Marriott Hotel, 125 7th Ave. North (21 stories, 442 rooms, 16,000 sq. ft. restaurant, 25,000 sq. ft. meeting space, 287 capacity internal garage)

markhollin

Yes @downtownresidentyou are technically right, I was just making a example of the underwhelming, boring, blandness of a building that they want to build . If I could stand corrected, then I would say that such a building is better in say, MidTown or GreenHills, etc. I mean it’s the desire of planning and the Council to stair step up to the central core , so as with most cities our central core should be filled with TALL office and Residential buildings, that stand above . Now if they want to build a hotel the likes of what Nashville Born was speaking about at say a minimum of 600 feet with a lighted crown… that’s what the central core should have. I really do believe that most of us here on the board , want Nashville to take it to the next level and flex some muscles in the Skyscraper world

1 hour ago, henburg said:

These diagrams look to be different than the rendering posted above, does anybody know which is more up to date?

I would follow what is on the development tracker as that is what the city would hold the developer to.

4 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Yes @downtownresidentyou are technically right, I was just making a example of the underwhelming, boring, blandness of a building that they want to build . If I could stand corrected, then I would say that such a building is better in say, MidTown or GreenHills, etc. I mean it’s the desire of planning and the Council to stair step up to the central core , so as with most cities our central core should be filled with TALL office and Residential buildings, that stand above . Now if they want to build a hotel the likes of what Nashville Born was speaking about at say a minimum of 600 feet with a lighted crown… that’s what the central core should have. I really do believe that most of us here on the board , want Nashville to take it to the next level and flex some muscles in the Skyscraper world

Planning can have a desire for the core to look like that, but it is still the responsibility of the developers to do that. You have to remember that this developer is not known to even go this big, so this could be an overwhelming stretch for them.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Planning can have a desire for the core to look like that, but it is still the responsibility of the developers to do that. You have to remember that this developer is not known to even go this big, so this could be an overwhelming stretch for them.

I know, I get it… just depressed. I so much want to see Nashville get some tall boys . My time is quickly fading, I’m not a spring chicken anymore, just would like to see a few. Like I said , this is better then what’s currently there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I know, I get it… just depressed. I so much want to see Nashville get some tall boys . My time is quickly fading, I’m not a spring chicken anymore, just would like to see a few. Like I said , this is better then what’s currently there. 

I'm no longer a Summer chicken dude and getting well through Fall.  Gripeis about lack of tall are not very valid here.  TALL is what happens when you have very limited land and big populations like in Hong Kong and Manhatten. We have tons of land to spread out, so tall buildings will be more like spicing the urban mix rather than the norm.  Also cities with lots of tall structures tend to be older where the existance of mid height buildings were built 100 or more years ago.  It took forever for Nashville to get the L&C... while tearing down lots of good 10-20 story buildings.  We salivated 10 years ago with a 20 story proposal.  Some of y'all are are acting like y'all are spoiled rotten.  Celebrate what we are getting dudes.  I care much more about what wer are getting at ground level than 500 feet above my head.  In other words, substance rather than eye candy.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 3

@Baronakimpoint taken, as I said earlier I get it. 
it’s all good, I’m just a bit anxious I guess. I did spend my childhood and early adulthood in the Northeast, with NYC as my playground. Kinda got used to seeing taller buildings, it’s what got me interested in the first place. Hopefully I didn’t offend anyone, peace.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

I'm no longer a Summer chicken dude and weel through Fall.  Gripping about lack of tall is not very valid here.  TALL is what happens when you have very limited land and big populations like in Hong Kong and Manhatten. We have tons of land to spread out, so tall buildings will be more like spicing themix rather tha the norm.  Also cities with lots of tall structures tend to be older where the existance of mid height buildings were built 100 or more years ago.  It took Forever for Nashville to get the L&C

I don't disagree with your premise.  And I also don't take issue with Luvemtall's desire for height.  I share the disappointment and the desire to see good height before I no longer can.  I think as long as we see examples like Devon Energy in OKC, Battlehouse (or whatever it's called) in Mobile, or the ones in Omaha and Des Moines...cities with googobs of land, yet also with taller structures than we have in Nashville,  people like me will continue to hope in spite of the odds.   

@Luvemtallplease don't feel the need to apologize.  We're all here because we share an enthusiasm for the same thing.  We might differ in what looks good to one or the other, yet there's a tie that binds us all.  You shared your opinion, your feelings.  I certainly wasn't offended by your comments.  To me, that's the beauty of this community.  And I hope it continues in a way that everyone allows everyone else to have a different thought or take on a development and that be A-OK.  

Edited by nashville born
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good to see something mid range from Marriott. The Westin, JW, Renaissance and Joseph have the upper end covered. I will say the Fairfield in the Gulch punches above it’s weight in terms of quality and hospitality compared to other Tier 1 Marriott properties. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Such a shame that a prime lot in the central core , is used for a suburban looking squat box bland hotel. I know it’s way better then the empty parking lot, but c’mon .

It really is. It looks like the Omni & Drury had a baby and this was the result. 

That said, it's a good property and a needed mid-range Marriott flag for the urban core. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, nashville born said:

examples like Devon Energy in OKC, Battlehouse (or whatever it's called) in Mobile, or the ones in Omaha and Des Moines...cities with googobs of land, yet also with taller structures than we have in Nashville

Great point.  I would add Charlotte, Austin, Houston, Calgary, Edmonton, and Brisbane to the list of cities with very tall buildings but also plenty of lots of undeveloped land even within the center city.   I can't help but think that if Nashville hadn't created the conditions that allowed Williamson county to siphon off so many corporate headquarters it could have had much greater density and height in the downtown core.   Imagine if all of Maryland Farms and Cool Springs was crammed into the inner loop!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

And imagine how much worse traffic would be if we had that much additional density and STILL had no substantial mass transit!

:tw_flushed:

Well I will say it again, I’m not afraid to tell the truth. Nashville’s traffic situation is from a lack of proper planning on TDOT’s part. There’s NO excuse for 3 major interstates to merge in the center of the city. There’s no beltways to totally encircle the Metro, to alleviate the unnecessary amounts of though traffic ( especially the commercial trucks) from the center city. Everyone traveling on said interstates MUST pass though and clog the inadequate and poorly planned exchanges of routes. Example, I-24 merges with I-40 on the left , but continues its path and flows to the right and I-40 does the opposite! How insanely poor planning took place there! That should never happen, but if it must then some flyovers should have been implemented. And the damn rock outcroppings that totally block anyone from safely seeing what lies ahead , budget engineering and construction. Nashville’s traffic isn’t necessarily from within or the outlining communities, it’s a lot to do with all the gobs of traffic just passing through, and all these Hugh warehouses and distribution facilities being built will keep adding to the nightmare. Sure , some form of good mass transit is viable for any major city, which Nashville is. But even if we have a dream inter city system, the mess on the interstates will still be there for there’s no other proper way to go around. And I’m not buying into this route 109 solution, I know for fact at least 10 major subdivisions and retail projects planned just in the Lebanon section alone with 4 planned traffic signals to be installed within the next year. That’s not a flow though route , people just don’t want to have to deal with stop and go , they want a interstate highway with 70 mph . I’m not singling out any one individual ( engineering, designers..etc) it’s the whole of the way Tennessee deals with infrastructure, this pay as you go totally sucks. This state is falling behind in its dealings with infrastructure, plain and simple. And there’s really no problem with toll roads if it helps with traffic flow, you waste more money on fuel sitting still then paying a toll

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Well I will say it again, I’m not afraid to tell the truth. Nashville’s traffic situation is from a lack of proper planning on TDOT’s part. There’s NO excuse for 3 major interstates to merge in the center of the city. There’s no beltways to totally encircle the Metro, to alleviate the unnecessary amounts of though traffic ( especially the commercial trucks) from the center city. Everyone traveling on said interstates MUST pass though and clog the inadequate and poorly planned exchanges of routes. Example, I-24 merges with I-40 on the left , but continues its path and flows to the right and I-40 does the opposite! How insanely poor planning took place there! That should never happen, but if it must then some flyovers should have been implemented. And the damn rock outcroppings that totally block anyone from safely seeing what lies ahead , budget engineering and construction. Nashville’s traffic isn’t necessarily from within or the outlining communities, it’s a lot to do with all the gobs of traffic just passing through, and all these Hugh warehouses and distribution facilities being built will keep adding to the nightmare. Sure , some form of good mass transit is viable for any major city, which Nashville is. But even if we have a dream inter city system, the mess on the interstates will still be there for there’s no other proper way to go around. And I’m not buying into this route 109 solution, I know for fact at least 10 major subdivisions and retail projects planned just in the Lebanon section alone with 4 planned traffic signals to be installed within the next year. That’s not a flow though route , people just don’t want to have to deal with stop and go , they want a interstate highway with 70 mph . I’m not singling out any one individual ( engineering, designers..etc) it’s the whole of the way Tennessee deals with infrastructure, this pay as you go totally sucks. This state is falling behind in its dealings with infrastructure, plain and simple. And there’s really no problem with toll roads if it helps with traffic flow, you waste more money on fuel sitting still then paying a toll

Well said.  I mean, I repeat this whenever I can, but I'll say again that although I think that Nashville desperately needs mass transit, it shouldn't be seen as a traffic reduction tool, in my opinion.  I mean, it'll help to some degree, but it's not like it's going to remove traffic jams altogether.  Nashville could build a complete transit system tomorrow with BRT and LRT and whatever else, and it would still have traffic issues.  That isn't really the ultimate goal of mass transit, though.  The ultimate goal with mass transit is simply to connect our neighborhoods by providing people with a convenient and cost effective alternative to automobile travel so they have options encase they don't feel like sitting in traffic or spending thousands of dollars per year that they might not have on gas and vehicle maintenance.  What will ease traffic is, as you said, better highway planning, but also building our communities with smarter planning, along with increased density.  Building with density provides people with the ability to walk and bike for short trips, and generally results in more street connectivity so not all vehicle traffic funnels out to one or two main highways.  That though, is going to require Nashville metro to take a hard look in the mirror and would be a much longer journey.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, henburg said:

Tough to totally judge just from a diagram, but as far as the typical parking pedestal midrise hotel design goes, this looks like one of the nicer ones in my opinion. The materials look more visually interesting than stucco or paneling, which is what usually drags these sort of developments down in the end. Is it a bit underwhelming for downtown's first Marriott? Perhaps, but I don't think this project deserves some of the scrutiny and "suburban" complaints that its gotten in this thread. If the diagrams translate to reality, than this will be very high quality infill where a parking lot once stood.

The same developer has built a Marriott in Uptown Dallas not far from where I live. The materials as represented in the diagrams leads me to believe that what they have planned here will be very similar, I’ll see if I can swing by and grab some pictures of the one in Dallas. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I grabbed a pic from PaperCity magazine’s website in a feature about the uptown Dallas Marriott. The quality of the finishes appear far superior to most of our newer convention center area hotels. 

EA450469-D993-40DF-90BB-0F0ADB7ECD9E.jpeg

I have to say after seeing this photo, if ours looks similar to this, then it is a good looking building. 
I’ll retract some of my comments, posted earlier and rejoice in this news. 

• Like 4

That stretch of Commerce will look so much better in a few years, with the Marriott, Tempo, the SE corner of the AEG complex and the old Baptist Sunday Board building, all despite the parking lot next to it (could be developed in future years), the backside of the Thompson Federal Courthouse (maybe someday they'll expand it as they once said they'd need to do), and the parking structure behind the library. Oh... and that odd looking brick building at the SW corner of 9th and Commerce.  At least it will look more urban, if also more eclectic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, henburg said:

Tough to totally judge just from a diagram, but as far as the typical parking pedestal midrise hotel design goes, this looks like one of the nicer ones in my opinion.

The design that we saw the other day has actually moved all parking underground. It appears to be mostly a valet lot with stacking of vehicles rather than traditional parking, so they were able to minimize the amount of parking floors thus minimizing the cost impact of going underground.

• Like 4