Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

Mith242

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a link to that article. Over all it basically covers what we in this area have pretty much already heard. But still nice to see some national publicity on it. Although I still get a bit irritated hearing about how some are complaining about some of the artwork coming here. Yet some of these same cities have museums with art and artifacts that Native Americans and people in other countries would prefer some of those items 'returned' as well. But anyway I'll get off the soapbox now.

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/story/2011/08/Walton-backed-museum-sends-ripples-across-USA/49989432/1

• 5 months later...

Been waiting for things to die down a bit. Although I imagine it's going to stay pretty busy all this year. But I finally made my way over to Crystal Bridges. I wasn't disappointed. It's a great facility and looking forward to more trips in the near future. I think I waited just a bit too long. I think they've already started rotating out some of the collection.

Been waiting for things to die down a bit. Although I imagine it's going to stay pretty busy all this year. But I finally made my way over to Crystal Bridges. I wasn't disappointed. It's a great facility and looking forward to more trips in the near future. I think I waited just a bit too long. I think they've already started rotating out some of the collection.

I've been waiting for to thin out myself. I usually move slower than most people in a museum so I like it when not too many people are there. Was there a big crowd? Did you try out any of the trails?

I've been waiting for to thin out myself. I usually move slower than most people in a museum so I like it when not too many people are there. Was there a big crowd? Did you try out any of the trails?

If anyone wants to see the Last Supper (and you do) before it rotates out for quite some time, you need to go soon. It and the rest of the light sensitive art is about to be put away for quite some time- it can only be displayed one out of ten years and they're about to hit a four month rotation window so it'll be in storage for at least a couple years before it appears again for a few months. I wish I could go visit every few months to see every time the collection changes, too bad I'm not in NWA anymore.

If anyone wants to see the Last Supper (and you do) before it rotates out for quite some time, you need to go soon. It and the rest of the light sensitive art is about to be put away for quite some time- it can only be displayed one out of ten years and they're about to hit a four month rotation window so it'll be in storage for at least a couple years before it appears again for a few months. I wish I could go visit every few months to see every time the collection changes, too bad I'm not in NWA anymore.

Thanks for the tip I'd hadn't realized light sensitivity was that big of an issue. Even more of a reason to get up there and check it out.

Great pics! In those photos the use of wood is absolutely stunning. I don't know if I'm more excited to see the building itself or the art within.

I agree with you. I was just excited looking over the architecture as I was with the actual artwork. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard what the next temporary exhibit will be after the current Wonder World comes down. But it sounds like in May they will have an exhibit based on the Hudson River School Art movement. The museum already has some nice examples of it. But this exhibit will display art on loan from the New York Historical Society. Personally I'll be looking forward to it. Although it's hard to really pick a favorite art period in the museum for me, this one is certainly up there for me. Although the museum is free, there will be a fee for this temporary exhibit.

• 2 weeks later...

Great building, largely unchallenging art. Certainly worth one visit but I won't go back until the collection improves. I think i was a bit pessimistic though about it being only a regional draw tourism-wise...the museum has gotten a bunch of writeups and I've heard some anecdotes that arty coastal types are making/will make the journey.

Great building, largely unchallenging art. Certainly worth one visit but I won't go back until the collection improves. I think i was a bit pessimistic though about it being only a regional draw tourism-wise...the museum has gotten a bunch of writeups and I've heard some anecdotes that arty coastal types are making/will make the journey.

Just curious what do mean by 'unchallenging'? I admit I haven't been to any of the big museums on the coasts so I don't have much to compare Crystal Bridges to. I guess I ended up on the other end. I wasn't trying to expect too much when I first went and ended up being pleasantly surprised. I grew up on museums in Pine Bluff and Little Rock. So of course this is on a totally different scale. I certainly would like for the collection to grow. But I still like the collection enough that I still plan more visits in the near future. I also have gotten the impression people are coming to the museum outside the area. Sometimes it's hard to tell because so many people from outside the area have recently moved into the area. But still judging from the license plates on the vehicles, I've seen some from well outside the region. Of course I have no idea if those people are just here to see the museum or visiting friends or family and happened to stop by.

The art overall is broad, somewhat bland, fusty, and obviously is limited to American art. Colonial Americana is just not at all what I'm interested in. There are some interesting pieces...just not enough for a repeat, for me.

It's exactly what I would imagine a brand-new, Middle America, art-via-philanthropy museum would be. Still It's a decent start, they have a great building and grounds and plenty o'funding so I expect improvement.

The art overall is broad, somewhat bland, fusty, and obviously is limited to American art. Colonial Americana is just not at all what I'm interested in. There are some interesting pieces...just not enough for a repeat, for me.

It's exactly what I would imagine a brand-new, Middle America, art-via-philanthropy museum would be. Still It's a decent start, they have a great building and grounds and plenty o'funding so I expect improvement.

Sorry, I didn't mean it as if I was calling you out or something. :) I was just curious what you meant. I do wish they could do more than American artwork. But I suppose focusing on something is probably the best way to start. There was more 'non-colonial' art than I was expecting. I hadn't really thought about it, but I wonder what the typical NWA resident would appreciate the most in the artwork. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if the Colonial artwork might be a big hit to a lot of people. I've never been a huge modern art fan. But I admit I enjoyed the modern art more than I thought. I think being able to see the actual artwork in person rather than just a picture in book makes a difference. I suppose if I had to pick a favorite section of the artwork I'd have to pick the Late 1800's area of the museum. Anyway just curious to hear your input.

I also don't particularly care for most modern art. I think its cool that museums focus on certain genres as people can choose whatever level they'd like to be experiencing. My own criteria for enjoying artwork is that it be done by a human hand, and that it capture beauty. Traditional artwork can inspire, while a lot of modern artwork seems cheap to me. I personally care less about statements or opinions than I do craftsmanship, competence and talent.

I also don't particularly care for most modern art. I think its cool that museums focus on certain genres as people can choose whatever level they'd like to be experiencing. My own criteria for enjoying artwork is that it be done by a human hand, and that it capture beauty. Traditional artwork can inspire, while a lot of modern artwork seems cheap to me. I personally care less about statements or opinions than I do craftsmanship, competence and talent.

I agree with this. A lot of modern art has no meaning or anything I can connect with or appreciate. Modern sculpture is more likely to connect with me, but as far as overall appeal I'm a huge sucker for landscapes or paintings of people (not necessarily portraits) since they really capture the artist's talent and there can be an amazing amount of emotion injected into the painting. With that in mind, Crystal Bridges was a fantastic fit for me since a lot of American art, particularly during the westward expansion and such, focuses on landscapes and nature.

• 2 years later...

I love bringing up old post when I could just as easily have this in the Bentonville post... But I thought it was better in this.

Last week the ground was broken between the northern side of the Museum's entrance and the Church for the Amazeum. It will be nice to have so much within that little area. 

Also, if you have not had the chance to visit the museum recently then you should. With how nice (This week aside) it has been outside it makes for some great walks.

At this rate, someone needs to build a few bars on the section of J street.

Archived