James K. Polk Building/site lease from State

markhollin

11 hours ago, MidTenn1 said:

Once again with the East Bank proposal, I measured the footprint of the current TPAC from Google earth and found it was about the size of a soccer field. So, it would fit in well to the proposed revitalization of the East Bank by occupying a relatively small piece of land. It shouldn't subtract much from all those billions the city and Adams family is set to make from all the valuable real estate. You could conceivably start construction without waiting for the current stadium to be demolished.

The Austin Texas PAC might be a good example, if not a tad small. It was completed in 2015 at $350 sf.

773103186_PACLocation.thumb.jpg.8bdf780a42e1e721d47731643168332c.jpg

It could look something like this.

1176066211_PACRender.thumb.jpg.d20fcc0b710b52eae81a188b8fd00efd.jpg

There are several ways to mitigate flooding with walls, extra ground elevation, or stilts. It's just a problem to be solved.

This ^^^^^ was a clip I made from google earth of the Hobby Center and overlaid onto the conceptual East Bank stadium and area revitalization conceptual design.

I'm not sure how you pay for a new performing arts center, but some combination of donations, event revenues, naming rights and a fair portion of the new leasing revenues from the current TPAC and Polk Building site could be used.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

As someone who sometimes works at TPAC, and sometimes is a patron at TPAC, I would prefer any relocation take the venue farther from the chaos of the stadium and Lower Broadway, not closer!

I am with you on that. Maybe they could find a spot in the Reed District or Beaman Project or anyplace Not near that Circus they call Lower Broadway 

Edited by Luvemtall
Spellcheck

2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I am with you on that. Maybe they could find a spot in the Reed District or Beaman Project or anyplace Not near that Circus they call Lower Broadway 

Exactly where it should go....along with a brand new art museum, an interactive car museum, the Adventure Science center and a an interactive Museum of Music.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bnacincy said:

Exactly where it should go....along with a brand new art museum, an interactive car museum, the Adventure Science center and a an interactive Museum of Music.

Yes, we need a theater and museum district. And I believe that’s a great location.

• Like 3

That site on the mall would be a good location. Downtown, but not in the craziness of lower broad. Could be convenient to germantown restaurants, etc. Helps build a museum/cultural theme around bicentennial mall.

Isn’t that current structure a data infrastructure center for the state. And don’t I remember from somewhere in the past that the state was considering relocating that infrastructure perhaps to an offsite data center?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AUNash said:

That site on the mall would be a good location. Downtown, but not in the craziness of lower broad. Could be convenient to germantown restaurants, etc. Helps build a museum/cultural theme around bicentennial mall.

Isn’t that current structure a data infrastructure center for the state. And don’t I remember from somewhere in the past that the state was considering relocating that infrastructure perhaps to an offsite data center?

It was my understanding that the state wanted to relocate the data center.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Love the idea! The only issue with that approach is TPAC would need the funding (or government support) to build it's own building, which at this time they don't really appear capable of raising such funds. 

Their best bet would be to get involved with another private development and form a binding covenant (possibly an SP or a CBA) that would allow TPAC to operate in a new space.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, bnacincy said:

I will say it over and over....TPAC (Along with the FRist Museum,Adventure Science Center, a museum of music..etc) need to be on Upper Broadway where the Reed and Beaman properties are being developed. Perhaps the developers there would see an opportunity and patronise these entities as it would be a draw for their developments. The City could then market Broadway as a destination spot but this would be far enough from Lower Broadway to avoid the crowds and the noise there.

Why would Frist Arts, Cumberland Science, NMAAM need to be together? People see more of the city's areas when attractions aren't clumped together.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Why would Frist Arts, Cumberland Science, NMAAM need to be together? People see more of the city's areas when attractions aren't clumped together.

As a marketing tool and a matter of convenience....a good example would be the Houston Museum district.

• Like 2