Oil Storm Movie

Noneck_08

I just got finish watching this movie. It's really kind of a sad movie and really hits home. It's now coming back on on channel FX. I know were pose to be talking about the South US in this forum but since the south loves cars i thinck everybody should watch this.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That movie was not exactly within the realm of reality.  I would say it is akin to The Birds in terms of probability of actually occuring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right...

Scare tactics and fear-mongering. The best way to achieve ratings, especially for cable stations. Just look at Fox News.

Oil is a genuine concern, and yes, it's a non-renewable resource, but we shouldn't necessarily panic at this point, or assume the near inevitability of the apocalypse.

Just my thoughts.

I was VERY disappointed with the cinematic quality of the film (acting, etc.) however I think the overall plot was very plausible and I think it is going to bring a subject we all need to talk about to the national dinner table. We need to all start living in SUSTAINABLE communities. Since December of 2004 I have not used any vehicle transportation back and forth from work (10 miles round trip). Unfortunately gas is not JUST what we put in our cars or motorcycles, its in plastics, gels, paints, chemicals, drugs, etc. We even use oil to fire up power plants so using this very computer, with silicon chips and fiber optics from plastics made from oil and typing on a plastic keyboard (oil) is using power from part coal part hydro and part petroleum. Its all over it affects almost every single facet of our lives. A much better piece I saw recently was either on CNN or MSNBC a weekly segment on how we are dependent in almost every way on oil. Makes me sick.

The problem I have with this movie, is that it it not about oil being a non-renewable resource, infact it does not mention that anywhere in the movie. It is implied that there are vast oil reserves in Russia that will last for years. What the movie is about, is natural disaster/terrorism interrupting our oil supply. It's really just another propaganda tool to drum up support for war in the Middle East. Sure it gets people thinking about how fragile the American lifestyle is, but it leads them to believe that war is the answer. <_<:angry:

• 2 months later...

That movie was not exactly within the realm of reality.  I would say it is akin to The Birds in terms of probability of actually occuring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please update us in your opinion now.

edit: for those scratching their heads it is a TV Movie about a huge hurricane hitting the gulf coast (Louisiana specifically) and the storm caused the oil and gas prices to rise way beyond belief.

Actually, the movie correctly predicted gas prices for the post hurricane time. We have yet to see if one of those domino effect accidents/disasters plays out like it did in the movie. It seems so wierd how reality is so close to the movie. When those refineries and shipping lanes re-open they better be carefull.... ;)

I was checking FX's schedule and they don't show it re-airing anytime within the next week, but with the current situation they may decide to show it again, or choose not to becuase of current situation. I'm hoping to see it again sometime soon.

Archived