Grace Church 11 story mixed use development.

gman430

Is this the GTA  bus station site?

I would like to see more detailed renderings, especially ones that show coloring and building texture better, and I would like to see what the other side of the building looks like. First impression; not particularly impressive; it looks very one-sided and the top does not look right to me. I also don't think this fits in with the church at all, but that's just me. In looking at the first pic, it looks to clearly be 12 stories not 11.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

I would like to see more detailed renderings, especially ones that show coloring and building texture better, and I would like to see what the other side of the building looks like. First impression; not particularly impressive; it looks very one-sided and the top does not look right to me. I also don't think this fits in with the church at all, but that's just me. In looking at the first pic, it looks to clearly be 12 stories not 11.

It is ACROSS Washington Street from the bus station.   The 12th story is a rooftop amenity level that is mostly open, so I guess that is why it is not considered 12 stories.  This is directly next to the Church sanctuary in what is now a parking lot.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Great to see a new high- rise proposal.  I think the structure would appear to be very attractive.....in Myrtle Beach.  

Edited by cabelagent
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

12 or 11 stories. Still too short of a building to matter. Developers just can’t seem to get over that 12 story hump downtown and I still have no clue as to why. How hard is it to propose and build a 20 story building? Why is that so difficult in this city? I don’t get it. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gman430 said:

12 or 11 stories. Still too short of a building to matter. Developers just can’t seem to get over that 12 story hump downtown and I still have no clue as to why. How hard is it to propose a 20 story building? Why is that so difficult in this city? I don’t get it. 

If demand was there for a 20 story building, it would get built. I am told by developers that taller buildings simply are not feasible at the present time. As the land becomes more scarce for projects, the odds will go up for taller buildings. 

Edited by gman

5 minutes ago, GVLer said:

I am not sure why everyone is obsessed with height and trying to morph Gville into Charlotte or Atlanta? Why not embrace that our city is NOT like them.

You forget what forum you’re on? :lol: Highrises in a downtown area for the most part shows a cities true size and can actually help combat suburban sprawl. Oh and I just love tower cranes in general. Different strokes for different folks I guess. :dontknow: 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gman said:

If demand was there for a 20 story building, it would get built. I am told by developers that taller buildings simply are not feasible at the present time. As the land becomes more scarce for projects, the odds will go up for taller buildings. 

If that’s the case then why is Austin, Nashville, Charlotte and Atlanta able to get all of these high rises built right now? I just think developers are scared to propose tall buildings here because they’re scared of NIMBY’s and the DRB killing them off. 

Edited by gman430

A church of all “developers” should include workforce housing within their project. Workforce housing alone would increase the height of this building and not to make this a religious debate but it’s the Christian thing to do. Even if the church is only contributing land + committing to a few floors of office space (this is the minimum that we know so far since we don’t yet know the developer, right?), I still believe they have leverage to implement workforce housing *and* it is in demand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

If that’s the case then why is Austin, Nashville, Charlotte and Atlanta able to get all of these high rises built right now? I just think developers are scared to propose tall buildings here because they’re scared of NIMBY’s and the DRB killing them off. 

It is Austin, Nashville, Charlotte and Atlanta. Land is more scarce and more expensive in all those cities versus Greenville. No one here is scared of whatever a NIMBY is or the DRB. I love tall buildings too. I remember my dad taking me down to watch the Daniel Building being constructed. Our day is coming for a 20+ story skyscraper, but it might be many years down the road. The timing is not yet right for Greenville. Our sweet spot is 8 to 15 stories. I will take a bunch of those right now and be happy. 

Edited by gman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gman said:

It is Austin, Nashville, Charlotte and Atlanta. Land is more scarce and more expensive in all those cities versus Greenville. No one here is scared of whatever a NIMBY is or the DRB. I love tall buildings too. I remember my dad taking me down to watch the Daniel Building being constructed. Our day is coming for a 20+ story skyscraper, but it might be many years down the road. The timing is not yet right for Greenville. Our sweet spot is 8 to 15 stories. I will take a bunch of those right now and be happy. 

I understand this point, but... if there is demand for ten  8 to 15 story buildings 3 of them could be consolidated into one 30 story building right?  Or if we are getting an 8 story building with 200-300 apartments couldn't we just as easily (or even more easily) narrow the footprint to make it a 20 or 25 story building? There can be a balance here; no one expects (or probably wants) a supertall in Greenville but one or two actual highrises (20-30 stories) in a growing DT makes sense. Selfishly I just want to see something taller than the Daniel/Landmark, BUT with the caveat that it be nice architecture.

8 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I understand this point, but... if there is demand for ten  8 to 15 story buildings 3 of them could be consolidated into one 30 story building right?  Or if we are getting an 8 story building with 200-300 apartments couldn't we just as easily (or even more easily) narrow the footprint to make it a 20 or 25 story building? There can be a balance here; no one expects (or probably wants) a supertall in Greenville but one or two actual highrises (20-30 stories) in a growing DT makes sense. Selfishly I just want to see something taller than the Daniel/Landmark, BUT with the caveat that it be nice architecture.

Your scenario of consolidating three buildings into one would be great if the three developers would join forces to accomplish that. However, the chances of a joint project are virtually zero. 

18 hours ago, GVLover said:

A church of all “developers” should include workforce housing within their project. Workforce housing alone would increase the height of this building and not to make this a religious debate but it’s the Christian thing to do. Even if the church is only contributing land + committing to a few floors of office space (this is the minimum that we know so far since we don’t yet know the developer, right?), I still believe they have leverage to implement workforce housing *and* it is in demand. 

I think that we all need to be really careful before stating a goal and saying that “it’s the Christian thing to do.”  That runs the risk of violating the commandment not to take the Lord’s name in vain (by casually attaching “God” to a personal or societal goal).  

There are plenty of ways to handle this building that could be considered “Christian”.  

I have no connection to Grace Church but who knows what Grace Church is doing with the proceeds from this development- it maybe using them for a range of things to help the poor, and having market-rate housing may allow Grace to earn more funds from this and thus have more funds available to help the poor; I don’t know.

Back on topic, the design of this new building really doesn’t mesh with surrounding  buildings.  Personally, I don’t care for it.  But that’s a personal preference of mine and I’m  not going to dare claim what God might think of it.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

Perusing its website, Grace Church seems to be a fairly typical multi-campus "contemporary" evangelical church. I guess the downtown location is the original, but they are "distributed" all over the metroplex.

With that in mind, the apparent design of that building makes perfect sense: it's the high-rise version of what many similar churches build out in the 'burbs, minus the worship space.

22 hours ago, gman430 said:

12 or 11 stories. Still too short of a building to matter. Developers just can’t seem to get over that 12 story hump downtown and I still have no clue as to why. How hard is it to propose and build a 20 story building? Why is that so difficult in this city? I don’t get it. 

They just built one that's 17 stories not too long ago. Have you forgotten? 17 is more than 12 right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exile said:

Perusing its website, Grace Church seems to be a fairly typical multi-campus "contemporary" evangelical church. I guess the downtown location is the original, but they are "distributed" all over the metroplex.

With that in mind, the apparent design of that building makes perfect sense: it's the high-rise version of what many similar churches build out in the 'burbs, minus the worship space.

Downtown was not Grace’s original location. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...