New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

30 minutes ago, Markitecture said:

Does anyone know if the cities still in the running for the FIFA Cup have enclosed stadiums with roofs or retractable roofs? 

Open air: 11 (Seattle, San Francisco, Kansas City, Miami, Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Toronto, Mexico City, Monterey, Guadalajara)

Fixed roof: 2 (Los Angeles, Vancouver)

Retractable roof: 3 (Houston, Dallas, Atlanta)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Jim Gingrich, the former chief operating officer at AllianceBernstein who was integral in relocating the global asset management firm from Manhattan, detailed his concerns in a July 5 letter to members of Metro Council. Gingrich urged the council to scrutinize the negotiations and "assert its authority" over the matter. The 40-person body ultimately will vote on any agreement brokered by the team and Mayor John Cooper.  Gingrich has stated he will be running for Mayor. 

Gingrich applauded Metro Council for slotting $200,000 into the budget for Metro's newly begun fiscal year to obtain an independent assessment of the cost of Metro's obligations under the city's lease with the Titans.

Gingrich named five must-do items for that effort:

1. determine Metro's "true obligations and responsibilities" under the current lease;

2. assess what needs done to bring Nissan Stadium to the lease's obligatory "first class condition" standard — including a comparison of future maintenance expenses with future interest payments on the money Metro would borrow to help fund a new stadium;

3. calculate how much a new, domed stadium would raise the franchise's value;

4. get an estimate of what potential revenue the Titans could generate from a new stadium's personal seat licenses (a payment to secure the ability to buy season tickets), naming rights, sponsorships, additional events and other sources;

5. "directly engage the community about the stadium and its standing among Nashville's many competing needs."

"It is possible that intelligent, tenacious negotiation will result in a much better deal, making a new domed stadium the right thing for the city," Gingrich wrote. "We need to decide how we will balance the interests of the Titans and our robust tourism industry with the real needs of people in the city. An investment of this magnitude deserves nothing less."

Copy of the letter here:

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/12296651/gingrich-open-letter-to-metro-council.pdf

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/07/06/gingrich-titans-stadium-council.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=me&utm_content=NA&ana=e_NA_me&j=28282765&senddate=2022-07-06

Gingrich clearly drafted this letter with an eye towards his mayoral campaign. That said, if this is the start of his campaign, it's a good start! I agree with his concerns.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Jim Gingrich, the former chief operating officer at AllianceBernstein who was integral in relocating the global asset management firm from Manhattan, detailed his concerns in a July 5 letter to members of Metro Council. Gingrich urged the council to scrutinize the negotiations and "assert its authority" over the matter. The 40-person body ultimately will vote on any agreement brokered by the team and Mayor John Cooper.  Gingrich has stated he will be running for Mayor. 

Gingrich applauded Metro Council for slotting $200,000 into the budget for Metro's newly begun fiscal year to obtain an independent assessment of the cost of Metro's obligations under the city's lease with the Titans.

Gingrich named five must-do items for that effort:

1. determine Metro's "true obligations and responsibilities" under the current lease;

2. assess what needs done to bring Nissan Stadium to the lease's obligatory "first class condition" standard — including a comparison of future maintenance expenses with future interest payments on the money Metro would borrow to help fund a new stadium;

3. calculate how much a new, domed stadium would raise the franchise's value;

4. get an estimate of what potential revenue the Titans could generate from a new stadium's personal seat licenses (a payment to secure the ability to buy season tickets), naming rights, sponsorships, additional events and other sources;

5. "directly engage the community about the stadium and its standing among Nashville's many competing needs."

"It is possible that intelligent, tenacious negotiation will result in a much better deal, making a new domed stadium the right thing for the city," Gingrich wrote. "We need to decide how we will balance the interests of the Titans and our robust tourism industry with the real needs of people in the city. An investment of this magnitude deserves nothing less."

Copy of the letter here:

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/12296651/gingrich-open-letter-to-metro-council.pdf

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/07/06/gingrich-titans-stadium-council.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=me&utm_content=NA&ana=e_NA_me&j=28282765&senddate=2022-07-06

Let me tell ya, nothing says I'm ready to be mayor of a fairly large city than the ability to conduct "tenacious negotiation" 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, shanky said:

Let me tell ya, nothing says I'm ready to be mayor of a fairly large city than the ability to conduct "tenacious negotiation" 

Almost like we heard something similar the last mayoral election cycle and then eviscerated said candidate when negotiations slowed down a certain stadium :tw_glasses:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Metro Council's East Bank Stadium Committee held its first gathering yesterday.

The seven-member East Bank Stadium Committee, led by At-Large Council member Bob Mendes, will hold a series of public hearings about the complex issues at play in downtown's planned redevelopment. 

Their focus is on community concerns with the proposed new home for the Tennessee Titans and with more than 100 acres of redevelopment surrounding it on the east bank directly across from downtown. 

The next meetings are set for 4:30 p.m. on July 28, Aug. 18 and Aug. 31 in the Metro Council chambers.

"The committee will take public hearings but not make legislative recommendations," Mendes said. "Our job is to gather information to get the public and council members informed to make a quality decision regarding the stadium and especially the infrastructure that goes with east bank. I view this as a sphere for Metro Council to gather information."

Importantly, the committee will develop a new website dedicated to sharing information and answering questions about the stadium development plans. 

The committee expects to hear specifics about a new stadium deal at its Aug. 31 meeting. A series of public hearings will follow. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2022/07/15/nashville-council-begins-talks-titans-stadium-east-bank-overhaul/10064336002/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

May be a dumb question, but could the new TPAC or a new concert venue be incorporated into the new stadium somehow? I understand some creative closing off sections would be required to make it feel like you were in a theatre or concert hall.

It would be great if the stadium was utilized in some fashion like 300 days of the year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

May be a dumb question, but could the new TPAC or a new concert venue be incorporated into the new stadium somehow? I understand some creative closing off sections would be required to make it feel like you were in a theatre or concert hall.

It would be great if the stadium was utilized in some fashion like 300 days of the year. 

This is absolutely a realistic option. I would argue that you may not even need to have the field be interrupted by TPAC's space. I know it is a stupidly expensive reference, but SoFi Stadium incorporated a theater into their stadium plan. They could keep the footprint of TPAC on the at grade level as compact as possible and place BOH items underneath and have large set lifts to move things around (maybe our resident TPAC veteran can give some function insight to us??). Manica seems to be pretty creative group, so hopefully the Titans (one of those millionaire/billionaires who need to pony up for culture) are working to bring some culture into their new, expensive facility.

Here is the SoFi site plan. #8 is American Airlines Plaza which is a huge, covered pedestrian plaza and #9 is YouTube Theater. 

image.png.06db2d1496265bbcaff989a44d8c2d5f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My son got married recently, and their venue was The Bridge Building. The views are simply stunning of downtown!, so I’m with MLB that a new TPAC would be really cool on the East Bank  river side with a wall of glass to view all of downtown. Then the terrace patios , for pre show social hour , just a good idea!

• Like 3

So basically the article is a continuation of Nihill saying what sounds like "the right things", but in reality, it is all hot air at this point. 

Does the current lease of the stadium give the Titans complete control of the parking lots around the stadium? if not, what is keeping the Sports Authority from going out and trying to do the mixed use development around the stadium as it currently sits? That would almost force the Titans into either working out a deal to renovate the stadium, or design the new one within a general area of the existing one.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, subkyle said:

I would bet a great deal of money that the lease would prohibit the city from wiping away all of that parking. I almost wonder if there is some type of city code that would prohibit that as well. 

There would be a difference between wiping out the parking vs structuring it into some development. Sure there will be a temporary elimination of parking, but that would be happening with construction of a new stadium anyways. Think about how for 5th and Broad the convention center/metro paid for the big garage below that development, something similar could be in play here for taking over some of that parking lot.

I have also said ALL ALONG that for the stadium to better serve residents and create a community that connects to folks in East Nashville like the Titans have been saying throughout the process that the new development needs to be on the east side of the stadium instead of putting the stadium between the new neighborhood and existing East Nash neighborhood. By locating the stadium to the east of the current site they are just begging for an extension of lower broadway.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, nashvylle said:

@Bos2Nash I agree that the current location of the existing stadium is the best spot for a new stadium, but we know why that won't happen- lost revenue for 4 years + rent to play in another stadium. 

I mentioned this previously but the Car Hole is an ideal candidate for a rebuild in place. The two seating towers are structurally independent and could be rebuilt one at a time. Probably not over one off-season but if the Titans were willing to settle for reduced capacity (keeping in mind that the TV contracts are the money-makers) it could be done. Colleges do it all the time with their sports facilities and Miami did it for Hard Rock Stadium (the venue ownership was referencing as a model before the money for a new stadium came into play).

• Like 1

A debate about additional ticketed events (up to 15 per year) projected for the new enclosed stadium between Burke Nihill of the Titans, Mandy Pellegrin of theSycamore Institute, and Scott Ramsey of the Nashville Sports Council:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/07/25/tennessee-titans-stadium-debate-cost-benefit-of.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chicago today unveiled a plan to renovate Soldier Field to try to keep the Bears in town:

https://footballstadiumdigest.com/2022/07/to-dome-or-not-to-dome-future-of-soldier-field-under-debate/

Notably two of the three options include retrofitting a dome on the open-air stadium (among other upgrades) at a cost of $900 million to $2.2 billion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1