Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

Mith242

Still, they could have used the money for better uses. The church costed at least $30 million, think about where the money could have been used in NWA to help others. There's people and children starving and dying because they don't have any aid.

Matt, in order to keep this forum proper (and keep this out of the "Coffee House") I'm not going to make any further replies after this one. You have my word on this, sir.

But I respectfully disagree with you, too.

I was literally dancing in my church this past Sunday over what happened that I described. (My family, my precious wife and children, were directly affected by this man through his equally emotionally abusive/neglectful son.) Minutes ago, after making my prior post, our assistant store manager was in tears over a miracle she learned today totally unrelated to this, and it, too, directly and indisputably has the same Divine source. And I'll say again, there are many other people spiritually starving for whom $1 trillion on a platinum platter would do no good. (And I'm sure that there are literally tons of aid going out from CPH/First Baptist-Springdale to the poor in this community and worldwide.)

And some who formerly were such are now are equally glad that there are three big crosses smack dab in the middle of this incredible gift of prosperity known as northwest Arkansas as reminders of what's, no, "Who's" truly, eternally important.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Masons, you're a great guy and I deeply appreciate your posts, but I disagree about the church of Pinnacle Hills, or at least the building (and 3 crosses) for same.

I've never been so glad to see three crosses placed on any modern-day location in my life. Seriously. And if this were the proper venue for it, I'd tell an incredible story of last week about the funeral of a man (who has a stepson who pastors a church in south Rogers, not Pinnacle) who was for most of his life a monster, with three separate families who until 2 years ago hated him and openly said so at his funeral in NWA last week. What happened 2 years ago? He accepted Christ as Lord of his life and became a changed man. I'm very much a capitalist, a free market, conservative republican guy...but no amount of money, American freedom, earthly pleasure, etc. that anything else in the Pinnacle Hills area offers could have delivered this man from monstrosity like Christ did, and have three separate families who lived nearly 5 decades of pain not only testify to that fact but also unify around Him. And there are a lot of people in NWA and elsewhere hungering for the eternal peace this man found. If only 1 of them is lead to question: "What are these big white crosses all about?" and finds Christ like this monster/precious child did, it will be worth it.

Those three crosses at PH are, IMO, some of the most well-spent money ever in northwest Arkansas.

I totally agree about those three crosses and I was actually upset when driving I-540 northbound into Pinnacle Hills that my view of the crosses was obstructed by a 150' tornado warning pole. They need to move that pole!!! My gripe is with the $30 Million church building that includes a 1500 sq-ft window, 1200 leather (?) armchairs and 8 plasma screens. It seems excessive when a good chunk of that money could have gone toward missionary work or community outreach. It's just not my kind of church, but I'm sure thousands will find it to their liking. But, who knows, maybe I'll trade in my worn-out sneakers for a pair of Gucci's.

Still, they could have used the money for better uses. The church costed at least $30 million, think about where the money could have been used in NWA to help others. There's people and children starving and dying because they don't have any aid.

Matt, I think what KJW is reffering to by "tons of aid going out from CPH/First Baptist-Springdale to the poor in this community and worldwide" is as follows:

NWA Mission: Thousands of

Masons, you're a great guy and I deeply appreciate your posts, but I disagree about the church of Pinnacle Hills, or at least the building (and 3 crosses) for same.

I've never been so glad to see three crosses placed on any modern-day location in my life. Seriously. And if this were the proper venue for it, I'd tell an incredible story of last week about the funeral of a man (who has a stepson who pastors a church in south Rogers, not Pinnacle) who was for most of his life a monster, with three separate families who until 2 years ago hated him and openly said so at his funeral in NWA last week. What happened 2 years ago? He accepted Christ as Lord of his life and became a changed man. I'm very much a capitalist, a free market, conservative republican guy...but no amount of money, American freedom, earthly pleasure, etc. that anything else in the Pinnacle Hills area offers could have delivered this man from monstrosity like Christ did, and have three separate families who lived nearly 5 decades of pain not only testify to that fact but also unify around Him. And there are a lot of people in NWA and elsewhere hungering for the eternal peace this man found. If only 1 of them is lead to question: "What are these big white crosses all about?" and finds Christ like this monster/precious child did, it will be worth it.

Those three crosses at PH are, IMO, some of the most well-spent money ever in northwest Arkansas.

funny how you prefaced your story with "if this were the proper venue... i'd tell" and then commenced to tell the story. interesting use of language. follow this link if you care what those crosses make me think of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXh-nCAsrd4...%20conservative

i like the museum, though. we need more of them.

funny how you prefaced your story with "if this were the proper venue... i'd tell" and then commenced to tell the story. interesting use of language. follow this link if you care what those crosses make me think of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXh-nCAsrd4...%20conservative

i like the museum, though. we need more of them.

Jiggy,

By "telling" what happened the way it should be told, I'd probably end up creating a response 2-4 feet or longer on this thread...and it would be worth it. :yahoo:

I disagree with the church being there. Its located in Pinnacle for a reason, money and access to money. I think that is a poor reason, much like I disagree with the relocation of Immanuel Baptist in LR. I believe churches by nature should be somewhat of a community center. They have a responsibility to be a part of the community. The location of the church almost totally precludes that and I find its placement as more ostenatious than functional. I just don't see why a church would ever locate in a commercial district and much less one that is so unfriendly to pedestrian traffic. Think about all this, why would any church pick THAT location?

How about we leave the evangelical preaching out of this thread. We all know how well that has been going recently. :wacko:

It was nice to hear what was said. Of all the structures in Pinnacle Hills it is definitely one of the most peculiar and contradictory probably. It definitely deserves some discussion somewhere.

It's the nature of the modern megachurch, seems to me. Highly visable location near a freeway, really only accessable by car.

I have to agree with those that disagree with megachurch concept. Being a Christian myself, I don't see how you can truely, honestly, deep down justify this. It appears to me to be primarily self-serving, no matter how you sugar coat it. Can you say that the money spent for this outrageously expensive land, large crosses, fancy sound systems, posh seating (I'm just assuming, since I haven't been inside), and other luxuries are justified in lieu of other much better ways to spend the money to best serve Him? If there is, I would like to hear it, because I haven't heard or read a good reason yet.

People can argue that it shows off and impress people so much as to lure them in or sway them. Perhaps someone who is desperate, who needs guidance, who is looking for answers, or just a place to pray, talk, feel a sense of belonging. It is a house of worship, I know. But I think there's obviously a line where you have gone beyond that, and have spent the money for selfish reasons (individually selfish reasons, or collectively). Heck, that church can even turn off people, and give critics more ammo against organized religion, christianity, etc. A church is not to serve the people. It is a place for people to serve Him and to fulfill His purpose.

I think that money, like others, could have been better spent on other things. The best way to serve the community, the congregation, and ultimately Him and for His glory, is not by showing off IMO. Because that's what I see in a megachurch. Showing off. That's just my opinion.

you know, besides the two-way lcd screen that'll project who knows what behind ron, and the glass his and her baptistries, i think one of the coolest things about this church is that the murals on the nursery walls include all white children, save one that has a slight tan.

you know, besides the two-way lcd screen that'll project who knows what behind ron, and the glass his and her baptistries, i think one of the coolest things about this church is that the murals on the nursery walls include all white children, save one that has a slight tan.

HAHAHAHA, its so funny yet sad, welcome to the bible belt, except, we seem to be the "belt buckle" of it!

HAHAHAHA, its so funny yet sad, welcome to the bible belt, except, we seem to be the "belt buckle" of it!

Since this isn't directly related to the CPH...I remember reading an article (I thought it was a credible source in something like the Washington Post or similar) saying how it used to be either an unspoken (or perhaps in some communities, spoken) architectual rule in many if not all American communities that buildings in a town center were never to be taller than the top of highest steeple of the community, as a reminder for Who was ultimately in (all-powerful, all-loving) charge of the town.

But then we started building skyscrapers and that rule was quickly set aside...not that I expect or necessarily want to see a steeple as tall as the old World Trade Center Tower 1.

I definitely don't know the motives of the people behind it or their purposes/reasons. I see it more of a influence of the Texas-sized churches than southern churches. Product of our franchising culture... People can't be blamed for not being different than their popular influences. However, what's right needs to be taught as what is right.

I almost forgot to mention this. This may not be a done deal after all. Sounds like people in Philadelphia are throwing a fit over this and are trying to keep the painting up there. I hate to say it but I can't help but wonder if this would be the same reaction if say the painting would be going to DC or NYC. It almost seems like people suddenly have a problem with it when they find out it's going to Arkansas or the Ozarks or something.

Wah! That's what dem Yankees up in NYC said and they got shafted the same way dem Yankees in Philly will get. HILLBILLIES RULE!!! :lol:

I almost forgot to mention this. This may not be a done deal after all. Sounds like people in Philadelphia are throwing a fit over this and are trying to keep the painting up there. I hate to say it but I can't help but wonder if this would be the same reaction if say the painting would be going to DC or NYC. It almost seems like people suddenly have a problem with it when they find out it's going to Arkansas or the Ozarks or something.

You are probably right, Rod. People outside of this area have such a negative view of us here. They probably think we all go to mega-churches on freeways with murals of exclusively white children on them or something!

You are probably right, Rod. People outside of this area have such a negative view of us here. They probably think we all go to mega-churches on freeways with murals of exclusively white children on them or something!

Gee, I wonder where they got that idea from. :P

I've been finding news articles about this protest from as far as Taiwan, Fox News, North Carolina, etc.

Like I said earlier, I just wonder if there would be a problem if it were going to somewhere else instead of Arkansas. Heaven forbid if any 'national treasures' found their way into our part of the country. What do they think we're going to do with it? Perhaps I'm misreading this but it just seems like a problem suddenly arises after our location happens to be mentioned.

Like I said earlier, I just wonder if there would be a problem if it were going to somewhere else instead of Arkansas. Heaven forbid if any 'national treasures' found their way into our part of the country. What do they think we're going to do with it? Perhaps I'm misreading this but it just seems like a problem suddenly arises after our location happens to be mentioned.

They're prejudiced against us!

• 2 weeks later...

While we're discussing double standards regarding Arkansas and artwork, I'd add I doubt anyone would have a problem with a mural of all black children in a church in an area like say, Atlanta, would they?

Probably wouldn't even notice. Nope.

My impressions from driving past the Church at Pinnacle Hills: The resulting building is interesting; more interesting than some of the jumbo churches on New Hope near 71B. The crosses are ostentatious but I can probably get used to them. The reflecting pond on the north appears to be a nice touch.

But I can not take this church seriously. I was shocked that they chose to knock down every single tree in what was a really nice, park-like area. (There is a buffer of trees remaining on the south edge of the property... picture that type and density of trees all the way north to the creek.) When the trees were there it was a wonderfully inviting looking piece of property that looked kind of heavenly and it was easy to visualize a new, grand church in such a pretty setting. I was amazed that a church did not choose to incorporate some of nature's beauty by conserving several stands of trees to grace their new church. If they were going to mow down every tree for building and parking lot why didn

My impressions from driving past the Church at Pinnacle Hills: The resulting building is interesting; more interesting than some of the jumbo churches on New Hope near 71B. The crosses are ostentatious but I can probably get used to them. The reflecting pond on the north appears to be a nice touch.

But I can not take this church seriously. I was shocked that they chose to knock down every single tree in what was a really nice, park-like area. (There is a buffer of trees remaining on the south edge of the property... picture that type and density of trees all the way north to the creek.) When the trees were there it was a wonderfully inviting looking piece of property that looked kind of heavenly and it was easy to visualize a new, grand church in such a pretty setting. I was amazed that a church did not choose to incorporate some of nature's beauty by conserving several stands of trees to grace their new church. If they were going to mow down every tree for building and parking lot why didn

Archived