Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

Mith242

If I wanted to visit the site of the future Crystal Bridges to learn more about it where would I go? I'm looking for something more than just the website and news articles. I heard a fence went up with children's art on it. Can anyone direct me where to go in Bentonville? Is it best viewed by driving past or is this a park-and-walk adventure?

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I wanted to visit the site of the future Crystal Bridges to learn more about it where would I go? I'm looking for something more than just the website and news articles. I heard a fence went up with children's art on it. Can anyone direct me where to go in Bentonville? Is it best viewed by driving past or is this a park-and-walk adventure?

Directions to the site of the future Crystal Bridges American Art Museum:

From Fayetteville follow I-540 north to Bentonville.

Exit at Hwy 102 and turn left onto Hwy 102.

Follow Hwy 102 west for approx. 1 mile and turn right onto J Street.

Follow J Street north for approx. 1.5 miles to John DeShields Blvd.

The vehicle entrance to Crystal Bridges will be on the left (west) side of J Street at this T-section (J Street/John DeShields Blvd). I believe this is also the site of the fence with the art on it, although I haven't been there to see it for myself.

If you want to get out and walk around you should be allowed to park at the nice church about 800 feet to the north on the left side of J Street. There is also areas to park on John DeShields Blvd as it is the overflow parking area for Memorial Park (approx. half a mile to the east on John DeShields Blvd, if you want to check it out). You won't be able to see anything but a large field and a wooded hill to the west of J Street at this point. Crystal Bridges will be buried deep into that wooded hill and will not be visible from J Street. If you'd like to check out Compton Gardens about 3 blocks north of the Square, that will be the pedestrian entrance to Crystal Bridges. Compton Gardens could give you a feel of what the terrain around Crystal Bridges is like. Let me know if you want info and directions for Compton Gardens?

If you're real curious I could give you detailed directions to hike into the woods where Crystal Bridges will actually sit, but I'm not sure what kind of security they have around there right now? :D

It looks like Cystal Bridges is applying for a conditional use permit (whatever that is) from the Bentonville City Council on Tuesday.

I believe that's a permit that allows the construction crew to start using the city's infrastructure and setting up the site for construction to begin... or it basically allows them to make a big mess of the surrounding neighborhood. :D I'm willing to bet there will be some blasting going on during the initial construction which might not please the neighbors too much.

I wish this wasn't taking so long to build. I want it open sooner! :D

The reuse of native stone and seasoning of timber cut for the project will take some time before it's ready to be used. Safde's vision will be impressive. However, one can't rush the reuse of natural resources. Something more builder's should do.

Nothing like a little ground shake from a blast to start a day.

You ought to have been in Fort Smith in the mid-80s when they used to do something (I have no idea what, perhaps letting off pressure?) to gas wells inside the city limits. You'd hear something that sounded like an F-15 at full throttle with its nose stuck in the ground, and look over to see a big plume of fire with gas well workers around it at a safe distance. That stuff was canned thunder.

As for the Crystal Bridges Museum, they've now got a wall of artwork up near the construction entrance (?) and they've got equipment and lights mounted on telephone poles up near the junction of J and John DeShields Blvd.

You ought to have been in Fort Smith in the mid-80s when they used to do something (I have no idea what, perhaps letting off pressure?) to gas wells inside the city limits. You'd hear something that sounded like an F-15 at full throttle with its nose stuck in the ground, and look over to see a big plume of fire with gas well workers around it at a safe distance. That stuff was canned thunder.

As for the Crystal Bridges Museum, they've now got a wall of artwork up near the construction entrance (?) and they've got equipment and lights mounted on telephone poles up near the junction of J and John DeShields Blvd.

I'll try and stop by this week for some pictures.

Directions to the site of the future Crystal Bridges American Art Museum:

From Fayetteville follow I-540 north to Bentonville.

Exit at Hwy 102 and turn left onto Hwy 102.

Follow Hwy 102 west for approx. 1 mile and turn right onto J Street.

Follow J Street north for approx. 1.5 miles to John DeShields Blvd.

The vehicle entrance to Crystal Bridges will be on the left (west) side of J Street at this T-section (J Street/John DeShields Blvd). I believe this is also the site of the fence with the art on it, although I haven't been there to see it for myself.

If you want to get out and walk around you should be allowed to park at the nice church about 800 feet to the north on the left side of J Street. There is also areas to park on John DeShields Blvd as it is the overflow parking area for Memorial Park (approx. half a mile to the east on John DeShields Blvd, if you want to check it out). You won't be able to see anything but a large field and a wooded hill to the west of J Street at this point. Crystal Bridges will be buried deep into that wooded hill and will not be visible from J Street. If you'd like to check out Compton Gardens about 3 blocks north of the Square, that will be the pedestrian entrance to Crystal Bridges. Compton Gardens could give you a feel of what the terrain around Crystal Bridges is like. Let me know if you want info and directions for Compton Gardens?

If you're real curious I could give you detailed directions to hike into the woods where Crystal Bridges will actually sit, but I'm not sure what kind of security they have around there right now? :D

I don't mean to be a butt and the like, but J street is not just J street. There is more than one J street in Bentonville. NE J ST, SE J St, NW J St all exist and all have different addressing numbers. The continous stretch most people consider to be "J" is NE and SE J St... That causes a lot of people confusion.

Bentonville has quadrants and the addressing is different in each quadrant for the most part.

I don't mean to be a butt and the like, but J street is not just J street. There is more than one J street in Bentonville. NE J ST, SE J St, NW J St all exist and all have different addressing numbers. The continous stretch most people consider to be "J" is NE and SE J St... That causes a lot of people confusion.

Bentonville has quadrants and the addressing is different in each quadrant for the most part.

I didn't want to confuse anyone with quadrants. If you're going west on Hwy 102 you turn right on J Street. It doesn't matter which J Street because there's only one intersecting with Hwy 102 on that side of Bentonville. My advice to anyone needing directions in Bentonville is don't make a wrong turn or you're screwed! :lol:

While we're discussing double standards regarding Arkansas and artwork, I'd add I doubt anyone would have a problem with a mural of all black children in a church in an area like say, Atlanta, would they?

Probably wouldn't even notice. Nope.

yeah, it's interesting. black people don't get much attention. katrina showed us that.

Sorry Masons Dad, I know I really sound like the hind end of a donkey. If you knew my line of work you'd understand why it bothers me so much when someone just says J st.

Its not just Moberly Ln or Hwy 102 for that matter either, but anyways...

I'm sorry I don't want it to seem like I'm picking on you, you'd understand if you were in my shoes.

By the way, if anyone wants to get a good look at the construction head out NE A St towards the sewer plant and look back once you get to the bottom of the big hill...

Sorry Masons Dad, I know I really sound like the hind end of a donkey. If you knew my line of work you'd understand why it bothers me so much when someone just says J st.

Its not just Moberly Ln or Hwy 102 for that matter either, but anyways...

I'm sorry I don't want it to seem like I'm picking on you, you'd understand if you were in my shoes.

By the way, if anyone wants to get a good look at the construction head out NE A St towards the sewer plant and look back once you get to the bottom of the big hill...

It's all good. :D I was just using compass directions instead map directions. But I do access the Bentonville GIS as well as the other various city's GIS systems for detailed infrastructure information. I am spoilt to cities with a normal grid structure, but I get around pretty well in NWA. But I can understand if in your line of work (Police, Firefighter, EMT, City Works) that you would need specific street names when out on a call.

Oh I forgot Taxi Driver, because I know that would be infuritating if a fare got in and said "take me to 2200 J Street." :lol:

btw... that is a great idea about going up toward the sewer plant as it affords a great view of downtown Bentonville.

The reuse of native stone and seasoning of timber cut for the project will take some time before it's ready to be used. Safde's vision will be impressive. However, one can't rush the reuse of natural resources. Something more builder's should do.

True, I guess I wish they had just started sooner though.

Does it really use the quadrants very much? I've been in some bigger cities that did something like that to help distinguish one area from another. But not sure I've heard of it being used quite so much in a smaller city.

True, I guess I wish they had just started sooner though.

Does it really use the quadrants very much? I've been in some bigger cities that did something like that to help distinguish one area from another. But not sure I've heard of it being used quite so much in a smaller city.

Rogers has it as well. There's some parts that are say N. 16th street and others that are S. 16th street. It's a real pain.

Indeed.

That's why I mentioned the John DeShields junction, as I didn't think the other "J" streets intersected with that.

Someone probably has already posted this information but I was too lazy to read the entire forum to find out. I do remember someone had mentioned a little about the Philadelphia group mentioned below. There was a small blurb in the nwanews.com site (in the newspaper) about the Crystal Bridges museum and Kevin Bacon (Crystal Bridges Blurb. I do remember someone had mentioned a little about the Philadelphia group mentioned below. Here it is:

"Kevin Bacon, 48, who has starred in such films as Footloose and Apollo 13, has joined a group fighting to keep a Philadelphia hospital from selling Thomas Eakins

Someone probably has already posted this information but I was too lazy to read the entire forum to find out. I do remember someone had mentioned a little about the Philadelphia group mentioned below. There was a small blurb in the nwanews.com site (in the newspaper) about the Crystal Bridges museum and Kevin Bacon (Crystal Bridges Blurb. I do remember someone had mentioned a little about the Philadelphia group mentioned below. Here it is:

"Kevin Bacon, 48, who has starred in such films as Footloose and Apollo 13, has joined a group fighting to keep a Philadelphia hospital from selling Thomas Eakins

I was reading something and apparently the painting was created in Philadelphia of something in Philadelphia. So I'd say its pretty important to their local history. I can see why they want to keep it there. Its there now why should it leave?

Imagine if they sold off some of the exhibits in the Old State House to someone in New York. I'd definitely be mad.

I was reading something and apparently the painting was created in Philadelphia of something in Philadelphia. So I'd say its pretty important to their local history. I can see why they want to keep it there. Its there now why should it leave?

Imagine if they sold off some of the exhibits in the Old State House to someone in New York. I'd definitely be mad.

Maybe Kevin Bacon should go footloose about it and buy it himself and keep it there since it seems the benefactors are into the amount of money they'll get.

Maybe Kevin Bacon should go footloose about it and buy it himself and keep it there since it seems the benefactors are into the amount of money they'll get.

Exactly, maybe some of these people should have been willing to spend a little money before they sold it to Alice Walton. Maybe it is just them wanting to keep a peice of artwork there in the city. But it still seems to me that some people have more of a problem with it as soon as they find out it's going to Arkansas and not some place like NYC or LA.

Just to let everyone know. This project is going to take a while because it is registered as a LEED project. Depending on the level of certification they are pursuing. Some of the prep work on the project will require some planning. This is greenfield they are building on plus there could be some habitats in there that they will have to ensure they are not damaging. Lots of prep work to be done before blasting can start. Also, be careful about attempting to drive down there. One of the sections on Site Selection for LEED 2.2 Platinum requires minimal traffic. They may have to provide parking elsewhere. Walking however should be okay for now unless it becomes heavy pedestrian traffic trampling through construction zones and throwing trash down everywhere. You might have problems with security then. But I still wouldn't go walking around down there. It is a construction zone.

Just to let everyone know. This project is going to take a while because it is registered as a LEED project. Depending on the level of certification they are pursuing. Some of the prep work on the project will require some planning. This is greenfield they are building on plus there could be some habitats in there that they will have to ensure they are not damaging. Lots of prep work to be done before blasting can start. Also, be careful about attempting to drive down there. One of the sections on Site Selection for LEED 2.2 Platinum requires minimal traffic. They may have to provide parking elsewhere. Walking however should be okay for now unless it becomes heavy pedestrian traffic trampling through construction zones and throwing trash down everywhere. You might have problems with security then. But I still wouldn't go walking around down there. It is a construction zone.

Weird, the Fayetteville Public Library didn't seem to take long to be constructed although the LEED certification did take a really long time to get though.

Archived