New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

21 minutes ago, markhollin said:
  • The Tennessean reported earlier this month the price tag for renovations to the 23-year old Nissan Stadium were $600 million, but a Titans spokesperson says actual cost is now estimated to be nearly double that.
  • The Titans confirmed that due to the rising cost estimates, "we need to take a step back and re-evaluate if a stadium renovation is the most responsible option forward and explore other paths."

That makes a lot of sense, I know that many building material suppliers are offering a massive discount for new stadiums only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed! I think with the success of lower Broadway and everything it's spawned around it, the city sees a blank canvas around Nissan Stadium.  So leveraging its potential cannot be fully considered without weighing the costs/benefits of a retractable roof.  I'd expect they'll look at what (if any) additional events they'd attract with that facility and all the dollars to follow.  I'm just astounded by the incredible rise in the cost of the renovation. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

While everyone is dreaming about a new stadium I still like the idea of a guitar shaped stadium where the sound hole of the guitar could slide back providing the open air concept when needed. The neck of the guitar would extend across the river allowing for enclosed moving sidewalks to facilitate people movement to Broadway where they would enter/ exit through the tuning pegs. The extra backspace of the guitar could allow for enclosed training field(s) and Titan offices. It could also house the new Nashville Stars stadium and allow for separate dual stadiums paid for by both ownerships under one building. The strings of the guitar could be neon lighted and the stadium would become a landmark icon for Nashville. For those still laughing at this idea, it allows for event space for concerts; homes for two pro teams, and allows for the planned restaurants and shops being imagined by the planned redevelopment of the area. Heck, throw in a giant Ferris wheel and or a roller coaster and let the fun and games begin. This concept would be funded by the billionaires in large part and supplemented by Metro only to the extent they originally planned for the Titan stadium refurbishment.  Now let the replies and comments begin. Everyone has an opinion!

Tacky.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rolly said:

That's gonna be nuts if they nuke Nissan, replacing it with a baseball stadium. And next door a retractable-roof modern-layout football stadium.   Wow. 

I think that if a new stadium and ball park were to be built, the parking should be underground below it similar to Nashville Yards.  Even building it up further to the level of the adjacent interstate would be feasible IMO as such parking would be needed for concert uses IMO, there is no excuse that would justify retaining huge surface parking lots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why are guitars tacky? Anytime anyone mentions making an iconic building in the shape of what put Nashville in the spotlight to begin with, someone says "tacky". I for one think the guitar building in Ft. Lauderdale is super cool. But here, where it makes sense, it's tacky? Not boxy enough for you? Buildings shouldn't be unique? Because I believe London would argue with you. Man, that rubbed me the wrong way. Great idea Ramrod.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baronakim said:

I think that if a new stadium and ball park were to be built, the parking should be underground below it similar to Nashville Yards.  Even building it up further to the level of the adjacent interstate would be feasible IMO as such parking would be needed for concert uses IMO, there is no excuse that would justify retaining huge surface parking lots.

Where else in town would you be able to stage the Indy Car race..........the pits and the grandstands...........and 1/2 the track layout?   It seemed to do pretty good in its debut.

IndyNashville1.jpg

IndyNashville3.jpg

• Like 1

I do think, depending on a new location for a new stadium, parking could be a big deal. If it were built adjacent to the existing stadium, you'd need to figure out where to park those using the current surface lots. Going down with new parking would be ideal, but could you? Would any parking below 1-2 levels be prone to flooding? I do think the scrapyards would be a good site, but as some have pointed out, how long to get the site purchased and cleaned up?  I'd be in favor of fast tracking development of the parking lots along Woodland street with residential/retail and with really large parking garages. That  would allow for use of the existing parking for a new stadium. Most other sites would seem to add several years to getting it built.

Edited by Nash_12South