James K. Polk Building/site lease from State

markhollin

That would be a huge loss; so hoping there's a clear path soon. It sucks to be in a limbo state like that. The timing is very important as TPAC would need a place to go. What is planned for one of the last large sites at the Bicentennial Mall along the eastern side (5th Avenue), on the state parking lot south of the data center? 

• Like 2

Am I incorrect, but doesn't the Schermerhorn sort of act as an Opera house as well as Symphony hall? I don't see the state as eager to get rid of Legislative Plaza, even part of it. 

I think there is tremendous potential for some very rich folk to help fund a state of the art performance venue. I could see and all new building, going into this location with both parking, underground, new TPAC facilities and office space.  It could be seen as an attempt to "revive" the area. There would be a need to a 2-4 year temporary home for everything currently in TPAC but it would doable if it were spread out to the various universities.  There is a fairly decent amount of parking at the adjacent City Center Building as well as the Sheraton and kind of close Library, Doubletree, Phillips Plaza and Public Square garages.

Edited by Nash_12South

57 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

The symphony hall would not work AT ALL for touring Broadway shows! There is no front curtain, no wing space, no fly system for scenery & lighting, no orchestra pit, inadequate dressing rooms, etc. It is an outstanding symphony hall, but is not a theatre.

Thanks for the insight. I have zero knowledge on performing arts space, so Belmont and the Symphony Hall are the two examples I threw out in conversation with friends when talking about it.

• Like 1

Just now, Bos2Nash said:

Thanks for the insight. I have zero knowledge on performing arts space, so Belmont and the Symphony Hall are the two examples I threw out in conversation with friends when talking about it.

I have not been inside the new Belmont facility, but on paper it looks like it would probably accommodate some of the smaller Broadway musicals. Highly unlikely that anything on the scale of Wicked or Lion King would work in that space.

• Like 2

I think one of the big questions about any project going into the scrap yard site is the time and cost involved in environmental remediation. A replacement for TPAC can hardly afford unexpected delays and possible enormous unexpected increases in costs.

Something significant and iconic SHOULD go there, but I don’t think it’s the best fit for a new performing arts center considering the time crunch that is likely in this situation.

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

For all it’s flaws I actually don’t consider the tower nondescript. It’s black and grey stripes, non-flat roof, and “fat guy on short legs” look makes it pretty distinct to me. Despite its relatively humble height it stands out in the skyline, especially when you’re looking from the north or west during the day (if I’ve got my bearings right).

I could see something very tall going there. It’s a unique location in a part of town that’s already very built-up, unlike some locations along places like 2nd avenue  there’s no historical character of the area that would need to be maintained, and given land prices and the gradually shrinking amount of available locations downtown by the time the Polk tower is demolished it could be financially smart to expand upwards more than what we normally see.  I’m a layman with this though so I could obviously be completely wrong, and a Dennys could go there instead. 

Reading your reply makes me see that nondescript wasn't a good choice of words.  I guess I was trying to relay that it seems like more of a steady eddy type building than a flashy flora one.  What's funny is, one of your points (non-flat roof) refers to one of the thoughts I had about possibly losing this one.  I was like, one of the very few buildings without a flat roof and it's the one that's gotta go.  Good grief.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...