Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

Mith242

It's a really nice garden with many species of trees and plantlife. There's a bubbling brook crossed over by a couple footbridges and the people there are real pleasant and proud of it. It's a historic house and gardens donated by a Dr. Compton and is affiliated with the Peel Mansion Museum & Heritage Garden. Check out their website at www.comptongardens.org.

Interesting, I'll have to check it out next time I'm up there. Thanks for the info. :D

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's an interesting article about Crystal Bridges HERE. It sounds like the new design is about half finished and the public was shown pictures. They're going to make this a family friendly museum with a lot of educational programs and exhibits about American cartoons and the history of baseball. Sounds like fun for the whole family, but I have a feeling they're going to charge high dollar for family programs and events just to keep the "peasants" out. The way the museum director is talking about it the museum will cater to Wal-Mart supplier families and will most likely try to exclude the general population with a pricetag.

There's an interesting article about Crystal Bridges HERE. It sounds like the new design is about half finished and the public was shown pictures. They're going to make this a family friendly museum with a lot of educational programs and exhibits about American cartoons and the history of baseball. Sounds like fun for the whole family, but I have a feeling they're going to charge high dollar for family programs and events just to keep the "peasants" out. The way the museum director is talking about it the museum will cater to Wal-Mart supplier families and will most likely try to exclude the general population with a pricetag.

MasonsDad...perhaps. But in a way that just doesn't make that much sense. Would those mainly local "non-peasants" alone, wealthy as they are, be able to support a museum with an operating budget as large that this one?

It's the very existence of this thing that actually lends credence to rumors of other attractions which shall remain unnamed. I'm just not convinced this (and Sam Walton's museum, important as it genuinely is) is the only thing on the horizon which is going to draw tourists to this area.

Either that or there really ARE going to be 1,000,000+ in this metro area some day. Perhaps both situations are being planned upon.

MasonsDad...perhaps. But in a way that just doesn't make that much sense. Would those mainly local "non-peasants" alone, wealthy as they are, be able to support a museum with an operating budget as large that this one?

It's the very existence of this thing that actually lends credence to rumors of other attractions which shall remain unnamed. I'm just not convinced this (and Sam Walton's museum, important as it genuinely is) is the only thing on the horizon which is going to draw tourists to this area.

Either that or there really ARE going to be 1,000,000+ in this metro area some day. Perhaps both situations are being planned upon.

Crystal Bridges will operate without public funds, which was stated in the article, but the museum is being built within a upper-middle class neighborhood of Wal-Mart suppliers and they're not going to want their community swarmed by "peasants". They've already said they would most likely charge for special exhibits and events and the only way to keep these things special is to make them exclusive (expensive).

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new plans. I also have a question. I know it probably varies a lot but what would other museums similar to this charge? To be honest I wasn't expecting prices to be real cheap. Even if it's a bit pricey I still think it's worth a visit. I don't know if most people would feel the need to visit it very frequently if they're concerned about prices.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new plans. I also have a question. I know it probably varies a lot but what would other museums similar to this charge? To be honest I wasn't expecting prices to be real cheap. Even if it's a bit pricey I still think it's worth a visit. I don't know if most people would feel the need to visit it very frequently if they're concerned about prices.

Well it's a museum so admission should be free just like the Walton Arts Center galleries and most museums in the country. Museums usually charge admission for special exhibits and events and also have spaces that can be leased by corporate or individual sponsors. Most museums have donation boxes in their entrances so that ALL people feel welcome even if they don't have enough money, hence a place for the community. But you actually supported my theory that Crystal Bridges isn't so much a place for the community as it is a place where the more affluent people can congregate without fear of associating with "peasants".

Harsh it may be, but it's hard to make the truth sound nice and sweet in these cases.

Mith, the article Masondad1 linked to said they expect 250,000 visitors annually, with 1/2 of those coming locally.

Again, at currrent NWA numbers that's between 1/3 and 1/4 of the metro area who will visit each year...hmmm

Well it's a museum so admission should be free just like the Walton Arts Center galleries and most museums in the country. Museums usually charge admission for special exhibits and events and also have spaces that can be leased by corporate or individual sponsors. Most museums have donation boxes in their entrances so that ALL people feel welcome even if they don't have enough money, hence a place for the community. But you actually supported my theory that Crystal Bridges isn't so much a place for the community as it is a place where the more affluent people can congregate without fear of associating with "peasants".

Harsh it may be, but it's hard to make the truth sound nice and sweet in these cases.

I could see a larger metro having a museum for free but it would seem harder to do here. Sure the Walton Arts Center is free to see the exhibits but they also don't have some of the great American artwork that will be there at Crystal Bridges. People have to pay to get into aquariums and other activities like that. I guess I just don't see this being that different of a situation.

I could see a larger metro having a museum for free but it would seem harder to do here. Sure the Walton Arts Center is free to see the exhibits but they also don't have some of the great American artwork that will be there at Crystal Bridges. People have to pay to get into aquariums and other activities like that. I guess I just don't see this being that different of a situation.

It's different because all those great American paintings are owned by Crystal Bridges, so why would it cost anything to see them? Like I said though, Crystal Bridges may just be a lure to bring more wealthy people to Bentonville, so I repeat that unlike most museums of this kind in the country, Crystal Bridges will cater to the more affluent half of the population.

It's different because all those great American paintings are owned by Crystal Bridges, so why would it cost anything to see them? Like I said though, Crystal Bridges may just be a lure to bring more wealthy people to Bentonville, so I repeat that unlike most museums of this kind in the country, Crystal Bridges will cater to the more affluent half of the population.

But a fee helps offset operating costs also. I'm not saying Alice Walton doesn't have the money that could pay operating costs and make it free. But I guess it doesn't seem that odd to me that there would be a fee for Crystal Bridges.

But a fee helps offset operating costs also. I'm not saying Alice Walton doesn't have the money that could pay operating costs and make it free. But I guess it doesn't seem that odd to me that there would be a fee for Crystal Bridges.

Crystal Bridges won't be cheap to operate. There will be over 75 full-time employees and well paid directors running the thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they charge high admission just to enter the museum and there will most likely be parking fees. How much community support the museum will receive will be interesting to find out. Like I said, it may be an exclusive museum catering to the more affluent residents, much like the many area golf courses, of which there are more private courses than public.

Crystal Bridges won't be cheap to operate. There will be over 75 full-time employees and well paid directors running the thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they charge high admission just to enter the museum and there will most likely be parking fees. How much community support the museum will receive will be interesting to find out. Like I said, it may be an exclusive museum catering to the more affluent residents, much like the many area golf courses, of which there are more private courses than public.

I think fine arts are a real asset to an area, but an operation that will be that expensive to operate can be difficult to suport in any area less than a major city. I don't know if this area is ready for something like that, but it is a beautiful complex and I wouldn't mind seeing it built.

Mith, the article Masondad1 linked to said they expect 250,000 visitors annually, with 1/2 of those coming locally.

Again, at currrent NWA numbers that's between 1/3 and 1/4 of the metro area who will visit each year...hmmm

A bit of interesting numbers here. The Dayton (OH) Art Institute, one of the nation's finest mid-sized museums, says it attracts over 300,000 visitors annually.

Using a link furnished earlier, it's interesting to note the Nielsen DMA numbers for Dayton, indicating population not only in the metro area but in the surrounding counties which trade with it...513,610 "TV homes", homes containing at least one television set estimated to be in that market. Compare that to the Fort Smith/Fayetteville current DMA estimates of 273,000 TV homes...a bit better than one/half of the Dayton market but not much.

Looking at the numbers:

Dayton, OH Art Institute annual visitors: over 300,000

Crystal Bridges estimated annual visitors: 250,000

--

Dayton OH DMA: 513,610 TV homes

Fort Smith/Fayetteville AR DMA: 273,000 TV homes

--

Let's use the 2000 census numbers to go a bit further

2000 Dayton/Springfield, OH metro area census population: 950,558

2006 estimated NWA metro area population: 410,000

IMO, either someone is expecting a (reason for a) lot of traffic through Bentonville, or they're expecting this metro area to grow quite significantly.

(EDIT: Note also on the map..Dayton/Springfield has at least two of the hubs of Rand McNally's 51 major trading areas two counties away:...Columbus, OH to the east and Cincinnati to the south. Conversely, we have Harrison and Fort Smith...yet they're predicting these numbers for Crystal Bridges.)

IMO, either someone is expecting a (reason for a) lot of traffic through Bentonville, or they're expecting this metro area to grow quite significantly.

It's not that they expect this area to grow that much but they expect Crystal Bridges to bring a lot of visitors from all over the world, especially from New York! :D

All over the world, including New York, eh? And Crystal Bridges, as genuinely wonderful as it is going to be, is going to attract the arts-and-croissants crowd from across the globe all by itself?

As for Tulsa, I thought the same thing (Springfield/Branson, MO, possibly as well) but look at the population difference between the T-town metro area and that of Columbus, Cincinnati, along with Louisville and Cleveland (the next closest major trading centers).

All over the world, including New York, eh? And Crystal Bridges, as genuinely wonderful as it is going to be, is going to attract the arts-and-croissants crowd from across the globe all by itself?

As for Tulsa, I thought the same thing (Springfield/Branson, MO, possibly as well) but look at the population difference between the T-town metro area and that of Columbus, Cincinnati, along with Louisville and Cleveland (the next closest major trading centers).

There's no doubt that art students and collectors from all over the world will visit Crystal Bridges because it will house a permanent exhibit of some of the most prominent American art and it will draw New Yorkers for the simple reason that Alice Walton "stole" the most famous New York painting that had always been housed in New York. Crystal Bridges will also have floating exhibits from the most renowned art museums in the US. It won't be a typical art museum. Crystal Bridges will spur tourist growth in NWA like nothing ever has.

That has been one area I've been a bit surprised NWA hasn't worked on more, attracting more tourists. But I do agree this will certainly help bring in some more.

Actually NWA has been promoting the Walmart Visitors Center for years but noone seems to understand just how important this tourist attraction really is. :rofl:

Actually NWA has been promoting the Walmart Visitors Center for years but noone seems to understand just how important this tourist attraction really is. :rofl:

Yeah, but I guess I was meaning on more of a broader scale than just a particular place. I guess I just would like to see NWA be a place that can also appeal to people wanting more than just a more of a trip/vacation in a natural setting. Don't get me wrong the Ozarks are a great place but sometimes just that alone doesn't appeal enough to bring as many people to the area that I think it could.

Yeah, but I guess I was meaning on more of a broader scale than just a particular place. I guess I just would like to see NWA be a place that can also appeal to people wanting more than just a more of a trip/vacation in a natural setting. Don't get me wrong the Ozarks are a great place but sometimes just that alone doesn't appeal enough to bring as many people to the area that I think it could.

It's hard to build large-scale tourist attractions in an area with this kind of terrain though. An amusement/theme park would be interesting, but where would they build it? I mean, I know anything is possible, look at Silver Dollar City's terrain, but it's really expensive to build like that. Fine arts don't really bring in a whole lot of tourism, at least not in an area this size, so I don't think projects like the Crystal Bridges thing would help much. And we don't have beaches or easily accessible touristy lakes, so we're out of luck on that end of the natural appeal too.

And we don't have beaches or easily accessible touristy lakes, so we're out of luck on that end of the natural appeal too.

If only we could capitalize on Beaver Lake or even some of the lakes in Bella Vista, I'm sure we could get Tourism. Heck, even designate a certain area a "National Park" and we could rake in some more tourism dollars. I think it's primarily the fact that we have never tried capitalizing on Tourism here in NWA, therefore the infastructure is lacking.

It's hard to build large-scale tourist attractions in an area with this kind of terrain though. An amusement/theme park would be interesting, but where would they build it? I mean, I know anything is possible, look at Silver Dollar City's terrain, but it's really expensive to build like that. Fine arts don't really bring in a whole lot of tourism, at least not in an area this size, so I don't think projects like the Crystal Bridges thing would help much. And we don't have beaches or easily accessible touristy lakes, so we're out of luck on that end of the natural appeal too.

We do have Beaver Lake, not sure if you'd consider that a touristy lake. But there are some very nice areas of the Ozarks not too far away from us. Granted they aren't just outside the city limits or anything. But I still think they are close enough tha maybe people might consider stopping by NWA as well if there was more to attract their attention.

We do have Beaver Lake, not sure if you'd consider that a touristy lake. But there are some very nice areas of the Ozarks not too far away from us. Granted they aren't just outside the city limits or anything. But I still think they are close enough tha maybe people might consider stopping by NWA as well if there was more to attract their attention.

Beaver Lake isn't exceptional enough to be a tourist attraction. Hot Springs, Lake Eufala in Oklahoma, Bull Shoals Lake, Greers Ferry Lake in north central Arkansas and Lake Of The Ozarks in Missouri are more popular and offer more recreational amenities than Beaver Lake. Just have to accept that people come to NWA to work or do business, but not for tourism.

Beaver Lake isn't exceptional enough to be a tourist attraction. Hot Springs, Lake Eufala in Oklahoma, Bull Shoals Lake, Greers Ferry Lake in north central Arkansas and Lake Of The Ozarks in Missouri are more popular and offer more recreational amenities than Beaver Lake. Just have to accept that people come to NWA to work or do business, but not for tourism.

I admit I don't know most of those lakes very well But I'm curious what amenities they have. I wonder why there hasn't been more of a move to provide the same type of amenities at Beaver Lake. The only think I can think of offhand is the fact that it's our water supply. But surely some of those other lakes are also water supplies for other cities as well. But this also goes back to the Grandview Heights development. I wouldn't mind seeing some parts of Beaver Lake get developed some so that there are more things to do around the lake.

Archived