GreenCity/GreenCity Arena - $2.3B Ecodistrict

eandslee

Just now, Downtowner said:

Sounds right to me. I remember that whole fiasco too. But an owner has never been ousted from the nfl. Not sure about mlb or nhl though. I thought the old reds owner marge schott was but I’m not sure on that one. 

True - even the Bidwells never got the heave-ho from the NFL, despite being uttery crappy owners and all they put the Cardinals franchise through over the decades.

• 4 weeks later...

31 minutes ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

Green City to break ground early next year.

Somewhat surprisingly, at least to me, the arena does not appear to be part of the first phase. Maybe I misread the article?

What?!  It's always been planned to be part of the first phase.  I'll have to read through the article and see.

After reading the article, it did say that the Best HQ would be the first thing that will get renovated, but they didn't say whether or not the arena would be in the first phase.  I always thought it was going to be built in the first phase.  If that's changed then something has caused that to be pushed back (which is not good).

Edited by eandslee

I’m wondering if they are designing the arena to be upgradable in capacity like climate pledge arena in Seattle. I would love to have them leave that option available for future ideas. While it stinks the arena is leaving the city for henrico I still gotta say this project is impressive. We also are now home to the largest eco building in the country now. It was in Portland and we blew past that. Portland had one that was 53,000. The best products building will be 300,000 so yeah a huge difference. 

• Like 1

Also of note, there was mention of using the specially treated, eco-friendly timbers that have come up for discussion on these boards as well.

Interesting article - it seemed very cursory, though - a very top-line overview kind of story. Surprised there wasn't more mention of the arena.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Henrico EDA approvals set stage for massive GreenCity development - Richmond BizSense

Another hurdle cleared for GreenCity.

*Sorry if link doesn't work -- it looks strange but is working for me.

I’m just curious about the arena groundbreaking…is that to happen early next year (the article was just too vague)?  That’s the project I’m most interested in.  I’ve also read where the arena won’t be finished until 2026, contradicting this article saying 2025. Who knows what’s actually happening?

• 2 months later...

Green City takes another step toward becoming a reality. The Henrico County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday created a new community development authority to handling financing through the issuing of 30-year bonds. The CDA's five-member board was also selected. The county hailed the CDA's creation as meeting a significant milestone toward getting Green City development underway.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/01/26/henrico-forms-financing-authority-for-arena-anchored-greencity/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Green City takes another step toward becoming a reality. The Henrico County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday created a new community development authority to handling financing through the issuing of 30 year bonds. The CDA's five-member board was also selected. The county hailed the CDA's creation as meeting a significant milestone toward getting Green City development underway.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/01/26/henrico-forms-financing-authority-for-arena-anchored-greencity/

I also thought that the timelines mentioned for completion of the Best Products “living building” (2024) and the arena (2025) are off (too aggressive).  I don’t know…maybe I’m wrong, but I think it will be at least 2026 before an arena is completed. It is encouraging that the land for it will be purchased by next month and that plans are moving forward…I’d just like to see a shovel hit the dirt…which isn’t going to happen until at least near the end of this year. 

1 minute ago, eandslee said:

I also thought that the timelines mentioned for completion of the Best Products “living building” (2024) and the arena (2025) are off (too aggressive).  I don’t know…maybe I’m wrong, but I think it will be at least 2026 before an arena is completed. It is encouraging that the land for it will be purchased by next month and that plans are moving forward…I’d just like to see a shovel hit the dirt…which isn’t going to happen until at least near the end of this year. 

image.png.d2cca3022f0e7612ef03be6cfd4e49a2.png  - on this. I agree with you - 2024 and 2025 for the Best Products and arena respectively are WAY overly ambitious, particularly for the arena portion. They might be able to have the Best Products building repurposed in a year's time - but that seems REALLY optimistic. Mind you, I really like their aggressive approach - but how realistic it might be is another question altogether.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

image.png.d2cca3022f0e7612ef03be6cfd4e49a2.png  - on this. I agree with you - 2024 and 2025 for the Best Products and arena respectively are WAY overly ambitious, particularly for the arena portion. They might be able to have the Best Products building repurposed in a year's time - but that seems REALLY optimistic. Mind you, I really like their aggressive approach - but how realistic it might be is another question altogether.

Only way I see the arena ready is if the construction goes flawlessly and everyone has it run smooth and they have a large amount of people from all skilled trades then maybe it is ready by 2025. But that never happens with all of the changes made during the construction of a building especially a big one of this magnitude. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

should the roads be configured in a way to allow for future expansion into nearby properties over time? Right now it seems to be designed to be pretty insular. 

image.png.ddd52c3d3a7e013c6d8d565be3639b2d.png on this!!

The county absolutely SHOULD factor this into their forthcoming plans NOW - proactively - and not try to FIX this after the fact - reactively. (Anyone want to post odds on which path they'll choose?)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

Doesn't seem to be part of the plan, but I'd imagine that somehow constructing an exit from 1-295 with a feeder road into the property would probably be of assistance. 

I am against this idea. The stretch of I-295 between I-95 and Chamberlayne is an important and high volume merge point. An additional interchange there would create a serious congestion issue.

I do agree that the roads in the area needs to be addressed beforehand, and the I-95/Parham Rd interchange definitely will need to be reconstructed.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice feature in today's RBS giving a peek at a more granular level of some of the specs of the northern half of the Green City development. I'm glad to see any kind of forward progress on this development. Somewhat bummed that it will take at least 10 years to build this out fully - (I'll be turning 71 in 2033 - provided I make it that far!) - but at least there continues to be forward movement, which is a good thing.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/02/09/conceptual-layout-filed-for-goodwin-owned-portion-of-greencity-project/

GreenCityResidential1-700x500.jpg

GreenCityResidential2-700x500.jpg

GreenCity-site-plan-1-452x700.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Nice feature in today's RBS giving a peek at a more granular level of some of the specs of the northern half of the Green City development. I'm glad to see any kind of forward progress on this development. Somewhat bummed that it will take at least 10 years to build this out fully - (I'll be turning 71 in 2033 - provided I make it that far!) - but at least there continues to be forward movement, which is a good thing.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/02/09/conceptual-layout-filed-for-goodwin-owned-portion-of-greencity-project/

I know, the whole age thing really starts to be a consideration.  There are times, when seeing all the development news and growth, I feel sad about it. I feel most of the growth I'll likely never see it or really experience it like I used to.  It's just not like the days when I was at VCU, working in design/architecture, living downtown, living in the fan, working on Main street, working in Carytown or Manchester, those days are gone and this city is for the next generation now.  I just witness it here on UrbanPlanet with the occasional glance as I drift by on the way to something else, anyway, glad I brought the mood down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Hike said:

I know, the whole age thing really starts to be a consideration.  There are times, when seeing all the development news and growth, I feel sad about it. I feel most of the growth I'll likely never see it or really experience it like I used to.  It's just not like the days when I was at VCU, working in design/architecture, living downtown, living in the fan, working on Main street, working in Carytown or Manchester, those days are gone and this city is for the next generation now.  I just witness it here on UrbanPlanet with the occasional glance as I drift by on the way to something else, anyway, glad I brought the mood down.

image.png.fc3a54f4cde843b2d4f2983a89199cd8.png !!!

Exactly! Thanks you, @Hike-- there's no question you totally get it. :tw_thumbsup: (I'm not saying others don't. I'm just pointing out that clearly you do.)

As excited as I am by all of the amazing development, my excitement is tempered by a tinge of sadness wondering how much of I'll actually live to see. It's particularly painful in a way because this is the kind of stuff I've wanted since I was a little kid excited about the prospects of his city growing up to be the "next Atlanta" (or in my 8, 9, 10-year old mind, the "next New York City"). What is particularly frustrating and makes me particularly sad - the city spent 40 of my 60 years hemorrhaging population, the metro area grew but only at a modest pace, and things for which I've been hoping since the early '70s have been taking place for only the past decade, give or take. So in a way, it feels like the city wasted 40 years of my life not only NOT growing - not only stagnating - but regressing. 

Now? She's on a roll - but even then there are very disturbing reports that population growth in the city itself has stalled even as the metro is booming - and even as the city itself is exploding with development. Maybe this will sort out in the next seven years and we'll see really impressive numbers in the 2030 census. And like you - when I was in my "heyday" - walking around Carytown, working downtown, doing to the Diamond for Braves baseball or the Coliseum for Renegades hockey - NONE of what we're seeing now was going on. 

Now that the city is rolling and construction is booming and the city is really starting to become noticed - I keep hoping against hope and praying like crazy I'll live long enough to see all of this and really enjoy it. For me, it really is the flipside and is part of the "reality" that on a personal level, adds that much more urgency in my desire to see RVA "get there" -- particularly when from my stand point, she should have "gotten there" already 20, 30 or 40 years ago.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

image.png.fc3a54f4cde843b2d4f2983a89199cd8.png !!!

Exactly! As excited as I am by all of the amazing development, my excitement is tempered by a tinge of sadness wondering how much of I'll actually live to see. It's particularly painful in a way because this is the kind of stuff I've wanted since I was a little kid excited about the prospects of his city growing up to be the "next Atlanta" (or in my 8, 9, 10-year old mind, the "next New York City"). What is particularly frustrating and makes me particularly sad - the city spent 40 of my 60 years hemorrhaging population, the metro area grew but only at a modest pace, and things for which I've been hoping since the early '70s have been taking place for only the past decade, give or take. So in a way, it feels like the city wasted 40 years of my life not only NOT growing - not only stagnating - but regressing. 

Now? She's on a roll - but even then there are very disturbing reports that population growth in the city itself has stalled even as the metro is booming - and even as the city itself is exploding with development. Maybe this will sort out in the next seven years and we'll see really impressive numbers in the 2030 census. And like you - when I was in my "heyday" - walking around Carytown, working downtown, doing to the Diamond for Braves baseball or the Coliseum for Renegades hockey - NONE of what we're seeing now was going on. 

Now that the city is rolling and construction is booming and the city is really starting to become noticed - I keep hoping against hope and praying like crazy I'll live long enough to see all of this and really enjoy it. For me, it really is the flipside and is part of the "reality" that on a personal level, adds that much more urgency in my desire to see RVA "get there" -- particularly when from my stand point, she should have "gotten there" already 20, 30 or 40 years ago.

We've identified this before, we're basically the same age.  All you mention here was the same time frame for me and your experiences and thoughts about Richmond are duplicated here.

I can say this, and I'll bet you can too, even with all the disappointments, we had some great times here, we made the best of it.  

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hike said:

We've identified this before, we're basically the same age.  All you mention here was the same time frame for me and your experiences and thoughts about Richmond are duplicated here.

I can say this, and I'll bet you can too, even with all the disappointments, we had some great times here, we made the best of it.  

We did indeed, my friend! :tw_thumbsup:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hike said:

Don't call it quits yet: I highly recommend just walking through the city of RVA. So many neighborhoods offer so much more than a glance from the car. Come experience RVA on a bike, scoot, or shoes. I learned to love RVA from the ground more than anything a skyline can offer. 

• Like 2