Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

Mith242

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We don't want to cut down trees. We want to protect trees."

Plus, two of the buildings at Crystal Bridges will actually be...bridges.

This project sounds "cooler" all the time, and while I'm not an environmentalist I like both their forest plans and how they tie into the "sustainability capital of America" plans we see for this metro area.

Thanks for that link and info Kurt. I admit I had wondered about those parts of the museum being so close to the water. Anyway probably better to be safe about it. Don't know if I recall hearing anything about a possible future trolley either. Can't wait till this is open.

Thanks for that link and info Kurt. I admit I had wondered about those parts of the museum being so close to the water. Anyway probably better to be safe about it. Don't know if I recall hearing anything about a possible future trolley either. Can't wait till this is open.

Mith, I hadn't heard anything about a trolley, either, until this.

What would possibly be cool about THIS trolley system (if it links to downtown Bentonville) is that it would most likely go through a moderately to heavily wooded area between downtown and Crystal Bridges...that would be a neat ride if they landscaped the trackage rights with the same care as the museum would have....perhaps they could have a parallel walking trail.

Wow...this is going to be fascinating.

Mith, I hadn't heard anything about a trolley, either, until this.

What would possibly be cool about THIS trolley system (if it links to downtown Bentonville) is that it would most likely go through a moderately to heavily wooded area between downtown and Crystal Bridges...that would be a neat ride if they landscaped the trackage rights with the same care as the museum would have....perhaps they could have a parallel walking trail.

Wow...this is going to be fascinating.

I'm not sure what else there is of interest in the area. But it would be interesting to see a more extended trolley system. Something that did more than just link Crystal Bridges and the Bentonville Square.

I'm not sure what else there is of interest in the area. But it would be interesting to see a more extended trolley system. Something that did more than just link Crystal Bridges and the Bentonville Square.

Mith, it would be nice but difficult.

The route between CBM and the B'ville square (and the Wal-Mart museum, one Walton creation to another) would traverse (most likely) lightly traveled roads that are mainly residential...it would run SW to NE. Any other route that goes most any other direction is going to cross W. Central, W. 2nd St and A St...heavy work (Wal-Mart) and school routes. Unlike in NLR (where there was room to put the trolley rail to the side of some though not all of the streets it parallels) or FSM (largely off the main roads) it's not going to be easy to lay out routes for a trolley I would think with Bentonville's 2-lane, non-center laned streets. The CBM route would cross a lot of wooded area (there's a park of some sort around there) that in comparison to much of Bentonville and urban NWA doesn't have extremely heavy traffic, so they could make this happen.

Mith, it would be nice but difficult.

The route between CBM and the B'ville square (and the Wal-Mart museum, one Walton creation to another) would traverse (most likely) lightly traveled roads that are mainly residential...it would run SW to NE. Any other route that goes most any other direction is going to cross W. Central, W. 2nd St and A St...heavy work (Wal-Mart) and school routes. Unlike in NLR (where there was room to put the trolley rail to the side of some though not all of the streets it parallels) or FSM (largely off the main roads) it's not going to be easy to lay out routes for a trolley I would think with Bentonville's 2-lane, non-center laned streets. The CBM route would cross a lot of wooded area (there's a park of some sort around there) that in comparison to much of Bentonville and urban NWA doesn't have extremely heavy traffic, so they could make this happen.

Good point. I had forgotten the Square was basically surrounded by residential areas. I'm also not sure if there's anything else that's within short distance that's of interest.

You are correct, Rod, there is not much of interest in downtown Bentonville other than the Square and Crystal Bridges; Compton Gardens and Memorial Park are of only marginal interest since they're hardly even known to downtown residents. The "trolley" has been mentioned several times by Bentonville officials over the past couple years and is covered in the Bentonville Master Plan. I doubt they're considering a railed trolley system, but more like the modern trolleys found in a lot of cities that are actually buses designed to look like trolleys.

Excerpt from the Bentonville Master Plan:

Establish a Trolley Route

When trolleys were first introduced, they offered another means of transportation aside from horse and buggy. Trolley systems expanded greatly during the time between 1890 and World War I. But when the automobile became inexpensive for individuals to own, the freedom was more desirable than mass transportation. Today, trolleys are making a comeback as forms of public transit, as well as for the nostalgia factor.

The trolley concept is perfect for Bentonville. With thousands of employees in the downtown area, a quick method of transportation can get them to restaurants and shops over the lunch hour, without having to travel by car. Main Street Bentonville is in the process of researching the potential for a trolley. A route that incorporates the Wal-Mart/Sam

You are correct, Rod, there is not much of interest in downtown Bentonville other than the Square and Crystal Bridges; Compton Gardens and Memorial Park are of only marginal interest since they're hardly even known to downtown residents. The "trolley" has been mentioned several times by Bentonville officials over the past couple years and is covered in the Bentonville Master Plan. I doubt they're considering a railed trolley system, but more like the modern trolleys found in a lot of cities that are actually buses designed to look like trolleys.

Yeah, an actual railed trolley is more expensive to set up. Eureka Springs has the bus 'trolleys' as well. Little Rock/North Little Rock and Ft Smith are the only Arkansas cities that I know of that have the actually trolleys.

Finally, some good news.

It's official...CBM and Fisk University will share the Georgia O'Keefe collection the latter has had. That looks like some significant artwork from a very recognizable name.

Thanks for that update Kurt. I've been waiting for that to become official. I can't wait till they update the Crystal Bridges website so we can see get a glimpse at some of that collection.

• 1 month later...

Some bad news from this project.

Trouble with excavation is pushing the opening date from 2009 to 2010.

http://arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?a...88.78437.112629

And this is a surprise? 90% of the developments in NWA have either been cancelled, scaled down or pushed back until a later date. At least Crystal Bridges hasn't been cancelled or scaled down yet.

Oh yeah I forgot, I heard some news while I was out in New Mexico. Sorta weird seeing things reported from their perspective. Anyway sounds like the museum in New Mexico isn't going to let things drop and is going to keep fighting that decision on the Stieglitz Collection.

Oh yeah I forgot, I heard some news while I was out in New Mexico. Sorta weird seeing things reported from their perspective. Anyway sounds like the museum in New Mexico isn't going to let things drop and is going to keep fighting that decision on the Stiegler Collection.

Looks like they've still got a couple more years to fight over it. Maybe longer at the rate things are going around here.

• 3 weeks later...

Weird thing to see in Bentonville #2:

Squarely in what must be the main part of the future CBMoAA, there now stands:

- A big blue construction derrick, which looks 1/3 to 1/2 as tall as the one in downtown Fayetteville, and;

- What appears to be a large steamshovel - a bit smaller than what one would see at a strip mine (then again, I'm seeing this above the forest east of "J" Street and John DeShields Ave rather than close up - these things looked 1/2-3/4 of a mile away at least) but large nonetheless. Perhaps its another, smaller crane but it looks more like a big shovel.

Maybe the opening's been delayed but the project is obviously being taken quite seriously.

I forgot to mention it but I saw a mention of Crystal Bridges in an editorial a little while back. I think it was originally in one of the Benton County newspapers. But it mentioned how in other areas of the country Alice Walton is being portrayed a bit of a 'vulture' collecting future artwork for the art museum. It also mentioned that it was odd that so many people elsewhere seem to somehow find offense to the whole situation. I know it's been mentioned on here before. But it really seems people are 'bothered' of a lot of this artwork being gathered to be displayed here. Not sure if it's the idea of the Ozarks or it being Arkansas or what. But it really sounds like if this was happening some other location in the country there wouldn't be any problems with it.

I forgot to mention it but I saw a mention of Crystal Bridges in an editorial a little while back. I think it was originally in one of the Benton County newspapers. But it mentioned how in other areas of the country Alice Walton is being portrayed a bit of a 'vulture' collecting future artwork for the art museum. It also mentioned that it was odd that so many people elsewhere seem to somehow find offense to the whole situation. I know it's been mentioned on here before. But it really seems people are 'bothered' of a lot of this artwork being gathered to be displayed here. Not sure if it's the idea of the Ozarks or it being Arkansas or what. But it really sounds like if this was happening some other location in the country there wouldn't be any problems with it.

Mith, just guessing here, but if Alice wasn't a Wal-Mart heiress there mightn't be much made of this. And yes, this museum being squarely in "flyover country" (as in where one "flies over" to get between New York and California) probably sticks in some peoples' craws as well.

BTW, on those aforementioned construction derricks...when they're lit up at night it now looks as though a series of haphazardly arranged radio towers with red blinking lights have popped up where the construction site is. Don't know how long they'll be there but they're going to be a dominant point for awhile when one drives I-540 past Bentonville, particularly on the stretch just south of Bella Vista.

Mith, just guessing here, but if Alice wasn't a Wal-Mart heiress there mightn't be much made of this. And yes, this museum being squarely in "flyover country" (as in where one "flies over" to get between New York and California) probably sticks in some peoples' craws as well.

Good point, I hadn't considered some people forming their opinion because it's a Walton. But I guess it still shows this area, whether it be Arkansas or the Ozarks still has a bit of a stigma. At least to some people in other parts of the country.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been forgetting to mention this. But the fight over the Stieglitz Collection isn't over. A Tennessee judge has said he doesn't think it's in their best interest to 'sell' half of it for that price. Sounds like this could go on for a while. Maybe they can resolve the matter before the museum opens since we have a while before opening.

• 4 weeks later...

I just hope Crystal Bridges doesn't become another Thomas Kinkade gallery full of what they call chocolate box art.

I don't think it's going to head that direction. From what I've seen so far they seem to be going to going after good 'American' artworks.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Stieglitz Collection could be tied up in courts for quite a while. There's some people in Tennessee trying to keep the art in Tennessee. There's people still trying to get the collection over to the Georgia O'Keefe Museum in New Mexico. It's turned into a really big mess. But the museum still seems to be slowly accumulating art. I read something recently that made it sound like they might be going after some more modern pieces of American art.

Archived