New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

53 minutes ago, markhollin said:

I was a guest on 102.5 The Game's Darren Daunic & Chase midday show today for 15 minutes to discuss possibilities about the new Titans Stadium concepts in regards to location options, price of land, costs to the city, etc.   After they finished with me, Darren McFarland and Derrick Mason (guest hosting this week) spent another 25 minutes going over what we talked about.

Nice interview Mr. President :tw_wink:

• Like 3

On 2/18/2022 at 12:49 PM, TheRaglander said:

Anyone think this would kill the FIFA World Cup "hosting" chances?   That's a lot of money the city could gain from that event.  I would like that new shiny stadium, though.  

I think this news kills Nashville's chances for hosting the 2026 World Cup Soccer games. It seems like Nashville's proposal was based on the upgrades recently proposed which I don't see happening now. The FIFA World Cup Committee will be making host city announcements soon and it now seems highly unlikely the city could provide assurances regarding stadium improvements that would give FIFA any confidence a facility would be ready. I personally doubt they would want the stadium 'as is' although it is serviceable. 

However, the original proposal submitted to the committee did propose that either Nashville or Baltimore as host some major 'workshops' which would draw quite a few soccer officials and fans from around the world. So, a (sad) consolation prize may still be possible. 

Edited by MidTenn1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I do not want to pay for an all new stadium, what is Nashville on the hook for, monetarily, in keeping the existing stadium up to date? Are we sure the hundreds of millions in repair costs are not needed? Would the Titans stay if Nashville does little to nothing in repairs? What are the costs of maintaining the stadium with no NFL? Are our chances for that 80 story dream tower better  with an embarrassingly lackluster stadium or with a gleaming showplace? 

We seem excited about a massively renovated airport, but wasn't the old one functional? Couldn't planes land and take off, just fine, with minimal updates. Those dollars could have funded a lot of charities....We renovated in large part to take the city/region to a higher level. I can see similar arguments regarding a new stadium. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 4

I think the beginning of my post got lost somewhere. I’m not in favor of a new (largely taxpayer funded) stadium. I’ve been 4 times to Nissan, 3 games and a concert. I didn’t say our airport  upgrades are bad or not needed or benefit many folks. I was (very) unsuccessfully trying to say that someone posts a picture of a spectacular event at Nissan as a way of saying  that it needs no upgrades is similar (to only me) as posting a pretty picture of the airport, prior to current renovations, as an indicator of it not needing improvements. Nissan will need improvements to keep us competitive for events it can host, like the airport needs improvements to keep the city competitive. Having said that I’ll try to emphasize that I don’t want unnecessary tax dollars going toward a new stadium or renovating the existing one.  
Apologies.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

From the online Tennessean today.... https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2022/03/01/nashville-new-football-stadium-2-billion/6943679001/ 

The new price tag led Metro and Titans officials to consider another option: building a new stadium from scratch. Details on such a plan are slim and analysis is ongoing, but the idea has gained traction among some Metro officials.  Financing would come, over the long term, from private investors who partner with Metro and Titans officials to complete a new entertainment district surrounded by park-dappled neighborhoods and riverfront activities. 

Some commentary from Councilman Mendes on the quotes in this story.  Cooper getting his facts wrong not doing any favors to Metro's negotiating position ....

https://www.mendesfornashville.com/news/fact-checking

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 11:08 AM, BnaBreaker said:

And Nashville should definitely pay billions to replace it's perfectly adequate football stadium instead of investing in public schools and the police department and building sidewalks and a mass transit system that actually functions!   I mean who in their right mind would care about having safe streets, educated children, and the ability to move about the city with ease when millionaire pro athletes have to play their eight home games per year without a dome over their heads?  Won't anyone think of the millionaire pro athletes?!?

I agree that all of those things are priority over a new stadium...but you know it's not an either/or situation when it comes down to it. "I'd have more money for food if I didn't have to buy a bus ticket to get to work."  I'm seeing lots of people saying that the NFL doesn't provide any proof of economic impact...but that doesn't mean that it doesn't.  You can't gauge the mindset of someone moving here who might say "I'd get to see the Islanders play every year and sometimes the Jets" as a reason they would move to Nashville as oppose to Austion or Orlando.  I imagine plenty of people visit Nashville for a sporting event but decide to come back because they have a great time.  Again, agree that if I had to choose, I'd choose schools, mass transit, etc over NFL.  

• Like 2

Proverbial apples and oranges take from a fund accounting perspective:  if an entertainment district were developed, with private investment as well, to produce sales tax revenue to pay for  upgrades or a new stadium, those revenues would not exist without the new stadium or the upgrades.  The city would not be taking funds from the general fund prioritizing the Titans over sidewalks, education, police or a million other things that matter more.  A negative might be a reduction in the city's borrowing power or any liability outside restricted/dedicated sales tax revenue from the entertainment district.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Take a look at what Cincinnati did to their riverfront (I think they even call it "the Landings") where they demolished an existing "cookie cutter" stadium and built separate baseball and football stadiums nearby. They used the footprint of the the old stadium to build a massive parking garage under blocks of condos and restaurants. Someone here recently did some math, and it's not a stretch to think a lot of the financing could be underwritten by private development. I suspect the details are what is being hashed out between the various parties. I just don't know if a revamp with a retractible roof will even be looked at seriously.  I hope they're getting deep dives on all viable options, but I suspect Nashville and the Titans already agree that they're going to get a brand new roofed stadium. I think the discussions are more how to sell it to the public. 

I'm afraid you're probably right. 

On 2/28/2022 at 4:55 PM, Bos2Nash said:

On top of that, the "first-class stadium clause" is also keeping the city in check for the remainder of the this lease as the city is required to uphold a certain standard - one which I have yet to see a definition for - for the Titans.

That definition and the contract is discussed here:  https://www.mendesfornashville.com/news/fact-checking

Regarding the East Bank overall,  the reality needs to be acknowledged that East Bank development is happening regardless of what option is chosen for the stadium.  Oracle and River North are seeing to that by themselves.   So  whether it is a renovation (to whatever level) or a new stadium (Chevy version or Cadillac version),  it seems that Metro does not need to go too far "sweetening" the pot with incentives,  as opposed to overseeing a smart plan and making smart infrastructure investments  and having the Titans and private developers pay handsomely for the privilege of getting to partake.