New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

Here is a list of the 5 most expensive NFL stadiums in the country.  Here is an interesting article that lays out some information on each of those five.

• SoFi Stadium (2020): $5.5 billion (Host of the most recent Super Bowl)
  • Allegiant Stadium (2020): $1.9 billion
  • MetLife Stadium (2010): $1.7 billion (Not a domed stadium)
  • Mercedes-Benz Stadium (2017): $1.5 billion
  • AT&T Stadium (2009): $1.48 billion

I would be more worried about a new Stadium coming in closer to $2.5 to $3 billion when looking at current landscape of things. Not to mention including some of the features discussed above. While a new stadium would be shiny and new, I don't know if that cost is justifiable. Sure, the Titans ownership is wealthy, but is is liquid wealth where they are gonna pony up $1.25-$1.5 billion? If we are to get a new stadium, the state should also step in and help with the costs as the whole state benefits from the single NFL team in the state. Honestly, show the innovation that is possible by renovating (at 50% of the cost of a new stadium), then work with the NFL to bring a Super Bowl here (they have done it in unroofed "colder" climates before), then renovate First Horizon Ballpark and bring MLB to the city. Good Game!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

If we are to get a new stadium, the state should also step in and help with the costs as the whole state benefits from the single NFL team in the state. 

What are the benefits to East and West Tennessee, exactly?  I don't see any reason that legislators from those ends of the state would go along with that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NissanvilleTitans said:

Why are guitars tacky? Anytime anyone mentions making an iconic building in the shape of what put Nashville in the spotlight to begin with, someone says "tacky". I for one think the guitar building in Ft. Lauderdale is super cool. But here, where it makes sense, it's tacky? Not boxy enough for you? Buildings shouldn't be unique? Because I believe London would argue with you. Man, that rubbed me the wrong way. Great idea Ramrod.

Perhaps then, the Dolphins need a dolphin shaped building or the Rams need spiral ramps on their facility placed like like horns.  A guitar shaped building...funny ONCE.  Trying to FORCE building design into an arbitray form insures you will have a crappy result architecturally.  There is no end to the kitsch you open up to in suggesting such.  YES...Tacky.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NissanvilleTitans said:

Why are guitars tacky? Anytime anyone mentions making an iconic building in the shape of what put Nashville in the spotlight to begin with, someone says "tacky". I for one think the guitar building in Ft. Lauderdale is super cool. But here, where it makes sense, it's tacky? Not boxy enough for you? Buildings shouldn't be unique? Because I believe London would argue with you. Man, that rubbed me the wrong way. Great idea Ramrod.

Guitars aren't tacky. Guitar shaped buildings are. 

Buildings can be unique and should be, but what's unique about designing a building in the shape of a musical instrument? 

"Form follows function" still applies...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Armacing said:

What are the benefits to East and West Tennessee, exactly?  I don't see any reason that legislators from those ends of the state would go along with that.

Well maybe not the state - because that is a decent point - but at least the surrounding counties stepping up. Similar to the transit referendum, why should Nashville/Davidson County shoulder the entire burden to benefit people that come from all over Middle TN?  

Maybe a starting point for financing should be what the city fronted for Nashville SC. The $225 million in bonds works out to $7,500/seat. If we use the 82,500 capacity of MetLife stadium (largest in the NFL) as a benchmark, that would come out to about $619 million in bonds. If the Titans ownership agree to cover all the debt service and hit the same benchmarks that Nashville SC has, then I believe it isn't all that bad for the city. Additionally the special tax district around the stadium that was part of the discussion should really only cover half - IMO - so that the monies beyond just the real estate taxes benefits the city coffers and not just the stadium (ie the convention center and lower broadway). Additionally it should be a requirement for a CBA to be instituted similar to the one that was implemented with the SC Stadium. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Armacing said:

A lot of people in Memphis are still mad about the whole Oilers situation (when they should really be mad at their terrible city leadership at the time), but yeah - You'll for see sure a few representatives from Memphis be opposed to state funding. (Which anyone should be, IMO...the same with someone from Johnson City or Knoxville as I don't see how a stadium in Nashville benefits someone 200+ miles away)

Anyways, "Tennessee" Titans was the compromise for state funding for Nissan, correct? 

If the Titans want a new stadium, they should foot the bill (along with Metro if that's what the voters want). 

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sean blackdog said:

Black for parking lots? 

99723750-D6BC-419B-BB55-8C329F5F367A.jpeg

If any parking lots (not covered by buildings and activated all the way around were to be proposed within a block of the riverfront that would be an absolute travesty.

4 minutes ago, CandyAisles said:

Parking lots underground with tailgating green roof.

Please Please Please GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CandyAisles said:

Parking lots underground with tailgating green roof.

I've thought about that before. Not the underground part -- but the green roof/tailgating. 

I always thought the spread of the parking on the East Bank was a huge waste of space. I figure that they could take the largest stadium lot (the one between the stadium and I-24) and build 2 decks. One deck would double the parking capacity, allowing for some of the ancillary lots to be sold and developed. The top deck would be covered in a green roof with some concrete paths for tailgate vehicles to travel on.  The top deck would not be available for general parking...just tailgating. It would have its own separate entrance and exit ramp, and the pathways would be one way, in order to maximize green space. Tailgating spaces would be larger, allowing for bigger parties, tents, chairs, grills, etc (probably around 4 standard parking spaces). The tailgate area would be open to everyone, of course, not just tailgaters. But they would have to take the stairs or elevator to get there. There would also be an area in the middle, closest to the stadium, reserved for a stage -- for surprise concerts or entertainment for the tailgate area. Finally, there would be a bridge to the stadium with a general admission entrance so that tailgaters and visitors will have quick access to the stadium, and not have to shut down their tailgates early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, markhollin said:

Amy Adams-Strunk and her siblings that co-own the team are worth a TON of money.  Maybe not as much as some NFL owners, but still wealthy to the point that they could amass at least half of the cost for a new stadium with other investors to make it all work out quite nicely for all involved in the long term--especially if they got to share in the pie of any sports village attractions/hospitality around the new structure.

Once the new football coliseum was finished, they could implode Nissan Stadium, and THAT is where an MLB baseball stadium could go (with whatever ownership group is behind that franchise ponying-up the bulk of the cost provided they also get some attractions built immediately around their ballpark). 

All of the land in that area is controlled by the city via the Nashville Sports Authority, so they hold the keys to that extremely valuable real estate and whoever is going to build whatever on the acreage.

Outside of Green Bay, I think she's the poorest of the NFL owners.  I doubt she's going to be footing half the bill on this.

2 hours ago, CandyAisles said:

This state operates on Nashville's tourism.

Jack up those hotel, rental car and entertainment taxes.

15 minutes ago, japan said:
3 hours ago, CandyAisles said:

Jack up those hotel, rental car and entertainment taxes.

Those particular taxes in Tennessee are already outrageously high. At a certain point you start discouraging some from coming here…especially groups, both convention and tourist. I fear we are near that point.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CandyAisles said:

To hell with it...bridge over the interstate.

image.thumb.png.df121a11ef093bfd7780a94dc009024b.png

That's one idea! The area around the stadium has a TON of under-utilized parking lots, that could be much more efficient in terms of land-use. 

I'd say an idea would be to put the new stadium closer to the edge of the interstate, or build it OVER the interstate as suggested. Then, implode the old stadium and replace it with an MLB ballpark. Then build high rise garages for parking and infill with residential, hotels, and maybe office, for high density surrounding this region.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Armacing said:

Yeah, any investment of $2B opens up a lot for a city.  I wish we would spend $2B to build out a high-tech computer chip manufacturing campus and then invite someone like Intel or Samsung to come lease the facility and manage it.  Just think about how much greater the economic impact to Nashville would be over the long run if we kick-start our entry into the high-tech manufacturing sector right when America is trying to diversify its chip sourcing away from Asia!  And the jobs there would be plentiful and very high paying.  I'm talking about engineers and well paid technicians, not somebody squirting mustard onto a hot dog or pouring beer into a plastic cup.

If the city is in the business of making smart investments with government money, then it must be pointed just out how inferior an investment stadiums are compared to other possible investments of $2B.

That would be a great investment…and would help all of America.

• Like 4

Can about 30K to 40K of the seats, jumbotrons, electronic signs, and other items (toilets, urinals, PA system, etc.) from Nissan be donated to TSU to reduce costs for a new on campus stadium?  Instead of simply imploding it... After all, state monies did help build Nissan....

Hmmmm... inquiring minds want to know... :dontknow: :tw_glasses:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Melrose said:

Yeah, that's not really compelling logic. 

You're talking, maximum, 2 Super Bowls over the next 25 years.  And yes, perhaps getting in the mix for 1 or 2 Final Fours. Fun in theory, sure, though with our total lack of public transit, also probably a nightmare for residents.   If the Titans want to take on all of the financial risk, great.  But Metro shouldn't be making any more bad stadium deals that result in  huge repair liabilities for the City down the road and/or potential bond liabilities that hinder Metro's ability to invest in things that have an impact beyond  4 weeks over the next 25 years.    Nashville's economic needs have to be assessed beyond whether Steve Smith gets to set a new beer sales record at his fake honkytonks....  

More like 3 or 4 years max. If they hug a tight rotation with LA, LV, NO, Miami, and Nashville and a change of pace NFL city every now and again. It's still not worth it though.

22 hours ago, Armacing said:

Yeah, any investment of $2B opens up a lot for a city.  I wish we would spend $2B to build out a high-tech computer chip manufacturing campus and then invite someone like Intel or Samsung to come lease the facility and manage it.  Just think about how much greater the economic impact to Nashville would be over the long run if we kick-start our entry into the high-tech manufacturing sector right when America is trying to diversify its chip sourcing away from Asia!  And the jobs there would be plentiful and very high paying.  I'm talking about engineers and well paid technicians, not somebody squirting mustard onto a hot dog or pouring beer into a plastic cup.

If the city is in the business of making smart investments with government money, then it must be pointed just out how inferior an investment stadiums are compared to other possible investments of $2B.

But...what is to stop any other city anywhere in the the U.S. from doing such and outbidding Nashville?  There are only 32 NFL franchises in this universe.  I don't disagree with the merits of your proposal, but it isn't an apples to apples comparison when there are finite constraints to particular economic opportunities.

Edit:  I don't think the city should foot the entire cost of a stadium, even if it would mean Final Fours in basketball and football along with Super Bowls.  But I'm not sure how much Titans ownership can afford without the city's help.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 2