Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

Mith242

Just to let everyone know. This project is going to take a while because it is registered as a LEED project. Depending on the level of certification they are pursuing. Some of the prep work on the project will require some planning. This is greenfield they are building on plus there could be some habitats in there that they will have to ensure they are not damaging. Lots of prep work to be done before blasting can start. Also, be careful about attempting to drive down there. One of the sections on Site Selection for LEED 2.2 Platinum requires minimal traffic. They may have to provide parking elsewhere. Walking however should be okay for now unless it becomes heavy pedestrian traffic trampling through construction zones and throwing trash down everywhere. You might have problems with security then. But I still wouldn't go walking around down there. It is a construction zone.

Just an additional note. LEED Platinum doesn't require specific things but when you gain points for different aspects of sustainable construction you don't want to lose your options should some other category fall through. LEED Platinum carries a lot of weight for a non-profit museum. The press around that could draw lots of donors not to mention the ability it could allay the fears of those thinking we are just going to put that painting in some shack out behind Alice's house.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an additional note. LEED Platinum doesn't require specific things but when you gain points for different aspects of sustainable construction you don't want to lose your options should some other category fall through. LEED Platinum carries a lot of weight for a non-profit museum. The press around that could draw lots of donors not to mention the ability it could allay the fears of those thinking we are just going to put that painting in some shack out behind Alice's house.

Good point.

Weird, the Fayetteville Public Library didn't seem to take long to be constructed although the LEED certification did take a really long time to get though.

Yes, but they were making reuse of existing urban land, not blazing a path through an urban greenspace. You have to be a lot more cautious.

It looks like the Gross Clinic painting will not be making it's way to Crystal Bridges, according to Philadelphia's mayor. Two Philadelphai Art museums have secured enough money to keep the painting in the city of Philadelphia. In a way it's a bummer b/c I would have liked to see this painting here, but I'm glad it will stay in Philadelphia since it's such a large part of the city's culture.

It looks like the Gross Clinic painting will not be making it's way to Crystal Bridges, according to Philadelphia's mayor. Two Philadelphai Art museums have secured enough money to keep the painting in the city of Philadelphia. In a way it's a bummer b/c I would have liked to see this painting here, but I'm glad it will stay in Philadelphia since it's such a large part of the city's culture.

It's too bad the medical students at the school it was hanging at don't really care about the painting. Personally I'm glad it's staying there. I don't really care for it myself. I'd rather see historically significant American paintings in Crystal Bridges than a generic painting about some surgery.

It's too bad the medical students at the school it was hanging at don't really care about the painting. Personally I'm glad it's staying there. I don't really care for it myself. I'd rather see historically significant American paintings in Crystal Bridges than a generic painting about some surgery.

Well, that $68 million will apparently go a long way to adding a pharmacy school and finish paying off a new hospital. As far as priorities are going I don't blame the school for selling the painting when it had that much of a financial impact for the institution.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's some generic painting or else there's no way Alice Walton would spend so much on it or they'd make such a big effort to keep it there. It may not be to your linking but that doesn't mean it's not an important painting. I doubt any art museum will have nothing but artwork you may personally like. But maybe one of the ideas of art museums is to expose people to other artwork.

Directions to the site of the future Crystal Bridges American Art Museum:

From Fayetteville follow I-540 north to Bentonville.

Exit at Hwy 102 and turn left onto Hwy 102.

Follow Hwy 102 west for approx. 1 mile and turn right onto J Street.

Follow J Street north for approx. 1.5 miles to John DeShields Blvd.

The vehicle entrance to Crystal Bridges will be on the left (west) side of J Street at this T-section (J Street/John DeShields Blvd). I believe this is also the site of the fence with the art on it, although I haven't been there to see it for myself.

If you want to get out and walk around you should be allowed to park at the nice church about 800 feet to the north on the left side of J Street. There is also areas to park on John DeShields Blvd as it is the overflow parking area for Memorial Park (approx. half a mile to the east on John DeShields Blvd, if you want to check it out). You won't be able to see anything but a large field and a wooded hill to the west of J Street at this point. Crystal Bridges will be buried deep into that wooded hill and will not be visible from J Street. If you'd like to check out Compton Gardens about 3 blocks north of the Square, that will be the pedestrian entrance to Crystal Bridges. Compton Gardens could give you a feel of what the terrain around Crystal Bridges is like. Let me know if you want info and directions for Compton Gardens?

If you're real curious I could give you detailed directions to hike into the woods where Crystal Bridges will actually sit, but I'm not sure what kind of security they have around there right now? :D

Thanks-- good directions. I found Compton Gardens as I drove the streets on the periphery of this area. From the west neighborhoods you can see red dirt and equipment at the museum site through the trees. (If I had better shoes on I would have attempted to hike the woods since there was very little activity Friday afternoon.)

I don't think it's some generic painting or else there's no way Alice Walton would spend so much on it or they'd make such a big effort to keep it there. It may not be to your linking but that doesn't mean it's not an important painting. I doubt any art museum will have nothing but artwork you may personally like. But maybe one of the ideas of art museums is to expose people to other artwork.

I didn't mean it as an insult, but a painting about a medical procedure isn't as historically significant as many of the other, less expensive, paintings that will be featured at Crystal Bridges. The article I read stated that students at the medical school where it's displayed don't even care for the painting. It must not be that important. I think they want to keep it because if someone is willing to pay such an insane amount of money for it then it must be important.

• 1 month later...

The future's looking bright for the Crystal Bridges Museum, even without "The Gross Clinic":

"They say money can't buy happiness, and in this case, Alice Walton's money couldn't buy the Thomas Eakins painting "The Gross Clinic" either.

"It is one of the greatest works of art produced in America, and our goal is to assemble the best collection we can, so its loss to our collection is significant," says Bob Workman, executive director of the Walton-funded Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art. "However, one painting does not a museum make, and there are many, many other exciting, important works of art that will be part of our museum when we open..."

"Workman knows Crystal Bridges will be the big kid on the block, but he wants to be sure the museums that already exist in Northwest Arkansas don't get left behind.

"As well as developing some innovative partnerships at a national level, it's important that we work hand in glove with our sister institutions in this region," he says."

The Shiloh Museum in Springdale is just as excited about the future:

"At the Shiloh Museum of Ozark History in Springdale, director Allyn Lord is looking toward the future, too. The board and staff just completed a five-year strategic plan that includes a new focus on the museum's identity and professional standing.

"We are the only regional history museum in Northwest Arkansas -- and we take that responsibility very seriously," says Lord, who took over the helm in 2005. "We want people to come and see that bigger perspective here."

To that end, the museum [shiloh Museum] staff will seek accreditation from the American Association of Museums, a process that gauges whether the institution is "meeting or exceeding the standards in its field," Lord explains..."

"That might mean new exhibits, new educational services, more emphasis on the museum as a research resource, upgrades of the buildings and grounds -- or all of the above, Lord says..."

"There is one thing Lord doesn't expect to change. The museum is located on the site of the original Shiloh community -- "the original town square," as Lord calls it -- and while growth in a limited space can be a challenge, she doesn't expect a move away from downtown Springdale. The museum just acquired the IOOF Hall in 2006 -- now officially the Shiloh Meeting Hall -- and its renovation will be the next "big-ticket item."

"A lot of people think of history museums as dull, boring and dusty," Lord admits. "We've got to work on that and do a better job of generating excitement about local history.""

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/01/...1907museums.txt

• 2 weeks later...

I read a thoughtful article in the Fayetteville Free Weekly about the Crystal Bridges Museum. Entitled "Are We Not Worthy?," the article makes the observation that Crystal Bridges may be out of league for most of Northwest Arkansas. I have to admit that after reading the article I have my doubts that Crystal Bridges will be as popular as some think. It may just sit in the woods with a passerby or two happening along once in a while. I expect that if admission is free it may draw more families looking for a cheap place to get out of the house. These kinds of places seem to draw quite a few more lower-income people than upper class. Most likely the museum will need to charge admission just to attract upper class people who don't want to be seen hanging out with peasants. I for one will take my family to Crystal Bridges when and if it opens, and if it's free we may visit more than once a year.

Here's an excerpt from the Free Weekly article:

"According to comments left on The Morning News website shortly after the announcement that the painting would not be coming to NWA, there seemed to be little concern over not having

I read a thoughtful article in the Fayetteville Free Weekly about the Crystal Bridges Museum. Entitled "Are We Not Worthy?," the article makes the observation that Crystal Bridges may be out of league for most of Northwest Arkansas. I have to admit that after reading the article I have my doubts that Crystal Bridges will be as popular as some think. It may just sit in the woods with a passerby or two happening along once in a while. I expect that if admission is free it may draw more families looking for a cheap place to get out of the house. These kinds of places seem to draw quite a few more lower-income people than upper class. Most likely the museum will need to charge admission just to attract upper class people who don't want to be seen hanging out with peasants. I for one will take my family to Crystal Bridges when and if it opens, and if it's free we may visit more than once a year.

Here's an excerpt from the Free Weekly article:

"According to comments left on The Morning News website shortly after the announcement that the painting would not be coming to NWA, there seemed to be little concern over not having

Odd that today I visited The Ivory Palace of Bentonville, a new piano gallery/music studio on the road to Centerton near the Benton County Detention Center (their web site, IMO, doesn't do this place justice although they will surely expand into more "palatial" quarters if their business takes off).

I'd been going to put this in the "Rogers will become the region's design center?" thread, but it's appropriate here. The Ivory Palace owner said he and his wife lived in Springfield, MO for about a decade after college then spent an equal amount of time in Kansas City.

He said that he and his wife decided to locate their business here because they believe this city (Bentonville) is going to become a much more significant center for the arts, and that they believe that with the Museum and other things there will be more of a demand for services and products like they offer.

He said that

There are a lot of people like these moving here from more arts oriented cities, not because this region is a potential arts region, but because they're tired of the big cities they came from. They move here because it's a nice, safe place to live and work, with little beyond that to offer. They move here with hopes that this region will pick up a lot of the amenities they left behind, but they also hope the negative aspects of those big cities don't follow. But, it's unrealistic to believe only the good life will follow without the problems of crime, traffic and pollution following close behind. I've lived in big cities and I actually like big city life. Fortunately, I don't have to move because the big city life will be coming to me. Let's hope more people from big cities keep moving here and bringing the "good life" with them.

I can't say I agree with that article. First of all maybe it should be pointed out that of course there's not a huge hanging interest in Crystal Bridges by a lot of people because it's not going to be open for a few more years. Once it gets closer to opening day I really believe more people will start taking a bigger interest. I also don't think it's going to only appeal to only one class of people either. Upper income people aren't going to avoid it because they don't want to be seen around 'the peasants' as you call them.

On some of the other notes, yes some people are coming here to escape bigger cities. But I also think a lot are coming to further their careers with Wal-mart. I think a lot know coming here is the best things for moving up in their career. I also think many of those people are waiting for something like this because they miss the amenities the bigger cities have.

I can't say I agree with that article. First of all maybe it should be pointed out that of course there's not a huge hanging interest in Crystal Bridges by a lot of people because it's not going to be open for a few more years. Once it gets closer to opening day I really believe more people will start taking a bigger interest. I also don't think it's going to only appeal to only one class of people either. Upper income people aren't going to avoid it because they don't want to be seen around 'the peasants' as you call them.

On some of the other notes, yes some people are coming here to escape bigger cities. But I also think a lot are coming to further their careers with Wal-mart. I think a lot know coming here is the best things for moving up in their career. I also think many of those people are waiting for something like this because they miss the amenities the bigger cities have.

I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of high admission "exclusive" events at the museum to attract upper class residents. We are talking about a high-caliber museum that most low-income people will only view more as a nice place to take the family and not so much for the art. My words may seem harsh, but their is a HUGE class seperation in this country that doesn't exist quite as profoundly on many other cultured countries. In many ways the term "peasants" is the most relevant when regarding the difference between the wealthy and the poor in this country. But, I do hope Crystal Bridges will live up to it's mission statement of "bridging" the gap between the rich and the poor (ie. the cultured and the uncultured).

I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of high admission "exclusive" events at the museum to attract upper class residents. We are talking about a high-caliber museum that most low-income people will only view more as a nice place to take the family and not so much for the art. My words may seem harsh, but their is a HUGE class seperation in this country that doesn't exist quite as profoundly on many other cultured countries. In many ways the term "peasants" is the most relevant when regarding the difference between the wealthy and the poor in this country. But, I do hope Crystal Bridges will live up to it's mission statement of "bridging" the gap between the rich and the poor (ie. the cultured and the uncultured).

I'm not saying your words are harsh. I just don't share your viewpoints on the classes and such. Yes this country is different from other 'cultured' countries. But if we're talking about Europe I think we'll see them start more of a decline as they realize they can't keep living in a style they wanted. Today's generation is already losing some of the benefits they're parents had in numerous European countries. I don't mean to get this topic off on a tangent. But anyway what I'm saying is I just don't see this facility being a chasm between the classes and such. I don't see any reason why people of all classes won't enjoy this facility.

I'm not saying your words are harsh. I just don't share your viewpoints on the classes and such. Yes this country is different from other 'cultured' countries. But if we're talking about Europe I think we'll see them start more of a decline as they realize they can't keep living in a style they wanted. Today's generation is already losing some of the benefits they're parents had in numerous European countries. I don't mean to get this topic off on a tangent. But anyway what I'm saying is I just don't see this facility being a chasm between the classes and such. I don't see any reason why people of all classes won't enjoy this facility.

Yes, European countries see the same demise in our country that we see in their's since our country's generations have been losing those same benefits for a much longer time. But, it's too easy for many of these topics to fall into political debate and, like you, I hope this museum will benefit all classes in this region, no matter how far the chasm lies between them.

• 3 weeks later...

Crystal Bridges will be opening a temporary exhibit space in the downtown Bentonville Massey Buildiing June 16th.

From the Arkansas Business Journal article...

http://arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?l...08.29745.109334

The exhibit space will open on Saturday, June 16 as a part of ArtWalk, a celebration of the arts in northwest Arkansas.

The new facility will feature two exhibit spaces and a large meeting room.

One part of the space will present information about construction of the museum's permanent facility. It will include models, renderings and photographs. A second exhibit space will incorporate a 900-SF gallery detailing the museum's educational programs and permanent collection

Crystal Bridges will be opening a temporary exhibit space in the downtown Bentonville Massey Buildiing June 16th.

From the Arkansas Business Journal article...

http://arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?l...08.29745.109334

The exhibit space will open on Saturday, June 16 as a part of ArtWalk, a celebration of the arts in northwest Arkansas.

The new facility will feature two exhibit spaces and a large meeting room.

One part of the space will present information about construction of the museum's permanent facility. It will include models, renderings and photographs. A second exhibit space will incorporate a 900-SF gallery detailing the museum's educational programs and permanent collection

Thanks for the info Thia. I'll have to check that out this summer. Hopefully I'll be able to take pics of the area that has the renderings and such. I'll have to try to get some pics and post them on here.

Archived