New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

https://www.bigcountrynewsconnection.com/sports/national/heres-how-4-of-the-newest-billion-dollar-sports-stadiums-are-being-funded/collection_f6ed4281-6ebc-5ba9-a725-e2157e51ba4e.html#4

NFL: Tennessee Titans

Updated 6 hrs ago

image.png.44e35d482958b0a90872132b6ab26039.png

Total cost:  $2.1 billion (Groundbreaking fall 2023, to open in 2026)

State Cost: $500 million

State Benefits: The Titans will make annual payments to the Nashville Needs Impact Fund over the term of the lease totaling at least $47 million. Funds will support nonprofits serving Nashville and Davidson County for public education, public transit, gender equity in sports and affordable housing.

The Tennessee Titans were the beneficiaries of a stadium deal gone bad back in the mid-1990s. The Houston Oilers, owned at the time by Bud Adams, wanted to replace the aging Astrodome. But just as he began pressuring local and state authorities for help on the deal, the Oilers fell apart on the field. Houston finished 12-4 as AFC Central champions in 1993, but won just two games the following season, finishing 2-14 on the year. That amounted to the biggest one-season regression in NFL history.  As a result,  Adams' multipurpose downtown stadium proposal fell on deaf ears. So instead of forking out more cash to get it done, Adams moved the team to Nashville in 1997. Soon thereafter, Nissan Stadium construction began. And after one year in Memphis at the Liberty Bowl and the 1998 season at Vanderbilt's home stadium, the Titans saw the Nissan Stadium open its doors. 

While the location has suited the franchise, Nissan Stadium's amenities and revenue opportunities haven't aged well. A newly approved stadium, set to open in 2026, will be state of the art. The slightly smaller, weatherproofed stadium will have a translucent roof and terraces with panoramic views of the city.s.The location will also open up prime waterfront real estate opportunities for both the city and developers. The signed deal will also create a 12,000-square-foot community plaza adjacent to the stadium that will be used for "educational opportunities, non-profit events, and other community-minded purposes," according to the Tennessee Titans.

Additional community benefits include a large payment from the franchise to the Nashville Needs Impact Fund. Over time the Titans will contribute $47 million to the fund, which will allow nonprofits serving Nashville and Davidson County to aid public education, public transit, gender equity in sports and affordable housing.

The NFL, the Titans and personal seat license (PSL) sales will cover at least $840 million for the construction cost overruns per their signed agreement. A PSL is essentially a premium price fans pay to secure a seat, granting them first access to that seat for any events the stadium will host. A one-time state contribution of $500 million is a part of the deal as well as $760 million coming from revenue bonds issued by the Metro Sports Authority. The $760 million will be repaid by revenue generated primarily by hotel visitors and new stadium guests. The new stadium's location will also create value for the city according to its mayor, who sees opportunities for building more public parks, affordable housing, and a transit hub.

• Like 3

After a very lengthy meeting (ended around 1:48 am), the council voted on a one meeting deferral on the 2nd reading. However, not before voting 19-18-1 in favor of an amendment regarding team rent payments for non-NFL events. It will be interesting to see what comes of this as it could have an impact on how the Titans were planning to fund their share of the project.  I’m sure we’ll see more today about it.

Edited by WebberThomas4
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

I tend to agree Paul, something such as above would not fit with its surroundings . I like the forward thinking and idea of something unique and different, but it also needs to not completely stand out like a sore thumb.

I know what you guys are saying and it makes sense but none of those other futuristic new stadiums fit in with their surroundings either and yet people seem pretty excited by them!  For myself I'd love to have the new one, within a few years it would become a symbol of Nashville just like the Space Needle is a symbol of Seattle and it would become iconic.  That will never happen with the existing design!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I prefer the more field house look than the extravagant designs like LA. 

Fitting it into the neighborhood is easier with those looks as well I would think.

This is the current neighborhood.

image.thumb.png.de362de7718b23473238056c9d46a7c4.png

There's nothing in the neighborhood but non descript metal warehouse buildings, a metal scrap yard, parking lots and other structures of absolutely no significance.  So, why not create a new design aesthetic for the area that pushes creativity?  Also, there is nothing wrong with an eclectic mix of architecture in an area.  New York City is a prime example of that.  You have modern glass towers next to art deco buildings, next to gothic revival buildings, next to renaissance revival buildings.  Yet somehow it works.  

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I would still like to see the upper windows be able to open fully to give (at least) some indoor-outdoor feeling on nice days. And it wouldn't be the maintenance headache that I understand comes with the retractable roofs. 

That's one of the coolest features at SoFi.  You're indoors with an absolute outdoors feel.

• Like 1