British Youtubers Visit Charlotte

14 hours ago, LKN704 said:

IMO those charts are worthless unless they quantify the specific nature of overseas visitors...notice how it says "visitors" rather than tourists. Are Canadians who drive from Ontario or Quebec to Florida counted? Is a German connecting in Charlotte who buys a stick of gum in CLT counted towards the estimated spending? 

That chart says the average visitor to N.C. from Germany spends $1,418.  Please remind me not to buy a stick of gum at CLT!

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Oh yeah I lived for 10 years in DC area and many of those sophisticated folks came to NC for vacation especially to Outer Banks like Duck and Corolla.

I lived in DC for 16 years and most of the people O knew chose the Outer Banks for beach vacations, including one of my closest friends who is from New York originally.  For a long time he wanted to buy a home in the Outer Banks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Hey all, I just arrived at CLT!  I know inflation is high but I just confirmed you can get chewing gum here for less than $1,418!  Perhaps they charge more if you're German.

20220604_190937.jpg

4 hours ago, JacksonH said:

That chart says the average visitor to N.C. from Germany spends $1,418.  Please remind me not to buy a stick of gum at CLT!

I lived in DC for 16 years and most of the people O knew chose the Outer Banks for beach vacations, including one of my closest friends who is from New York originally.  For a long time he wanted to buy a home in the Outer Banks.

Clearly you either did not read what I had said or did not understand what I said in regard to average spending. 

My point with the chewing gum is to show that the data in the chart is worthless without quantifying what constitutes “average spending”. Airfare? Gas bought at a gas station? What about someone that never leaves the airport and is connecting from overseas (hence my chewing gum example)…is there spend at the airport (whatever that may be) counted in the data? If someone who just got off a flight from London and is connecting to Florida goes shopping at the Tumi or the Pandora near Concourse D, is there spend counted?

Sorry you didn’t understand any of that. I prefer the Trident White myself. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Clearly you either did not read what I had said or did not understand what I said in regard to average spending. 

My point with the chewing gum is to show that the data in the chart is worthless without quantifying what constitutes “average spending”. Airfare? Gas bought at a gas station? What about someone that never leaves the airport and is connecting from overseas (hence my chewing gum example)…is there spend at the airport (whatever that may be) counted in the data? If someone who just got off a flight from London and is connecting to Florida goes shopping at the Tumi or the Pandora near Concourse D, is there spend counted?

Sorry you didn’t understand any of that. I prefer the Trident White myself. 

Reading your comment here, I'm not sure you understand what "average" means.  If some of those German visitors counted in those figures don't spend any money in NC except for the purchase of chewing gum, that would bring the average DOWN, which means there would have to be an equal number of German visitors spending a whole lot MORE than $1,418 in N.C.  Which obviously means they're spending time in the state.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2015/08/30/international-tourists-flock-mountains-nc/71436532/

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:38 PM, LKN704 said:

IMO those charts are worthless unless they quantify the specific nature of overseas visitors...notice how it says "visitors" rather than tourists. Are Canadians who drive from Ontario or Quebec to Florida counted? Is a German connecting in Charlotte who buys a stick of gum in CLT counted towards the estimated spending?  What is included in spending? I don't get anything about tourists visiting North Carolina from this chart. 

Icelandair (not Icelandic Air) flying to Raleigh is more about bringing budget minded Triangle folks to Europe in the summer, rather than the other way around. Historically they are known as the "hippy airline" bringing budget-minded folks to Europe during the summer, and their business model thrives in American cities that often lack service to Europe. 

Regarding the international flights to Charlotte (I can't speak for Raleigh), the vast, vast majority of the passengers on those flights are connecting and will never leave step foot outside CLT's terminal. Do you think the flight from Rome to Charlotte tomorrow is filled with Romans setting off to explore NC? This is one of the reasons why I think it is incredibly important for an airport like CLT to have modern, up to date terminal facilities. Airport terminals are representative of the city they serve...they literally serve as the welcome mat to the city and can ultimately build future visits. 

As another poster said, I will concede that Chacun a son gout...we will never agree and at the end of the day, tastes ultimately differ.

I thought the Blue Mountains in AU were fabulous, and I'll never forget the smell of eucalyptus in the air when hiking. I lived in North Carolina for a little over 15 years, and I can't think of anything in the state that would attract international tourists. Personally not a fan of the beaches for reasons I illustrated above (not a rental-type of guy), and I find the mountain region as a whole to be sad and depressing every time I visit. Asheville I suppose is nice if you are into the kitschy atmosphere, folk-art, and craft beer (I am not). I think the region looks ugly in the winter time, and I personally prefer the look of alpine, coniferous forests over the deciduous, highland forests in NC that lose their leaves. 

One area of the state that I will admit is SEVERELY underrated and where I genuinely enjoyed my time is New Bern.  Granted, I am not in a rush to go back (one time was enough IMO) but the town was quite nice and I'm glad I went, but again, I can't see people from London flocking there for a visit. 

Boston, P-Town & the Cape, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket would like to see you about this. 

Are you from New England?  You should visit.  It's important to learn.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JacksonH said:

This is very true.  It's also true that the OBX are filled with cars from....Massachusetts.  While over in the mountains, it's hard to find a car from North Carolina.  Georgians, who like to talk about their "mountains" just can't seem to get enough of ours.  I met more than a few people in Asheville in one weekend visit who had relocated from California.  There is obviously a market for flights to Asheville...non-stops don't operate in a vacuum and clearly as one poster seems to think, obviously North Carolinians are so simple-minded and backwards it's hard to imagine them getting on a plane so the flights must be bringing people to Asheville.  But seriously, according to standards of at least one commenter here,, the US has maybe 10 destinations worthy of his time or anyone else's.  And, I suspect he'd find fault in those places as well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Phillydog said:

Are you from New England?  You should visit.  It's important to learn.

???

Learn what, exactly? 

Growing up in Upstate NY (less than 50 miles from both VT and MA), I used to spend summers in Martha's Vineyard, have family in Vermont, and lived in Boston for about two-ish years. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Phillydog said:

I met more than a few people in Asheville in one weekend visit who had relocated from California. 

I have no doubt about that.  I live in San Diego.  I went to a neighborhood bar a couple years ago with some friends who are from San Diego.  There was a live band playing.  My friends recognized one of the band members as the son of a neighbor,  who was born and raised in California.  During a break in playing he came over to say hello and my friends asked him what he's been up to.  He informed them that he was just playing with this band temporily ( i e. for the weekend) as he was only in San Diego to visit his parents and friends because he had relocated TO ASHEVILLE.  And no, he had no intention of moving back at that point because he likes Asheville and is very happy there.  (By the way, he moved to Austin first, then moved on to Asheville.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 8:12 AM, KJHburg said:

Well I am glad I live in this state and choose to as I could live anywhere.  Since NC is the 6th most visited state in NC plenty in the country plenty find things to see and visit here.  I guess I am one of the unsophisticated rubes who loves this state.  I have been to all 100 counties of NC, all 50 states and 20+ countries so I am guess I have seen some places and do think NC ranks up there.   

Sorry I was so stupid to call it Icelandic Air instead of Icelandair.  Guess it is the rube in me! 

Oh yeah I lived for 10 years in DC area and many of those sophisticated folks came to NC for vacation especially to Outer Banks like Duck and Corolla.   My international friends who have visited NC loved it. 

Yes we will just agree to disagree about tourism prospects in NC.  

I don’t understand why you and a few others are taking it as a slight? There’s been no insults or anything. 

Charlotte doesn’t attract many international visitors - especially outside of business travel. And it wouldn’t anymore than Raleigh does - both which have approximately the same number of people that is either starting or finishing their trip in Charlotte/Raleigh (Charlotte is ranked 25, Raleigh is ranked 27.) 

Raleigh probably looks like an accurate picture of what Charlotte would look like without a giant connecting hub. Based on the fact they have the same number of passengers that aren’t just connecting pax.

Raleigh fits perfect in Icelandair’s business model. A market that can be served by a narrow body aircraft into its connecting hub and dispersed throughout Europe. 

There is enough business demand that Charlotte & Raleigh could fill with a European flag carrier through one of their hubs with passengers connecting from Europe & Africa. But tourism? That’s not the case. & it’s not really a matter of opinion. It’s fact. 

Charlotte doesn’t offer anything to an international visitor that Raleigh doesn’t, likely? And I just have a hard time you guys would be as forceful that Raleigh is attracting Swedes by the boat load… I see the veiled “bless your heart” condescending compliments given by some of you to Raleigh, lol. You could literally replace the name “Charlotte” with “Raleigh” and all these anecdotal stories about San Diego and relocations would be the same. 

But coming up with ideas for international visitors - outside of targeting business/convention travel -is definitely something one could advocate for. I mean. It’s valid. Seems like resources would be better spent on targeting folks from North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee and Georgia to visit Charlotte in that order. But that’s my opinion.

I feel like that’s a very nuanced and sober post. But I know there’s something in the water and I’ll likely get the “sorry Charlotte is too hick for you” hate posts too. (I follow several cities closely. Paris, LA, Austin, Rio de Janeiro, Charlotte, Baltimore. I just like cities and urbanity and therefore, I like to comment on this board) 

But this has been a good read for me. Now I know not to get offended when some of y’all freak out when I say things like Legacy Union has a sterile pedestrian experience and how Crescent across the street is a good pedestrian level.

:) Cheers & have a happy weekend. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

???

Learn what, exactly? 

Growing up in Upstate NY (less than 50 miles from both VT and MA), I used to spend summers in Martha's Vineyard, have family in Vermont, and lived in Boston for about two-ish years. 

Perhaps I should introduce you to my friend from New York, who is so enthralled with OBX and almost bought a home there.  And he's one of the most traveled persons you'll ever meet.  He's lived in Europe, worked in countries on every continent of this planet, and has been in every corner and probably almost every state within the United States.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I don’t understand why you and a few others are taking it as a slight? There’s been no insults or anything. 

Charlotte doesn’t attract many international visitors - especially outside of business travel. And it wouldn’t anymore than Raleigh does - both which have approximately the same number of people that is either starting or finishing their trip in Charlotte/Raleigh (Charlotte is ranked 25, Raleigh is ranked 27.) 

Raleigh probably looks like an accurate picture of what Charlotte would look like without a giant connecting hub. Based on the fact they have the same number of passengers that aren’t just connecting pax.

Raleigh fits perfect in Icelandair’s business model. A market that can be served by a narrow body aircraft into its connecting hub and dispersed throughout Europe. 

There is enough business demand that Charlotte & Raleigh could fill with a European flag carrier through one of their hubs with passengers connecting from Europe & Africa. But tourism? That’s not the case. & it’s not really a matter of opinion. It’s fact. 

Charlotte doesn’t offer anything to an international visitor that Raleigh doesn’t, likely? And I just have a hard time you guys would be as forceful that Raleigh is attracting Swedes by the boat load… I see the veiled “bless your heart” condescending compliments given by some of you to Raleigh, lol. You could literally replace the name “Charlotte” with “Raleigh” and all these anecdotal stories about San Diego and relocations would be the same. 

But coming up with ideas for international visitors - outside of targeting business/convention travel -is definitely something one could advocate for. I mean. It’s valid. Seems like resources would be better spent on targeting folks from North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee and Georgia to visit Charlotte in that order. But that’s my opinion.

I feel like that’s a very nuanced and sober post. But I know there’s something in the water and I’ll likely get the “sorry Charlotte is too hick for you” hate posts too. (I follow several cities closely. Paris, LA, Austin, Rio de Janeiro, Charlotte, Baltimore. I just like cities and urbanity and therefore, I like to comment on this board) 

But this has been a good read for me. Now I know not to get offended when some of y’all freak out when I say things like Legacy Union has a sterile pedestrian experience and how Crescent across the street is a good pedestrian level.

:) Cheers & have a happy weekend. 

The problem comes down to familiarity.  I grew up in New England and had no idea there were places like OBX or Asheville.  (Like all New Englanders, the world ends at the Hudson River.  Philadelphia is The South and Chicago might as well be on Mars), the Pilgrims were the first Englush settlers in the New Workd, and if it doesn't have "Boston" in from of it I wasn't good.  Doesn't everyone think Dunkin Donuts coffee is the best on the planet?  The point us that once people learn that the Outer Banks are a North Carolina destination and the Smoky Mountains aren't a mystical forest "somewhere in Virginia?" Or that North Carolina is home to most of the best colleges and universities in the South, etc., it's a huge surprise.  "It snows in NC AND alligators and palm trees are native?  And wait Pinehurst is a North Carolina thing?".  "North Carolinians can articulate a sentence and use knives and forks?  Research Triangle Park was a state-funded concept where x, y, and z were invented?!"  "Biltmore is in North Carolina?" North Carolina's most famous places are thought of as being in South Carolina or Tennessee or Virginia or Georgia.   People are generally impressed.  Like me, the world knows next to nothing about North Carolina and once they come and find out it's generally love.   Again, NC does a crappy job marketing and selling itself and adjacent states are more than happy to benefit.

BTW, I agree with you about Legacy.  

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phillydog said:

The problem comes down to familiarity.  I grew up in New England and had no idea there were places like OBX or Asheville.  (Like all New Englanders, the world ends at the Hudson River.  Philadelphia is The South and Chicago might as well be on Mars), the Pilgrims were the first Englush settlers in the New Workd, and if it doesn't have "Boston" in from of it I wasn't good.  Doesn't everyone think Dunkin Donuts coffee is the best on the planet?  The point us that once people learn that the Outer Banks are a North Carolina destination and the Smoky Mountains aren't a mystical forest "somewhere in Virginia?" Or that North Carolina is home to most of the best colleges and universities in the South, etc., it's a huge surprise.  "It snows in NC AND alligators and palm trees are native?  And wait Pinehurst is a North Carolina thing?".  "North Carolinians can articulate a sentence and use knives and forks?  Research Triangle Park was a state-funded concept where x, y, and z were invented?!"  "Biltmore is in North Carolina?" North Carolina's most famous places are thought of as being in South Carolina or Tennessee or Virginia or Georgia.   People are generally impressed.  Like me, the world knows next to nothing about North Carolina and once they come and find out it's generally love.   Again, NC does a crappy job marketing and selling itself and adjacent states are more than happy to benefit.

BTW, I agree with you about Legacy.  

Damn, somebody really gets it! Most places get hyped like the Ripleys believe it or not show…once you get inside and see, it’s really, just ok…great marketing. That’s extreme but NC does an extremely poor job of marketing assets. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

Damn, somebody really gets it! Most places get hyped like the Ripleys believe it or not show…once you get inside and see, it’s really, just ok…great marketing. That’s extreme but NC does an extremely poor job of marketing assets. 

Edit: and for the love of God, One of NC larger metros should have the largest museum dedicated to air flight in the world.  You think Our neighbors wouldn’t? Oh, great, let’s slap a slogan on a license plate and call it a day…wtf?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tourism slogans for most countries of the world:

https://www.travelholicq.com/tourism-taglines-of-every-country-in-the-world/

Some sell better than others. Some require prior knowledge to fully understand. Some are reaching or odd. Yemen? Iraq?

Best by far for my money? Ethiopia: Land of Origins  (Humans, coffee. Top that anyone)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No international tourists here for sure

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2022/u-s--women-s-open.html#!latest

Congratulations to Minjee Lee of Australia for winning the LPGA US Open in Southern Pines.  She's from Perth WA  

some stories from the Australian media 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-06/minjee-lee-ruthless-us-womens-open-win-path-to-greatness/101128354

and  from the largest newspaper down under  https://www.smh.com.au/sport/golf/us-women-s-open-final-round-live-updates-minjee-lee-chases-second-major-20220605-p5ar8u.html   dateline North Carolina

Top 10 players  in the LPGA US Open 

2 from Australia 

2 from South Korea 

1 from Sweden

1 from UK 

1 from Ireland 

3 from USA 

hope they bought lots of souvenir gum! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2022 at 10:56 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Thanks. I am a bit confused...nowhere did I insult NC or North Carolinians or label it with an adjective that folks here are insinuating that I did (someone used the term rube). I literally said that tastes ultimately differ. I did say that the Mountain region of NC was sad and depressing, which IMO, to me it is. Driving to Boone from Charlotte on 421, passing derelict buildings with "Trump Won" flags (especially near Wilkesboro) is depressing to me. Driving from Boone to Asheville (I forget what road that is) and seeing Confederate flags is sad to me. I guess I'm sorry that seeing such things makes me "sophisticated". 

21 hours ago, KJHburg said:

No international tourists here for sure

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2022/u-s--women-s-open.html#!latest

Congratulations to Minjee Lee of Australia for winning the LPGA US Open in Southern Pines.  She's from Perth WA  

some stories from the Australian media 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-06/minjee-lee-ruthless-us-womens-open-win-path-to-greatness/101128354

and  from the largest newspaper down under  https://www.smh.com.au/sport/golf/us-women-s-open-final-round-live-updates-minjee-lee-chases-second-major-20220605-p5ar8u.html   dateline North Carolina

Top 10 players  in the LPGA US Open 

2 from Australia 

2 from South Korea 

1 from Sweden

1 from UK 

1 from Ireland 

3 from USA 

hope they bought lots of souvenir gum! 

The NY Red Bulls are playing at the BofA Stadium this weekend against the Charlotte FC, and the Red Bulls have several players from overseas...Brazil, Uruguay, UK, and Venezuela...by your metrics we need to count those visiting players as international tourists!!

On 6/5/2022 at 10:59 AM, JacksonH said:

Perhaps I should introduce you to my friend from New York, who is so enthralled with OBX and almost bought a home there.  And he's one of the most traveled persons you'll ever meet.  He's lived in Europe, worked in countries on every continent of this planet, and has been in every corner and probably almost every state within the United States.

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove? A man from New York is well travelled, likes the Outer Banks, almost bought a house there, but didn't. I have a friend from Raleigh that visited Seattle once, loved it, and wanted to transfer offices and buy a house there, but didn't. You could easily replicate that anecdote with any other city or state. 

On 6/5/2022 at 3:11 PM, Durhamite said:

Edit: and for the love of God, One of NC larger metros should have the largest museum dedicated to air flight in the world.  You think Our neighbors wouldn’t? Oh, great, let’s slap a slogan on a license plate and call it a day…wtf?

Granted, I am a big fan of aviation, but I will say that the Carolinas Aviation Museum is world class. I'm really looking forward to their new permanent building (named for Sully Sullenberger) when it opens within the next several months. From the US1549 plane, to old USAir/Piedmont Memorabilia, and everything in between, the museum is awesome IMO. The fact that the museum was never ranked higher (yet the creepy Billy Graham Library was ranked #1) is a mystery to me. 

Science museums have a STEM impact in the community, especially amongst youth with low-socioeconomic status. The Discovery Place is great (although more geared for younger children), but it lacks an aerospace/engineering aspect that the Aviation Museum helps fill. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Thanks. I am a bit confused...nowhere did I insult NC or North Carolinians or label it with an adjective that folks here are insinuating that I did (someone used the term rube). I literally said that tastes ultimately differ. I did say that the Mountain region of NC was sad and depressing, which IMO, to me it is. Driving to Boone from Charlotte on 421, passing derelict buildings with "Trump Won" flags (especially near Wilkesboro) is depressing to me. Driving from Boone to Asheville (I forget what road that is) and seeing Confederate flags is sad to me. I guess I'm sorry that seeing such things makes me "sophisticated". 

The NY Red Bulls are playing at the BofA Stadium this weekend against the Charlotte FC, and the Red Bulls have several players from overseas...Brazil, Uruguay, UK, and Venezuela...by your metrics we need to count those visiting players as international tourists!!

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove? A man from New York is well travelled, likes the Outer Banks, almost bought a house there, but didn't. I have a friend from Raleigh that visited Seattle once, loved it, and wanted to transfer offices and buy a house there, but didn't. You could easily replicate that anecdote with any other city or state. 

Granted, I am a big fan of aviation, but I will say that the Carolinas Aviation Museum is world class. I'm really looking forward to their new permanent building (named for Sully Sullenberger) when it opens within the next several months. From the US1549 plane, to old USAir/Piedmont Memorabilia, and everything in between, the museum is awesome IMO. The fact that the museum was never ranked higher (yet the creepy Billy Graham Library was ranked #1) is a mystery to me. 

Science museums have a STEM impact in the community, especially amongst youth with low-socioeconomic status. The Discovery Place is great (although more geared for younger children), but it lacks an aerospace/engineering aspect that the Aviation Museum helps fill. 

Uh, Phillydog covered the issue with the Aviation Museum and most interesting points of interest in NC.  Lack of Marketing and an almost Gomer Pyle approach by NCarolinians, “well golly Andy, who would want to go see that piece of a thing”… it would be in neon lights in Atlanta and downtown.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Go back and reread your comments in this thread and maybe you'll get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I did say that the Mountain region of NC was sad and depressing, which IMO, to me it is. Driving to Boone from Charlotte on 421, passing derelict buildings with "Trump Won" flags (especially near Wilkesboro) is depressing to me. Driving from Boone to Asheville (I forget what road that is) and seeing Confederate flags is sad to me. I guess I'm sorry that seeing such things makes me "sophisticated". 

Welcome to Rural America.  The difference between a red state and a blue state is the percentage of the population that's rural versus urban.  Come out to California and I know exactly where to take you where you'll feel equally sad seeing Trump flags and Confederate flags.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Welcome to Rural America.  The difference between a red state and a blue state is the percentage of the population that's rural versus urban.  Come out to California and I know exactly where to take you where you'll feel equally sad seeing Trump flags and Confederate flags.

In the past year and a half I have travelled through Siskiyou, Kern, Shasta, and Lassen counties (all of which voted for Trump) and did not notice as many...I think Lassen is actually the most conservative county in the state in terms of presidential election results.  They were there, but not as may as you see in the South. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LKN704 said:

In the past year and a half I have travelled through Siskiyou, Kern, Shasta, and Lassen counties (all of which voted for Trump) and did not notice as many...I think Lassen is actually the most conservative county in the state in terms of presidential election results.  They were there, but not as may as you see in the South. 

Maybe drive through Elise Stefanik's district in New York sometime.  It seems she can't be Trumpy enough for her constituents.  Or come down to California 50th district and try campaigning for a Democrat as I did and see what happens.  You'll be watching your back.  Go over to the town of Ramona and some friends of mine can tell you about  a bar there to you where they proudly display a Confederate flag (as if the Confederacy had anything to do with California).  We've, unfortunately, had violence in San Diego with Trumpists from the region coming to our beach communities and causing trouble.  Then there was this:  https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2020-11-01/pro-trump-boat-parade-in-san-diego-bay-caravan-snarls-traffic-on-i-5-streets

San Diego is a very Democratic city but the Trumpists are not far away.  Even One America News is based in SD.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Maybe drive through Elise Stefanik's district in New York sometime.  It seems she can't be Trumpy enough for her constituents.  Or come down to California 50th district and try campaigning for a Democrat as I did and see what happens.  You'll be watching your back.  Go over to the town of Ramona and some friends of mine can tell you about  a bar there to you where they proudly display a Confederate flag (as if the Confederacy had anything to do with California).  We've, unfortunately, had violence in San Diego with Trumpists from the region coming to our beach communities and causing trouble.  Then there was this:  https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2020-11-01/pro-trump-boat-parade-in-san-diego-bay-caravan-snarls-traffic-on-i-5-streets

San Diego is a very Democratic city but the Trumpists are not far away.  Even One America News is based in SD.

OMG...The Trumpists in New England.  There are Trump and Confederate flags all over rural and suburban New England which is where the majority of the population lives.  Almost every city in New England is its region's dumping ground for the poor and disadvantaged.  Racism is well hidden and unreported by the national  media based there but it's not racial Nirvana said media and others would have you believe.  It was, after all, from Charlotte that Boston asked for help with desegregation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1