm not saying you're like that, Mith, but I don't see what on earth the lady has done to deserve this. She's invested a lot of time and money in giving back to a place, Arkansas, that she didn't have to. If she had some egomaniacal purpose, wouldn't it be better if she built a museum in New York or San Francisco, rather than a small town in Arkansas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do agree, I do think this looks like something more than what I had earlier. Like I said even if it was done with that in mind I'd still want it up here. Right now I'm willing to get anything to expand the cultural aspect up here. It all might have more to do with some things 'ol' Alice' has done in the past, that's irked some people up here. I've give some more info when I have a little more time.

No, Mith, I'm not the Lindsey that you know. I still live in F-ville.

My personal beef with the subject is that it's her personal collection, and I, personally, don't like it. If she was ONLY catering to her own personal art collection, I would think that CB is serving a very narrow purpose- but, as we've already established, Walton is indeed allowing room for other exhibits. Awesome.

Seriously, though. I halfway expected to see something by Thomas Kincaid hidden in her collection somewhere.

I see your point but right now just having anything certainly helps northwest Arkansas. As far as what all is in her collection or what's going to be on display. You never know, she's been rather secretive about all of this for quite a while. It's obvious she's been planning something like this for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if she had a few more surprises up her sleeve. I wouldn't be too surprised if she has some other artwork she hasn't made public yet.

Archived